Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #1

Asahi 50mm f1.4 issue and question

Hi all, I just got this Pentax Asahi 50mm f 1.4, it's not a A or M, maybe earlier model. I have a few question, on the picture below, i got some shot with some fungus like stuff in the lens, doesn't look that serious or deep in to the lens, want to know how much would cost to clean this at local camera shop. Also, Is this 50mm any better than the A or M. because this is a bigger size, with 52mm filter size. Thanx

Attached Images

02-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
Hi all, I just got this Pentax Asahi 50mm f 1.4, it's not a A or M, maybe earlier model. I have a few question, on the picture below, i got some shot with some fungus like stuff in the lens, doesn't look that serious or deep in to the lens, want to know how much would cost to clean this at local camera shop. Also, Is this 50mm any better than the A or M. because this is a bigger size, with 52mm filter size. Thanx
That is what's known as the "K" model, it's a very good lens.

If the fungus has been there long enough, it can etch the coatings and cause permanent damage that can't be cleaned.

I know Eric would probably charge between $30 & $50 to clean it.

02-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just sent a Vivitar S1 zoom to Eric last week with a similar condition. While the Vivitar doesn't have the SMC coating he was able to complete the cleaning to what he described, in his very humble way, "came out good". I should be seeing it by Friday. In all, I'm really impressed by his service and attention to detail.