Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

so... about DA lenses

been reading around at other brand's forums as well. the conclusion that I see from everybody is that crop frame cameras will be with us for a very very long time. so buying EF-s or for us DA lenses its just about the decision if I! want to go full frame rather then crop sensors camera will not be with us anymore.. that's what I understand.
now would I ever want to have a full frame camera... sure
do I need a good zoom now... sure
what to do?... I don't know but more and more I'm getting to the decision to buy the 77 ltd now and avoid indoor situations where fast zoom is needed for now.

or maybe putting the 77 on one of my film bodies and the 31 on my k20D and have two focal length available for indoor walk about shoots. ( luckily I am not a wedding photographer yet )

on the other hand the DA lenses sounds so nice!! I want the enjoy them as well...

I think its time for me to stop reading forums and go out side and take some pics

02-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
been reading around at other brand's forums as well. the conclusion that I see from everybody is that crop frame cameras will be with us for a very very long time. so buying EF-s or for us DA lenses its just about the decision if I! want to go full frame rather then crop sensors camera will not be with us anymore.. that's what I understand.
now would I ever want to have a full frame camera... sure
do I need a good zoom now... sure
what to do?... I don't know but more and more I'm getting to the decision to buy the 77 ltd now and avoid indoor situations where fast zoom is needed for now.

or maybe putting the 77 on one of my film bodies and the 31 on my k20D and have two focal length available for indoor walk about shoots. ( luckily I am not a wedding photographer yet )

on the other hand the DA lenses sounds so nice!! I want the enjoy them as well...

I think its time for me to stop reading forums and go out side and take some pics
Buy now, what you need now! Pentax representatives made it very clear over the last 12 months, that they have no intention to go FF, though a new sensor might be slightly bigger, than APS-C.*If you have need for a certain zoom lens buy it and use it. You won't regret it, wheras otherwise you will always feel, that you haven't got the right lens for the job.

Ben
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Ben - get the lenses you want now. There will be quite a few people such as myself who have no need for the "full frame" 24x36 sensor. My k10d and its DA lenses is quite capable of producing fine quality prints up to at least 16x20 inches, and that is more than enough for any needs I will have.

Keep my name handy when you want to slough off those DA lenses when you go full frame!
02-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys and... I know
until today what I though that every body talking about is that Dslr cameras are all going to be FF in a few years. what I thought is that crop technology cant go any farther...
what I relay want is to have the 3-4 lenses that I will always need and to be able to use them no mater what k mount camera be available in the future .

what I always will need is a great normal prime, great portrait prime (here Pentax is the best). and then 24-70 and 70-200 zoom here Pentax is lacking unless I am getting the DA*s.
That set of lenses is a lot of money but I am trying to build it so I could use it for many many years and just get a newer body every few years or so

02-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

Lenses, unlike digital bodies, have very slow depreciation rate. Buy whatever you want and sell it later. Maybe you should worry about system that is closing down soon like the 4/3 mount other than that you are fine.
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even if Pentax does go full frame they will surely not ditch compatibility with DA lenses. I imagine they would incorporate a method by which DA lenses would be recognized as such, and in these cases only the APS-C sized area of the sensor would be used for creating the final image. I believe the Nikon D3 does something like this, but I'm not sure.