Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
I understand that there are a lot of factors that go into choosing a lens, so I'll try to explain most of the factors applicable to me in detail so I could gather good responses.

Existing Gear - I'm using a K100D and I still don't have a hotshoe flash (although I'm trying to see what would be a good one via this thread). The only two lenses I own right now is The Pentax 40/2.8 and Sigma 10-20.

Speed & Sharpness - Not much of a priority for me in looking for a good walkaround lens, but it's definitely nice to have.

Overall IQ - Average overall image quality will do.

Price Range - I'm really not good with prices. My strategy is usually just to look for good candidates to buy and to decide if the price is worth it. Although if pressed to give a price, I would venture a guess of around $400 off the top of my head... Don't put too much premium on it though.

Focal Range - Top priority right now, since I'm looking for flexibility. However, I've heard that most "super zooms" suffer from poor IQ especially at the extremes, so a modest focal length will do. Maybe something that starts out at the 20's and reaches the low-hundreds will do. But again, I'm open to suggestions. I've been considering the 17-70, but I wanted to gather opinions first.

Shooting Style - I don't shoot people too much because I'm a generally shy person. I prefer shooting found objects... mundane things... people when they aren't looking... candid shots... very casual stuff.

I hope I'm not too vague. If any other info is needed, I'd be glad to provide more information. Just ask
Why don't you go to photozone.de and look at their reviews--or a similar site? BTW, as for your shyness comment: someone on the board didn't know what the benefit of SDM is: the AF motor won't turn heads, animal or human.