Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pictures taken of, and with, my new 70mm Limited!

My new Pentax 70mm f/2.4 limited arrived today, and I thought I would share my initial experience with it, and show you some pictures.

Now this is my first Limited, and upon taking it out of the bag, it feels like the precision instrument that it is. It is all metal, including the screw-on hood and the lens cap. This is the first all-metal lens that I have owned since shooting film years ago.

It is remarkably smooth and quiet in operation, especially the quick-shift focus. I have felt the quick-shift on the DA* lenses as well as the new kit lens, and they feel nothing like this. On those lenses the quick shift feels like you are slightly "dragging" or fighting the AF, but on this lens, it is so smooth, you can't even tell the AF is operating when you override it. The AF is also quite fast and accurate.

The lens is also very light which is remarkable considering you have a relatively fast 70mm f/2.4 on the front of the camera, and you can't even tell it is there!

Now for some pictures. As soon as I got it, I went to campus to shoot some pics. (These are nothing artistic, but I think they show the sharpness performance of the lens.)

First, here are pictures of the lens on my k20d taken with my k10d, and kit lens. (I like the way the 70ltd looks )

k20d with 70mm, screw-on telescoping hood, hood and lens cap:

Here is a pic of the library at f/2.4 (wide open)

A pic of the union f/5.6:

Notice that tiny little person, and that tiny little sign in the previous pic? Now notice at 100% crop, you can read the sign, and recognize the person:

A fractionation research distillation plant f/3.5:

100% crop. Crazy-high contrast in the pic, and no CA to be seen:

I don't think I have to tell you that I am really enjoying this lens. I could see myself over time, buying a pancake kit of 2 or 3 lenses. Now I see what all the "fuss" is about over Limited lenses.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-11-2009 at 11:11 PM.
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are all of the shots taken with the lens wide open?
02-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Are all of the shots taken with the lens wide open?
Sorry about that. I am usually good about posting the f-stop. I mixed things up a bit so there are a variety of apertures. They are now included with the descriptions.
02-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Interesting how much shorter it looks than the FA 77mm after putting it on the body.

Wish Pentax hadn't chost that ghastly green for the ring color either...

02-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I like the green metallic color! It matches many of the highlights on Pentax DSLR's. I also think that green means "DA" lens in Pentax coloring right? Gold is DA* I think.
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #6

Great looking lens, and great photos. Great looking campus, too! (Just connected the dots on your sig - Go Pokes!)
02-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Ahhhh

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote

Now this is my first Limited,...
The beginning of a love affair

Is it not a beautiful sight to behold?

Enjoy the season...
02-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Images look good to me, I hope your pleased with them, cos you should be.

02-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are very fine images to show off the capability of the lens, thank you. This looks indeed so good, that I am tempted to add one of these tiny lenses to my store...

Ben
02-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cicak Quote
Great looking lens, and great photos. Great looking campus, too! (Just connected the dots on your sig - Go Pokes!)
Go Pokes!
02-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Absolutely superb, the shots of the library show very good sharpness and contrast. I'd love to see more shots.
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Interesting how much shorter it looks than the FA 77mm after putting it on the body.

what's wrong with that green ring? I rather like it...

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
The beginning of a love affair

Is it not a beautiful sight to behold?

Enjoy the season...
agree herer, once you get one ltd, you'll want more of them. Way to go!
I agree that DA ltds look great, and I have to say that these shots added extra weight to vote for 70ltd. I think this one is on the top of the shopping list now... though sadly I think it's going to stay there (on the list) for a while...
but for you pentaxpoke:
ENJOY and keep us posted
BR