Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I own the DA 40 as well. If you took the hood off it would probably be a little thicker than two UV filters when attached to your camera. It's pretty neat, but the lens is somewhat of a disapointment IMO.
why is that?
I' ve loved this lens since the first moment I attached to my cam. And it hasn't let me down ever since...
BR

02-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
why is that?
I' ve loved this lens since the first moment I attached to my cam. And it hasn't let me down ever since...
BR

I've only had it a couple months now and haven't used it that much. But let's just say I've gone through several focus charts. Every time I do things look okay, I make adjustments, but I usually end up right back on the default setting--nothing seems to really help. I've tried focusing manually, but even then I haven't seen any noticeable improvement. Now the weird thing is (keep in mind I'm impatient and I'm constantly swapping lenses), I switched back to the Auto AF Points setting one day when I was shooting some pics of my niece's birthday (I wasn't exactly trying hard to take good shots, just flattering everyone) and suddenly those images appeared much sharper. That's my next experiment with this lens I guess. Now, here's one more thing: there seems to be a lot of play/wiggling back and forth when it's attached to my camera. Could that be my problem? Is it a problem? I don't know. It's not me though I swear! At least I hope not.
02-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

sometimes the AF spots are not exactly as marked in the finder, you have to test that out sometimes. that might be youre problem?
02-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I switched back to the Auto AF Points setting one day when I was shooting some pics of my niece's birthday and suddenly those images appeared much sharper.
A lot of people don't realize just how large the AF "points" are. I measured mine by putting the camera in center-only AF mode, drawing a black dot on a white piece of paper, and then trying to get an AF lock with the dot appearing at various positions in the viewfinder. The area over which I could get a lock is shown below.

The camera can legitimately focus on ANYTHING within that area, so you have to be sure that EVERYTHING in that area with enough contrast for the AF sensor to lock onto is at the right distance.

02-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
sometimes the AF spots are not exactly as marked in the finder, you have to test that out sometimes. that might be youre problem?
QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson:
A lot of people don't realize just how large the AF "points" are. I measured mine by putting the camera in center-only AF mode, drawing a black dot on a white piece of paper, and then trying to get an AF lock with the dot appearing at various positions in the viewfinder. The area over which I could get a lock is shown below.

The camera can legitimately focus on ANYTHING within that area, so you have to be sure that EVERYTHING in that area with enough contrast for the AF sensor to lock onto is at the right distance.
This is interesting. I will check this out ASAP. Thanks guys.