Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DFA 100 macro survived the banging on the floor!

The other day I was walking down a steep hill along the stairs. My DFA 100 macro came out of the bag while I was walking down the steps. It bang and bang on the stone steps... one ... two... three ... til 7 or 8 bangs altogether!

My heart sank and picked it up quickly to check the front element. The B+W filter is still there, not cracked or anything. I shook the whole lens - no sound of broken glass hitting the lens barrel!

Quickly I whacked the lens onto k10d body. Initially it kind of AF slowly and hunt a bit - then it works perfectly like how it is used to.

Seriously I had previous experience with my canon L primes broken like that only after 1 bang!

This plasticky feel compact DFA macro is amazing!! It survived that sort of lens onslaught and still performs like new. Now I love this baby even more!

That plastic material in contrusction is quoted even tougher than the metal construction in limited lens series. It is true!

03-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lucky, i know of some one that had a 17-40 f4 L drop two feet the ground and was written off, beyond economical repair.
03-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow. I can imagine how you felt, James. That sickening feeling as hit hit the ground, you watching it bounce and there is nothing you can do about it. Just be thankful it wasn't the A200 f4 macro which is almost irrelplaceable!

Luckily everything turned out ok? Hopefully the elements are ok and not out of alignment.
03-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Lucky, i know of some one that had a 17-40 f4 L drop two feet the ground and was written off, beyond economical repair.
Lucky for me too. But the lens really survived the whole banging!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Wow. I can imagine how you felt, James. That sickening feeling as hit hit the ground, you watching it bounce and there is nothing you can do about it. Just be thankful it wasn't the A200 f4 macro which is almost irrelplaceable!

Luckily everything turned out ok? Hopefully the elements are ok and not out of alignment.

Thanks, Lance. The lens is still intact.

Funnily, when the lens was bouncing off the steps like a jumping rabbit, I was wondering whether I had used the lens often enough ...

The lens was basicly like new after the whole fiasco. It was damn scary!

03-29-2007, 04:28 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i know the feeling. just think how i felt when after hearing the quick release click and letting go to have my500mm f4.5 fall and hit the mount end. shearded off 3 screws inside the lens and ruined the mount module. just think what would have happened if the cam had been on it.
03-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh man haha. I cringed more at the thought of the lens plummeting to the ground than when I was watching Eddie Griffin plow 1 of 400 Ferrari Enzos into a concrete barrier!

Haha Tokina's earned my acceptance in its co-designing of pentax lenses now!
03-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

*takes note not to buy roentarre's 100mm macro*
03-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I know the feeling! You cringe watching that lens just bounce and roll.

I dropped my Sears 135mm/2.8 a few days ago on a carpetted stairwell and I just froze as it went down the entire flight. The thing was only 10 bucks, but I still couldn't believe my reaction. Picked it up right away...seemed alright considering the total drop was 7 or 8 feet.

03-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The other day I was walking down a steep hill along the stairs. My DFA 100 macro came out of the bag while I was walking down the steps. It bang and bang on the stone steps... one ... two... three ... til 7 or 8 bangs altogether!

My heart sank and picked it up quickly to check the front element. The B+W filter is still there, not cracked or anything. I shook the whole lens - no sound of broken glass hitting the lens barrel!

Quickly I whacked the lens onto k10d body. Initially it kind of AF slowly and hunt a bit - then it works perfectly like how it is used to.

Seriously I had previous experience with my canon L primes broken like that only after 1 bang!

This plasticky feel compact DFA macro is amazing!! It survived that sort of lens onslaught and still performs like new. Now I love this baby even more!

That plastic material in contrusction is quoted even tougher than the metal construction in limited lens series. It is true!
Did you say a small pray to the Pentax gods afterwards?

Lucky you James! Glad to know it's OK. I cringe at the idea of ever accidently dropping one of my FA* lenses... That's why they're in their padded Lowepro lens cases when not in use.

Now get out there and show us it's working...

Cheers,
Marc
03-30-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
. just think what would have happened if the cam had been on it.
I hope not! The lens was actually inside my Lowpro bag. I was sort of leaning my body forward and the lens came out of the bag...

QuoteOriginally posted by Vulpix Quote
*takes note not to buy roentarre's 100mm macro*
Not that I want to sell it in the near future :P

p.s. how's your new Fa* 300 4.5?

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote

Haha Tokina's earned my acceptance in its co-designing of pentax lenses now!
Besides 12-24 f4, what else is tokina involved in pentax lens design? The new Da* zooms? Or the Fish Eye?

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I cringe at the idea of ever accidently dropping one of my FA* lenses... That's why they're in their padded Lowepro lens cases when not in use.
No. Don't drop it!

Darren showed me this Fa* 300 f2.8 in a Taipei camera shop. Wow, it is a beautiful lens. The price tag is 3600 US brand new. Never being used. I hoped no one buy that lens til I come back to snatch that one up ...

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Now get out there and show us it's working...

Cheers,
Marc
Yeah, it is still working beautifully

03-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Yup, been there, done that, felt the sinking feeling. I watched my 'D bounce a couple of times soon after I bought it. Just 1 filter broken and all was fine...and I learnt to put it in a different spot in my camera bag unless I left the zip open!
03-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I think plastic can be good

I reckon more expensive plastic designs can be tougher because the right kind of plastic will probably absorb impact better.

I wouldn't like to drop my F 100-300mm though. I think the slightest impact would break it open. It brings a new meaning to the words 'floating element' (I have no idea whether this lens does have floating elements it just feels like everything is only just in balance).

That said, it was cheap and has so far come up with some nice pictures, so until I can afford some nice 300mm I can't really complain.

The price of that 300mm f2.8 sounds quite reasonable. It dread to think how much such a lens would go for over here. I've seen a used Tamron 300mm f2.8, the old non-IF version, in a used condition going for 600 at a dealer here! Doesn't even have a mount with it.