Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Wow.

Yeah .. that's all i can think of as well.
All lenses are in top condition as well

02-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
Well, I got it. Yes, it's an M42 mount. But it wasn't a good price... it's broken. If you look at the pictures in the auction, you can see the rear site next to the tripod mount. I've already taken it apart and found three screws sheared off... but that's the least of the troubles. The third element from the front (104mm) has haze damage to the coating, and will need to be polished and recoated. I've sent an email to focalpoint for an estimate, and an email to the seller mentioning my dissatisfaction.

Happy Valentines day!?
For once I did something right by not giving in to LBA

I hope the seller makes it good for you Mark.

Ray
02-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Cant understand people selling to "continental america" "US only". Could easily get twice the price and having the buyger pay for shipping if they sold to EU also
02-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man, that's a bummer, Mark! Makes me realize how lucky I've been in my acquisitions. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction!

02-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
Well, I got it. Yes, it's an M42 mount. But it wasn't a good price... it's broken. If you look at the pictures in the auction, you can see the rear site next to the tripod mount. I've already taken it apart and found three screws sheared off... but that's the least of the troubles. The third element from the front (104mm) has haze damage to the coating, and will need to be polished and recoated. I've sent an email to focalpoint for an estimate, and an email to the seller mentioning my dissatisfaction.

Happy Valentines day!?
I would return it and get a full refund, including all shipping charges to and from the seller. If he doesn't comply, file a claim with PayPal.

This lens isn't so rare that you can't find another copy in good condition if you wait for it.
02-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #51
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Mark, that totally sucks but forget having the lens repaired. I bet it would cost as much as you paid to have it fixed if that is even possible. The seller claimed it was, lens in new like condition no fungus or scratches ordust. and he has a 7 day return policy listed on the auction. These are not common but they do come up every once in awhile. There is no way you could tell from those pictures, there was a serious issue.

Get your money back and return it. If he doesn't respond in a positive fashion, put in a Paypal claim.
02-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #52
m8o
Veteran Member

I just looked-up Mark's sale item. Looked to be a lot better than the one I "accidentally bought", but backed-out of after discovering the condition was nowhere near as advertised. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/41203-crud-i-j...0mm-4-5-a.html

The seller just just kept saying "dude, the lens is clean". But after he couldn't answer whether it was a K-mount or M42 mount (in and of itself a big red flag) so posted bigger pictures of the mount (m42) and I saw the corrosion on the outside, I said "no way". But by then I'd already bid, really low, but ended-up winning anyway.

This settles it for me. Gotta be careful of this old lens. If LBA ever takes hold again with this lens, I'm only going to buy it from KEH or a respected member with history on this board.
02-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Mark, that totally sucks but forget having the lens repaired. I bet it would cost as much as you paid to have it fixed if that is even possible. The seller claimed it was, lens in new like condition no fungus or scratches ordust. and he has a 7 day return policy listed on the auction. These are not common but they do come up every once in awhile. There is no way you could tell from those pictures, there was a serious issue.

Get your money back and return it. If he doesn't respond in a positive fashion, put in a Paypal claim.
The seller hasn't responded yet. I'm pretty sure he's gone to Daytona... since some of his other auctions were for Daytona tickets.
What really suck, is I have the lens completely apart... save for the aperture mechanism. My only cost would be for the third element, which is already out of the lens. I took it apart because I thought the haze would clean off. And then through research I thought the screws had come loose allowing the rear assembly to turn... I didn't do enough research... the rear assembly will wobble if loose, but will turn only if the screws are broken. They would be a b*tch to fix, but I'm sure I could. The worst case scenario would be I'd have to drill out and retap the holes for a slightly larger screw... but they should probably be bigger anyway, seeing how they broke once.
I guess my concern at this point is; Is slapping it back together and asking for a full refund the right thing to do? I already have three hours in it, and putting it back together broken seems like such a waste. I would like to ask the seller for a partial refund to cover the cost of recoating, but that seems fishey. I think I will wait and see how he responds to my email. I didn't ask for a refund, but maybe he'll offer a partial. I know he's cheap... He charged 30 dollars to ship, and didn't even insure it.

02-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #54
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I don't know how to answer this. I would have just asked for a full return and refund. My way of looking at it is, you aren't there to save an old Pentax lens, just get a fair deal. Who knows if you can even get the element even fixed, how much and when replaced, will the lens even work as it should? There's just too many variables. If you could have cleaned it yourself, then fine. But you can't I guess.

Re assemble the lens and wait till he responds. Send it back.
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #55

Well.. I reassembled the lens and waited for the seller to reply. When I got home from work he had sent an email offering a full refund that included shipping both ways. He also said he would listen to any offers and had included his phone number. I called him and listened to his story about how he had noticed the lens looked dirty, and had taken it to a shop to have it cleaned. The shop guy charged him ninety dollars to clean the lens and told him the coating was gone from one of the elements and could not be fixed, but did not mention anything about the lens being broken!

To make a long story short, I offered him fifty dollars for the lens, and he accepted. I took the lens back apart tonight, and after about two hour of trying, removed two of the three screws that were sheared off. The last one is quite the little bugger. Now I need to find three counter-sink 2mm screws that are at least 5mm long. Grade 8 preferably. With that I can at least get the lens to focus. As far as recoating the lens goes, I will wait and see if I can find a donor someday. I did take a couple of test shots after I reassembled the lens, and the contrast wasn't the worst I'd ever seen.

Here's the test pic... hand held at dusk, pp'd the contrast and brightness.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #56
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well I think your solution is better than any of our suggestions. For $50, it looks like the lens can do fine with a little PP help.