Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Igilligan

I blame Jsherman999 and Hinman

But mostly my own weakness
Somebody stop me!

My Lba has gone in cycles and is now running amok - at first it was current Af lenses (DA 50-200 / tamron 28-75 / FA 50 ) - then a tak period where I bought a bucket load of old pentax MF primes- then I was cured... I went on 'Entertainment Tonight' claiming that the treatment had worked and I was done buying lenses, because they would not make me a better photog.

But then I got a Helios from Jay and now I am full on out of control again... In the last couple of days, these have arrived at my door - Jay's Vivi 28mm close focus -
an M42 Vivitar 135 2.8 (that I think I am gonna love, sharp as a tack at 2.8)
- a pentacon auto 50 -1.8 (because 7 50mm lenses are not enough)
and to add insult to injury an Industar 50mm 3.5 (because 8 50mm lenses are not enough)
The industar puts the P in pancake... makes my DA 40 look almost like a bigma.
Ok that is a bit of a stretch...

It is raining so not a lot of test shots... they will come in time of course.

But my question is... do any of you think you have LBA under control for a while and then loose it?
I honestly was going to stop buying these cheap lenses and save for the DA 50-135... But that damn Jupiter 9 from Hin and then the Helios from Jay... and I was back on the stuff again... finding myself in the shady sections of Ebay looking for a quick fix. 25 bucks a pop!
Now look at me... it is sad really.

Vivitar 135 2.5 $25 shipped

Industar 50 3.5 $24 shipped

Pentacon 50 1.8 close focus - $ 32 shipped

These old lenses really are like drugs... Ironic that the prices at 25 - 30 dollars are similar in cost to a bag o' drugs or a bottle of wine...

I love and hate backwards compatibility...

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-12-2009 at 05:06 PM.
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Vivitar 135 2.5 $25 shipped
When you get tired of the Vivitar 135/2.8, drop me a PM. I would really like to have one of those for film.

Steve
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Igilligan

Steve, when I tire of it, I will PM you... although that is my other LBA issue, I have never sold one. In my mind, if they are not good enough for me then I would not want to dump them on someone else and if they are good enough for me I have trouble selling them...

It's ugly.

But this vivi looks really nice so when it has sat too long... I promise to pm you.
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

a few shots with the industar 50 would be much appreciated...it's got it's claws in me!

02-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yin and Yan

Gus: Life MUST be Yin/Yan - I am in full LIQUIDATION mode right now, and you are buying - care to come in to my parlor? :ugh:

I committed to shooting with whatever I have left when I am finished selling and that has made it easier to let go of some really nice lenses and cameras.

I have sold the following: K2, ME, MX, K50/1.2, K24/2.8, K135/3.5, K 50/1.4 (I had two), M75~150 ZOOM, M40/2.8, M50/1.4, 2x M50/2.0, M28/2.8 and M50/1.7, SMC T135/3.5, SMC T35/3.5, Super Tak 200/4, K200/4, Vivitar MFTC 2x, Manual Extension Tubes K, DA55~200; and there are more coming, then filters, hoods, cases, bags (I literally have bags that I have emptied since I started selling), and stuff.

My signature lists what I plan to keep - and even that is more than I really need. I withdrew from the Marketplace a pristine Viv S1 70-210 that I got from Jay. It is just such a nice lens that no matter how hard I try, I can't let it go.

No doubt I will buy lenses and stuff again (that in a moment of sober reflection I never needed and shouldn't have bought). And it will start all over again.

In fact, since the PayPal account has cash in it I couldn't resist the temptation and bought a Spotmatic F & SMC T55/1.8 from Chris Platt. Like I needed a screwmount KX !!!
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Igilligan

You got it...

figmental,

give me a couple of days and the rain and clouds should clear.

It is so tiny and the aperture control is weird but the couple of shots I took in the break in the rain looked ok for f3.5
02-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Igilligan

Ummhh

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Gus: Life MUST be Yin/Yan - I am in full LIQUIDATION mode right now, and you are buying - care to come in to my parlor? :ugh:

No doubt I will buy lenses and stuff again (that in a moment of sober reflection I never needed and shouldn't have bought). And it will start all over again.

In fact, since the PayPal account has cash in it I couldn't resist the temptation and bought a Spotmatic F & SMC T55/1.8 from Chris Platt. Like I needed a screwmount KX !!!
Wait a minute, "I am in full on liquidation mode... then I couldn't resist the temptation and bought a Spotmatic F & SMC T55/1.8.."
That is some crazy full on liquidation mode....

Ha ha, Yin and Yan and apparently a bunch in the middle...

I ain't goin nowhere near your parlor, unless you have a few russian or east german beauties that I could spend some time with for a little cash....

02-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
But my question is... do any of you think you have LBA under control for a while and then loose it?
I think in since I got my K10D in Nov 2007 the longest I've gone without buying a lens for it has been the three months right after I bought it. After I get a 85mm 1.4 I'll be done for a while. At least for 3 or 4 months. I swear.

But that promise only applies to lenses. I may "have" to get a new body. Either a K20D or a newer model depending what Pentax announces at PMA. Plus, I'll probably invest in some mounting supplies so I can try my hand at selling some prints in stores and at the summer art fairs around here. It would be nice to make back some of the money I've invested in equipment.

Photography is a hopeless obssession.
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait a minute, "I am in full on liquidation mode... then I couldn't resist the temptation and bought a Spotmatic F & SMC T55/1.8.."
That is some crazy full on liquidation mode....

Ha ha, Yin and Yan and apparently a bunch in the middle...

I ain't goin nowhere near your parlor, unless you have a few russian or east german beauties that I could spend some time with for a little cash....
Truly LOL!!!

I forgot the irony tag - yes I am just like everyone else here - despite being in full liquidation mode I bought something I don't need - but it IS a really cool camera.

Let's see, what kind of film . . .
02-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I know what you're going through... except for the $25 a pop part--wish I had that down!
02-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think it is infectious - truly. I know Hin was being very calm about his LBA moratorium, then all of a sudden he fell off the wagon. I did the same, just went crazy last 60 days or so (Cosina 55 1.2, Nokton 58 1.4, Viv 105 2.8, 3 Taks at once (28, 50, 105,) A 50 2.8 macro (sold)).

But now I'm cured.

(But today I was in the local store and bought an Auto Vivitar (Kiron) 28 2.5 screw mount for a good price because it was shiny.)

OK, now I'm really cured, though.

02-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Igilligan

The shiny ones are the hardest

I can never resist those...
02-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Are you sure Jay?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/49394-thepirate...your-gain.html

Not that I'm saying you should buy a couple Zeiss or Voigtlanders.... I'm just saying is all
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve, when I tire of it, I will PM you... although that is my other LBA issue, I have never sold one. In my mind, if they are not good enough for me then I would not want to dump them on someone else and if they are good enough for me I have trouble selling them...

It's ugly.

But this vivi looks really nice so when it has sat too long... I promise to pm you.
Thanks! I tend to horde them as well. I currently own several more lenses than are listed on my signature...all at almost the same focal length! Two (yes, two) XR Rikenon 50/2 and a Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8 (M-42). Let me see, that make 1, 2, 3...yes, 6 fast 50s and one not quite so fast 50 for a total of 7.

Steve

(Shame, shame, shame on me...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-12-2009 at 08:13 PM.
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think it is infectious - truly. I know Hin was being very calm about his LBA moratorium, then all of a sudden he fell off the wagon. I did the same, just went crazy last 60 days or so (Cosina 55 1.2, Nokton 58 1.4, Viv 105 2.8, 3 Taks at once (28, 50, 105,) A 50 2.8 macro (sold)).

But now I'm cured.

(But today I was in the local store and bought an Auto Vivitar (Kiron) 28 2.5 screw mount for a good price because it was shiny.)

I took the LBA challenge this last fall and made it from September until this week. My downfall was indulging in a little CBA. I picked up a Ricoh XR-2s with a XR Rikenon 50/2. The Rikenon is such a nice lens that when I saw another one on eBay in good condition I decided to get it for my Ricoh XR7. It was only $15.51 and I hardly even noticed the bump when I fell off the wagon.

Steve

(Now, what to do with the Pentax-M 50/1.7 that was on the XR7...)