Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Lens standing

I've always wondered where some of my older glass would rank.
From what I can tell they are all mid range, but I'd love input from you guys.

Vivitar 28MM 2.5:

SMC Takumar 135MM 3.5:

Vivitar 85-205MM 3.8:

Thanks

02-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned the Takumar 135/3.5 in preset for many years, and had no complaints. The s-m-c version should be even better. I am not familiar with the Vivitars.
02-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I've never seen that vivitar zoom!
More on the Tak 135 can be found in the database:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F3.5

One thing though--your images are all beautiful, but huge! The three of them total to 3 MB, which might frustrate some people. Try and compress for web, to about 200k or less each, maybe.
02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the point of this question is, that being said it's a good excuse to look at nice & interesting camera equipment pictures. I think you can generalize that the faster, OEM glass is higher end and slower third-party glass would be lower-end, though some of the vivitars could be very good...I'm sure there are others here who know more about the various Vivitar issues. In the case of the 28, you would typically see offerings in the f/2-3.5 range. 67mm is a big filter size for a 28. Your 85-205 seems to be on the faster side for a telezoom, and its somewhat unusual for its vintage in that it's a two-touch zoom. I'll bet that's a heavy beast. f/3.5 are on the slow side for 135's, but within their operating envelope can be quite good.

I imagine that to some extent oddball ratings like f/2.5 and f/3.8 are attempts by third-party lense manufacturers to distinguish themselves from the OEM's who tended to stick to the more standard ratings.

02-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I owned the Takumar 135/3.5 in preset for many years, and had no complaints. The s-m-c version should be even better. I am not familiar with the Vivitars.
O yeah, I'm quite fond of that lens. It's built like a tank and is a pleasure to use.

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Wow, I've never seen that vivitar zoom!
More on the Tak 135 can be found in the database:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F3.5

One thing though--your images are all beautiful, but huge! The three of them total to 3 MB, which might frustrate some people. Try and compress for web, to about 200k or less each, maybe.
It looks like the database has been updated since I've last been in there. Or i just missed it some how the other time lol. Yeah the Vivitar zoom is a fine piece of work, but I haven't been able to find to much info on it. All the reviews are just on the Series 1 line up.
Pics have been re-sized

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I'm not sure what the point of this question is, that being said it's a good excuse to look at nice & interesting camera equipment pictures. I think you can generalize that the faster, OEM glass is higher end and slower third-party glass would be lower-end, though some of the vivitars could be very good...I'm sure there are others here who know more about the various Vivitar issues. In the case of the 28, you would typically see offerings in the f/2-3.5 range. 67mm is a big filter size for a 28. Your 85-205 seems to be on the faster side for a telezoom, and its somewhat unusual for its vintage in that it's a two-touch zoom. I'll bet that's a heavy beast. f/3.5 are on the slow side for 135's, but within their operating envelope can be quite good.

I imagine that to some extent oddball ratings like f/2.5 and f/3.8 are attempts by third-party lense manufacturers to distinguish themselves from the OEM's who tended to stick to the more standard ratings.
Well I'm just trying to get a feel where these lenses rank. I've always been curious, so why not post here where people know a lot about them.
From what I can tell, the 135MM seems to be a solid lens. The 80- 205MM looks to be average for back in the day and the 28MM doesn't seem to be anything special. It would be nice to know if those are correct assessments.

The 80-205MM does have a nice weight to it, but I prefer heavier lenses so it's nice. However it doesn't get much use since I just use my Sigma 70-200MM 2.8

Bob
02-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Vivitar 28 2.5 is a screw-mount, right?

I used to own that lens, sold it, and then just bought another when I saw
another in a local store for a good price.

It's made by Kiron (22xx SN,) and is a pretty good 28 - sharper than most
zooms by f/4, and very usable wide-open.

The S-M-C Tak 135 needs no introduction, steller lens. Not sure about the Viv
zoom.

Here's a shot taken by that Viv 28 (my 1st copy)

02-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The Vivitar 28 2.5 is a screw-mount, right?

I used to own that lens, sold it, and then just bought another when I saw
another in a local store for a good price.

It's made by Kiron (22xx SN,) and is a pretty good 28 - sharper than most
zooms by f/4, and very usable wide-open.

The S-M-C Tak 135 needs no introduction, steller lens. Not sure about the Viv
zoom.

Here's a shot taken by that Viv 28 (my 1st copy)

-Snip-
Thanks for the info.
Yup, all three of these lenses are M42 screw mounts.

Nice shot, looks like I'll have to give it a better test

02-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
Any one have any more info?