Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Takin' My Lumps- DA*50-135

Just got off the phone with Pentax Service Dept. My DA*50-135 repair cost is $253.

When I had shipped it to them for evaluation, I had included a letter eloquently describing the problem (defective auto-focus), as well as detailing my history of Pentax product loyalty, and my disappointment with the quality control record of these "top-of-the-line" DA* zooms (my 16-50 had to be replaced, as well).

It made no difference- the lens was a bit less than two months beyond the warranty period; so, as far as Pentax is concerned, it's out of warranty, period.

I knew there was a problem, -before- the warranty expired, but I failed to fully investigate / diagnose it at the time. I guess I have no one to blame but myself for not addressing it when I could have. I'm biting the bullet 'cause I like this lens, but I'm still pi$$ed. So if any of you are experiencing problems with your DA*50-135 auto-focus, don't delay! Procrastination can be costly.
Paul

02-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've read exactly the opposite on the dpr forums. This is quite strange. I suppose service quality differs according to geographic location?
02-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you pay by credit card? Often your card company will extend the mfgr's warranty an extra year. Call them and check it out.

M
02-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

Sorry to hear that.
Agree with the Credit Card suggestion, they may offer extended warranty.
Then for the repair, did they tell you what went wrong? and how they are to fix it,
and if they are going to warrantee their repair? -- 1 year warranty is simply not
enough.

Wishes.

Pinwu

02-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Igilligan

This truly sucks

Was it an issue with the AF SDM drive? Or just AF out issues?

If they have a problem with the AF motors on this lens... they should be fixing it even if these slide out of warranty.

I want to get one, but the more I hear about the SDM issues the more I may just go third party.
02-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought one used from a photog who was jumping ship to C. Seemed like a nice guy through emails.

Anyways...Last month I my 50-135 kinda failed me. Basically when I mount the lens to my camera, I need to flip the AF/MF on the barrel and half press the shutter to make sure the camera will AF. It sucks. Its just out of warranty, but luckily the guy I bought it from bought a 3rd party warranty which was transferred to me. I'm starting to think more and more this may be worth it for more expensive lenses, maybe with SDM.

That being said, the 50-135 is still one of the best lenses I have owned. I'll make it work.
02-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i wonder how hard it would be for Pentax to go to Canon and say please can we licence your lens motors and use them in our lenses.

02-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion about the credit card additional warranty, I will pursue that. Yea the SDM was going bad, it would just lock up at different times, or the focus lock indicator in the VF would show in focus even when it clearly was not, or focusing really slow, and the motor was starting to squeak. Kind of like Qksilver showed on his YouTube video, but not to that extent. I'm not the haggling type, so I don't like to get into arguments over the phone. Like I said, I suspected a problem a while ago, I should have acted sooner. Although compared to Tamron's 6-year warranty, Pentax doesn't seem very generous with only one year.
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

Just ship to pentax my 50-135

Well same issue, autofocus decided to stop working.

(in Canada we have 2 years warranty but I've got this lens for less than a year).

As many said, I reported that its sad, as I really love this amazing lens... will look forward to get it back asap

So after this I will have to look into my 16-50 DA* that is working perfectly for the
image and focus but as many also reported I feel a bit of stiffness when I get near 28mm but as long as my pics are nice I'm not saying anything...
02-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmmm?

May I ask if SDM conks out, is it possible to activate the screw drive option, or is the mechanical drive missing from the 50-135?
02-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Somebody in a different post implied that it could be possible, if Pentax came up with the firmware update. Kind of a "back-up" system. That would be a nice option. I believe you could always use the "catch-in-focus" method though, even if the SDM failed.
02-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #12

In the UK part of the Sale of Goods Act 1974 has a section which states that the item must be fit for purpose. For this to fail so soon out of warranty would deem it not fit for purpose as you would expect it to last for a far longer time. If this was to have happened in the UK, Pentax would still be liable!

If you have ever wondered why warranties always have the phrase 'this does not affect your statutory rights' at the end of them, this is one of the reasons why. It's just a shame that it is not more common knowledge because it makes it easier for companies to get away with things they shouldn't!

Not sure if you have similar consumer laws in the States, but it might be worth your while to check it out?
02-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Warranties

Just my impression but it seems some of the European countries like the UK or France are a little stronger on consumer rights. But length of warranty IS one thing to be considered in the decision to purchase. My LBA is nearly satisfied at this point (hahahahaha!), but I'm probably done buying Pentax lenses for a while. I've got two Tamron lenses now (28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8) that are less expensive, and yet the optical is (IMO) just as good- AND they come with 6-year warranties. So this may be a deciding factor for me in the future.