Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Samsung 10-17

Where to buy Samsung 10-17?

I already own Samsung d-xenon, cost me 133 at mimovrste=) - Spletni nakupovalni center. Lens are perfect, same product as DA 50-200 but for half price.

I hope for the same price ratio as in case for DA 50-200.

03-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung announced the release of a 10-17 mm FE lens back in Sept. 2006 from what I can recall at DPR. I haven't seen or heard about Samsung's lens line up since then. The only two lenses I know that are actively being sold in Canada are the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm, and those are hard to come by.

The other lenses that were announced back in September were the 12-24/4 ED AL, 16-45/4 ED AL, 35/2 AL and 100/2.8 Macro.
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Haha Samsung stuff aren't actively sold at all. Neither is the MZ-M. I just happened to come across some new GX-1L kits at a Japan Camera at Scarborough Town Centre last year and the price was right. Samsung gear is usually sold in places that don't carry Pentax. Like how the Olympus E400 was sold in europe but not in North America.

I'd go for the pentax unless price is a big issue. The SMC coating is better.
03-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote

I'd go for the pentax unless price is a big issue. The SMC coating is better.
By my unscientific testing between the 50-200s, my dad owning the pentax version, me with the samsung, and conducting a flare test by shining a torch down the lens, trying to produce flare, the results from the lenses where identical, almost no flare at all. The elements also look that same, same clours and similar reflectance patterns, as far as i can tell the coatings are similar, to the point of delivering identical performance, so i would hazard a guess that the samsung lenses do indeed have a SMC coating.

03-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well how is the contrast? I doubt Pentax would give Samsung its SMC coatings. And Samsungs are badged Schneiders right?
04-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

hmm...has anyone have other experience with samsung 10-17....? I've bought for this lens..but in my hands yet..still waiting. I've tried to searching entire the internet and didn't find any review....but I still curious with other experience or maybe some testimony for this lens.....hope somebody have it
04-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vegabraveian Quote
hmm...has anyone have other experience with samsung 10-17....? I've bought for this lens..but in my hands yet..still waiting. I've tried to searching entire the internet and didn't find any review....but I still curious with other experience or maybe some testimony for this lens.....hope somebody have it
It is exactly the same lens as the Pentax DA 10-17 Fish eye. Coatings and everything are the same. Pentax made it look a little different cosmetically. Samsung badges their lenses as "Schneider" lenses, but my understanding is that they are just paying to use the name, something like Sony did with Zeiss.
04-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Coatings and everything are the same.
I've read that optically they are identic but that coatings and barrel design are different...wich confused me because at some point i've read that, at least for my 50-200, they were made in the same Hanoi factory.
I am very satisfied with that 50-200..it was a lot cheaper than the pentax, came with metal mount and quick shift feature... I'm not sure if the Coatings and barrel are the same or not but the lens delivers.

Samsung badges their lenses as "Schneider" lenses, but my understanding is that they are just paying to use the name, something like Sony did with Zeiss.
That is correct but the usage of the name comes with some conditions that act as a guarantee of the quality of the lens...Kreuznach imposed some quality standarts and some quality control minimums so that the name wouldn't get devalued by possible Samsung mistakes.

04-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
I've read that optically they are identic but that coatings and barrel design are different...wich confused me because at some point i've read that, at least for my 50-200, they were made in the same Hanoi factory.
I am very satisfied with that 50-200..it was a lot cheaper than the pentax, came with metal mount and quick shift feature... I'm not sure if the Coatings and barrel are the same or not but the lens delivers.

That is correct but the usage of the name comes with some conditions that act as a guarantee of the quality of the lens...Kreuznach imposed some quality standarts and some quality control minimums so that the name wouldn't get devalued by possible Samsung mistakes.
This is the question that comes up with rebadged lenses. Is there a difference between the DA 18-250 and the Tamron 18-250? I have seen photos from both and I can't see a difference, but some people swear that there is a difference.

As far as I can tell, Samsung doesn't produce any lenses themselves. Even now, their lenses are subcontracted out.
04-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
A-z
Forum Member

I'd agree that the Samsung versions are identical to the pentax, coatings and all...

As far as I can tell, Samsung doesn't produce any lenses themselves. Even now, their lenses are subcontracted out.
I read something about that ages ago which led me to conclude that the samsungs would indeed be smc.

I got myself the Samsung 12-24 for 200 less than the Pentax - love it!

As for finding a new 10-17, good luck with that - I can't find anyone stocking the old samsung lenses at all, but they do come up on ebay
04-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think the coating are different between Pentax and Samsung version. There is no reason to develop new coating for a very low production and almost only locally (Korea) available items.

All the differences I know are barrel finishing, rubber texture, and screening.
04-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

This is the question that comes up with rebadged lenses. Is there a difference between the DA 18-250 and the Tamron 18-250? I have seen photos from both and I can't see a difference, but some people swear that there is a difference.

this answer make me happy...

QuoteOriginally posted by arm_jstp Quote
I don't think the coating are different between Pentax and Samsung version. There is no reason to develop new coating for a very low production and almost only locally (Korea) available items.

All the differences I know are barrel finishing, rubber texture, and screening.
Very reasonable....with the low production..it will takes alot of money to make new research for new coating and.....

It is exactly the same lens as the Pentax DA 10-17 Fish eye. Coatings and everything are the same. Pentax made it look a little different cosmetically. Samsung badges their lenses as "Schneider" lenses, but my understanding is that they are just paying to use the name, something like Sony did with Zeiss.
this answer really make me happy...maybe SP it's only different name for SMC
04-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
I'd agree that the Samsung versions are identical to the pentax, coatings and all...

I read something about that ages ago which led me to conclude that the samsungs would indeed be smc.

I got myself the Samsung 12-24 for 200 less than the Pentax - love it!

As for finding a new 10-17, good luck with that - I can't find anyone stocking the old samsung lenses at all, but they do come up on ebay
That's nice picture!
Now I'm really sure for this lens.....I think it depend on our photographic skill i guess