Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA 85mm f1.9

Got my new/old 85mm f1.9 from KEH and just had to try it. I've been trying to figure out how to compose this photo all winter and still don't have it right. Long Cove is a 1/2 mile long tidal cove on the Maine coast. The water is about 7 feet deep at high tide and the whole cove is dry at low tide. This vessel was brought to the head of the cove at the beginning of winter and it has been sitting there ever since.

The first photo was taken from about 700 feet from the boat. The second is 1100 feet away. Looking for some comments and ideas as to how I can frame this better.

Thanks,

Last edited by regken; 04-04-2007 at 11:01 AM.
03-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you trying to get the entire cove in the shot, or just the boat? The photos seem to lack a point of focus, although the boat is there.
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Are you trying to get the entire cove in the shot, or just the boat? The photos seem to lack a point of focus, although the boat is there.
Good question. I'm trying to show how far the boat is from any water. The cove is so long there is no way I could show the whole thing with the boat. It may be one of those scenes that just can't be put in a photo.

regards,
03-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Good question. I'm trying to show how far the boat is from any water. The cove is so long there is no way I could show the whole thing with the boat. It may be one of those scenes that just can't be put in a photo.

regards,
I would position myself on the other side of the boat as seen in you images, make the back end of the boat the center of the image with dried up water bed and shore line flowing to the left of the picture. Too much information in the photo can be very distracting, keep it simple.

03-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I would position myself on the other side of the boat as seen in you images, make the back end of the boat the center of the image with dried up water bed and shore line flowing to the left of the picture. Too much information in the photo can be very distracting, keep it simple.
Excellent Idea! I think I can get up that little cut to the right of the boat. I may not be able to get all the boat in the photo but won't need to.

Thanks,

BTW> This lens is great to use.
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds like good justification for a fisheye lens
tb
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Yep, that's what I would say, too. Also, I would use a wider lens and get a lot closer to the boat, so it is more prominent in the image and the perspective would be more interesting. The light might also be a lot less flat earlier or later in the day.

You make me miss Maine so much -- I went to college in Bar Harbor and have been missing it ever since!

03-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Yep, that's what I would say, too. Also, I would use a wider lens and get a lot closer to the boat, so it is more prominent in the image and the perspective would be more interesting. The light might also be a lot less flat earlier or later in the day.

You make me miss Maine so much -- I went to college in Bar Harbor and have been missing it ever since!
This cove is right across Frenchmans Bay from Bar Harbor. You are right about the light but am at the mercy of the tide. Now I'm going to have to wait for an early morning low tide. 4th or 5 th of April will do it. LOL, I've been to Davenport, and Davenport is no Bar Harbor to misquote a very good political line. I've got some shots of Bass and Southwest Harbors in my gallery. To much tourist stuff right in Bar Harbor.

Regards,
03-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
This cove is right across Frenchmans Bay from Bar Harbor. You are right about the light but am at the mercy of the tide. Now I'm going to have to wait for an early morning low tide. 4th or 5 th of April will do it. LOL, I've been to Davenport, and Davenport is no Bar Harbor to misquote a very good political line. I've got some shots of Bass and Southwest Harbors in my gallery. To much tourist stuff right in Bar Harbor.
Beautiful photos! I used to live in an old barn in Bass Harbor...your photos bring back such great (and cold) memories!

And what I wouldn't give to live somewhere even as interesting as Davenport -- where I live in Iowa just has corn. Oh, and soybeans. I think that's about it...
03-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any of the suggestions that you have are really worth trying.

My take on this however, is that I would not want to have the tail end of the boat the center of attention no matter where the water would be. If possible, depending on sunlight/tides, I would approach this shoot two ways.

First and Second, Put the camera on a tripod because the original test images show very distracting OOF areas, and look to set the apt at f11 or 16 for greater DOF. Shoot from the front left of this boat, perhaps with the tripod eleveted to max and perhaps putting yourself on something even higher with the tripod up there too. This might effectively allow you to see both the bottom of the boat above the waterline as well as having the trees in the background, above the deck, which would add to the fact that the boat is "landlocked". Make sure that you use a lens that will not distort the shape of the boat.

Personally, I would approach the shoot (minimally...with other options as they would appear at the time of course) would be to use a 50mm to perhaps a 100mm lens (or so) and shoot a sequence on the tripod in portrait orientation and rotate the head with some overlap (only four or so images...not any more) and merge them in some type of pano software which is available cheap or even free, and stitch them together. You can crop the final image with far better resolution and latitude than you might in a single shot.

Just a thought, but perhaps worth a try.

Stephen
03-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote
Any of the suggestions that you have are really worth trying.

Shoot from the front left of this boat, perhaps with the tripod eleveted to max and perhaps putting yourself on something even higher with the tripod up there too. This might effectively allow you to see both the bottom of the boat above the waterline as well as having the trees in the background, above the deck, which would add to the fact that the boat is "landlocked". Make sure that you use a lens that will not distort the shape of the boat.

Personally, I would approach the shoot (minimally...with other options as they would appear at the time of course) would be to use a 50mm to perhaps a 100mm lens (or so) and shoot a sequence on the tripod in portrait orientation and rotate the head with some overlap (only four or so images...not any more) and merge them in some type of pano software which is available cheap or even free, and stitch them together. You can crop the final image with far better resolution and latitude than you might in a single shot.

Just a thought, but perhaps worth a try.

Stephen
Stephen,
I see what you mean. The brush in front of the boat is fairly thick and don't know if I can get in there. Here is another test shot I did with a 50mm lens. I'm thinking maybe a 28, 35, or the 43mm lens in portrait orientation with 2 to 4 images might do it. If nothing else it will give me a chance to try different lenses and maybe learn a little more.

Thanks,

Last edited by regken; 04-04-2007 at 11:01 AM.