Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
and that makes me want the FA* even more (...well if it cheaper then a sigma )
Used FA*28-70's used to be around $800 last year. They're now up to $1300 and no warranty. That's why this Sigma has my attention...and it seems to compare favorably with the Nikon 24-70 which probably means it's sharper than the FA*28-70

06-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another review on lenstip.com:
Sigma 24-70 mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com
06-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Thanks!
Looks like a nice lens...

IQ is great:
QuoteQuote:
Let’s start with the praises because the Sigma certainly deserves them. The maximum relative aperture is fully useful at all focal lengths and gives us images definitely sharp. The weakest results we get at 70 mm but even there the 34 lpmm value can be considered as good. The frame center picture quality is beyond reproach, especially that, on stopping down by one stop, we get a brilliant 40 lpmm level or better at every focal length! At shorter focal lengths by f/4 – f/5.6 the results are on the 44-45 lpmm level – even good “primes” would be proud of them.

Can we find any fault in the Sigma? Perhaps it’s not a fault but it’s worth notice that the Sigma is slightly worse than the Nikkor and the Zeiss. The second lens is a class of its own because the results of over 40 lpmm were optained even at maximum aperture. Nikkor was a tad worse than Zeiss but still better than Sigma. The Sigma was definitely better than the oldest of them all, the Canon 24-70 mm, for a change. Even if we take into account the fact, that the Canon was tested on a matrix the least densely packed with pixels, so we would have to increase its MTF 50 values by 10%, the results are still worse at all focal lengths. Do not forget that the Sigma is the cheapest, the smallest and the lightest lens of all compared here so it deserves a round of applause. Looking at the real images you can hardly notice any difference between this lens and the Nikkor or the Zeiss – if you do notice it, it will be only at maximum aperture.
AF speed is also great, fast and silent:
QuoteQuote:
The Sigma 24-70 mm autofocus mechanism is silent above all. Working either on the D200 or on the D3x we can’t hear practically anything. The speed is also beyond reproach. Running through the whole scale (which demands rotating the ring about 90 degrees), takes just about 0.5 second, no matter what end we’re traveling to.
However, AF accuracy.....
QuoteQuote:
When it comes to accuracy – and it’s an important issue for the Sigma lenses – we can find no serious fault either. The lens worked on the Nikkon D200 very well because the number of errors during the studio test didn’t exceed 2%. What’s interesting, there were a bit more problems while working on the D3x – the number of errors reached 6%. Still, you can’t complain. We got the real troubles when we tried the version with the Canon mount on an EOS 5D Mark II reflex camera. The lens had a frontfocus so big that even the built-in calibrating couldn’t manage it. We simply lack the scale.
I wonder how it will perform under Pentax, especially the K-7..
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #34

This makes me nervous....
LensRentals.com - The Sigma Saga

06-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
This makes me nervous....
LensRentals.com - The Sigma Saga
I suspect Sigma has fixed it. They started implementing HSM recently and the 70-200/2.8 was one of the first...
I really wish Tamron would license HSM or develop it...their 70-200/2.8 looks like a gem but it's slow focusing and can have BF/FF issues :-P
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
vimeo review of handling and comparison on a 5D body w/ Canon and Nikon 24-70 lenses (apparently you can get an adapter to mount Nikon lenses on Canon but you lose all electronic control...seems like a waste of money to me :-)