Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
But I think it will have different price... Zeiss is always expensive

02-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixite Quote
But I think it will have different price... Zeiss is always expensive
Going simply by MSRP, the Zeiss is about $1400 more expensive than the VL. I know which one I would (and am going to!) choose.
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

the zeiss 21 is quite a waste on APS-C
02-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Pre-ordered my copy from Cameraquest today - I want to keep my collection of the C-V Sl/SLII lenses complete!

Seriously, this looks like an elegant and compact (for a FF WA) lens. It has one more element and one more lens group than the faster DA 21mm so its performance should be at least as good, if the Cosina designers were doing their job. While I'll probably use my DA 21 more because of its AF ability, I expect that I will love the C-V for its smooth manual focusing action. I sure hope that it has the fine IQ and rendering qualities of its longer focal length brethren!

02-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Pre-ordered my copy from Cameraquest today - I want to keep my collection of the C-V Sl/SLII lenses complete!

Seriously, this looks like an elegant and compact (for a FF WA) lens. It has one more element and one more lens group than the faster DA 21mm so its performance should be at least as good, if the Cosina designers were doing their job. While I'll probably use my DA 21 more because of its AF ability, I expect that I will love the C-V for its smooth manual focusing action. I sure hope that it has the fine IQ and rendering qualities of its longer focal length brethren!

Jim, do you get a chance to shoot your M 20 f/4 much? I think that lens has kept me from buying any other wide-angle prime - it's just so great that I feel like I'll be disappointed with anything else I'll get. This VL 20 is probably about the only thing that I know would be better.

02-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Jim, do you get a chance to shoot your M 20 f/4 much? I think that lens has kept me from buying any other wide-angle prime - it's just so great that I feel like I'll be disappointed with anything else I'll get. This VL 20 is probably about the only thing that I know would be better.
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I only got the M 20/4 (and its older brother, the K 20/4) to complete my Pentax prime lens collection. I have only used these lenses to shoot some test images just after I bought them - I already had the FA 20.2.8 at the time, and until I got my DA 21/3.2, it was the WA I used most.

Guess I ought to get these old classics out and give them some exercise... Certainly I'll do some comparisons after I receive my C-V 20/3.5 in a month or so.
02-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
Inactive Account

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I only got the M 20/4 (and its older brother, the K 20/4) to complete my Pentax prime lens collection. I have only used these lenses to shoot some test images just after I bought them - I already had the FA 20.2.8 at the time, and until I got my DA 21/3.2, it was the WA I used most.

Guess I ought to get these old classics out and give them some exercise... Certainly I'll do some comparisons after I receive my C-V 20/3.5 in a month or so.
Yes, you should...

I downloaded your equipment list! So are there any Pentax K-mount Primes ever made that you are missing from your collection? I couldn't spot any... Also looks like your Voigtlander SLI and SLII K-mount collection is complete as well. Looking forward to seeing how you like the new 20. If you really get bored, I'm sure you could make some impressive image comparisons from all your lenses. I think you have enough there to charge handsomely for subscription access!

05-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #39
Zav
Pentaxian

Has anyone received this lens now? Any first impressions?
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Has anyone received this lens now? Any first impressions?
I have checked with Stephen Gandy about the shipping date several times since I ordered this lens, and the answer is always the same one Tom Hanks got from his house renovation contractor in the movie "The Money Pit": "Two more weeks...".

Still waiting, but less patiently now!

Regards, Jim

PS - I've been amusing myself by completing a collection of all the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP manual focus lenses. Some are quite good, even by today's standards, while others (at least my copy) are rather pedestrian. The real challenge has been finding enough P/KA mounts for all of them!
05-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A German dealer told me yesterday: Mid of June.
05-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #42
Zav
Pentaxian

This confirms what my french dealer told me yesterday: delayed...
Thanks for your help.
05-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #43
Veteran Member

i am guessing the PK mount lenses are getting the least attention
i would think right now the priority would be to pump out the Zeiss ZE for Canon first, esp the 21 Distagon
06-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Good news! I have received an email that Stephen Gandy has shipped my lens!

Woohoo!

I'll post pics once it is in my hands.

I've been waiting since Feb. 18 for this baby to arrive.

06-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #45
Zav
Pentaxian

Excellent! I can't wait to see the results!