Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #1

WOW! a great lens - Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.5 EX DG

Just bought a new lens, checked out the specs and it looked like a winner. First shots were taken with this lens, a big one compared to the current crop of DA etc, but in my opinion the quality is superb. Found on eBay at Cameta Camera, arrived from NY to Brisbane in 6 days from date of order.

These two shots show what I think is thw quality of the lens, guess the gold band means something. First shot is in daylight, and the second in total darkness and is a compilation of 3, the main shot and two out takes to show the quality and sharpness in the main image.

Have not had time to do any serious stuff, but if this first test in daylight, and the night shot with flash AF FZ360 is any indication this has made me happy already. Took a few 15mm shots of a building, and virtually no distortion.

Pentax K10D F16 1/125th 100iso Spot Metering 30mm Sigma 15-30 EX DG

Pentax K10D F11 1/45th 400iso Spot Metering 24mm Sigma 15-30 EX DG Flash

03-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #2

very good shots.
Nice camera and nice lens.
03-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #3

Ok, I have looked at lens spec in Sigma15-30 F3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF512-205
By my knowledge it should be a wide lens because of its small focal length.

but you have taken some Macro picture using this lens?
can you please explain where i am mistaken?

Another question, does Pentax K100D accept lens made by other companies?
How i can identify that a lens will work with Pentax K100D?

Thanks
03-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
35mm & Digital SLR Lenses
QuoteOriginally posted by legolas Quote
Another question, does Pentax K100D accept lens made by other companies? How i can identify that a lens will work with Pentax K100D?
Yes, the Pentax K100/110D and the K10D can use lenses made by other companies so long as the lenses have a Pentax mount, sometimes called a K mount. There are a number of different companies that make lenses for Pentax mount digital (and film) SLR cameras, but the two that I am most familiar with and which seem to be mentioned most often by other Pentax photographers are Sigma and Tamron. Both companies produce good quality consumer (less expensive) lenses. I think they also make pro (expensive) lenses, but alas, I do not have the budget just yet to try out any of those. ;-)

By the way, my favorite place to window-shop for lenses is adorama.com. Very easy there to specify that you want a Pentax mount (over on the right side of this page).

Will

03-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #5

That does seem like a nice lens, but I think your photography really speaks for itself

Thanks for sharing.
03-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

By the way, I meant to add that I think the shots are stunning - and I am sure that the lens gets no more than half the credit.

Will
03-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Very nice photos. I do have one question. Did you use a flash or not and if you did, camera flash or other? Once again great shots.
03-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Stunning photos, but I reckon the Pentax 16-45 could do that too, and focuses slightly closer.

03-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Stunning photos, but I reckon the Pentax 16-45 could do that too, and focuses slightly closer.
How do the prices compare?

Love the pix.
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
The sigma is a full frame lens and can do it on 35mm film, for those who care.
03-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments - Definitely the Lens!!

Thanks for the compliments, I am really stoked with this lens, so far it has given me the clarity I was looking for, over and above the DA-18-55, Ricoh F2 50mm (Ricoh had a Pentax K mount in latter years) and my several Pentax and Sigma Zoom lenses. All do their job in their own way.

Price was fair too. I was looking at a DA-12 here in Brisbane, close to $1,000 AUD, this was $420 landed in AUD.

This Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.0 EX DG lens is a Wide Angle, originally made for film, and upgraded for digital with different coatings. It has a minimum focus distance of 10" so macro is definitely possible.

Legolas. Any lens can do a macro like shot, if it will focus close enough, and the subject is large enough in the frame, and your image quality is good enough to allow some cropping that is.. Macro really is only a term widely used to describe CLOSE UP. From Wikipedia.org. 'Macro photography refers to close-up photography; the classical definition that the image projected on the "film plane" (i.e film or a digital sensor) is the same size as the subject. '

squarerigger, the flower bud was of course in daylight, but the night flowering cactus was shot with a Pentax AF-360FGZ external flash mounted on the hot shoe, tilted to 45 degrees, with the white bounce card extended.

The onboard flash is no good for this lens, the diameter of the front lens shrouds the onboard flash in the foreground, as do many long lenses.

WMBP & hanamai, thanks, the camera and lens are superb, I have been doing my best since my first Box Brownie at age 12, to take images of flowers, now and then I get close to what I really want. Thanks for the kind words, I will keep trying. Coming from the Sony DSC F7x7 and F828 Carl Zeiss lenses, I have been scrambling to find a good quality imaging lens for my flora shots, I think I may have found it.

My lens library is now;

Pentax DA-18-55, Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.0 EX DG, Pentax AF 28-80 Zoom, Ricoh XR Rikenon F2 50mm Manual, Sigma 28-80 Macro 3.5-5.6 AF (good for Macro down to 15mm), Sigma 70-300 AF F4-5.6 (great lens too), Sigma 18-200 AF DC F3.5-6.3 only lenses in Bold were purchased new, all others were found at Pawn Shops and similar.
03-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
The sigma is a full frame lens and can do it on 35mm film, for those who care.
Ah, well that's impressive. Anyone know how it compares to the digital 10-20?
03-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
How do the prices compare?

Love the pix.
Thanks, RRP online in OZ is around $529 for the Pentax DA 16mm-45mm F4 ED if you can find one, I paid close to $100 less landed for the Sigma. I have no idea exactly how they compare in other areas.

I did test the 16-45 in a store, but could only view the image on the LCD, not a fair comparison. When I tried to buy one, none were available in the near future. I know the Sigma being an Aspherical lens, is longer and heavier.

The Sigma is an EX version, and what impressed me is at full wide angle, there is virtually no distortion or bending of straight lines. I like to shoot architecture too, so this is important as well.

Phil
03-31-2007, 08:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote

Legolas. Any lens can do a macro like shot, if it will focus close enough, and the subject is large enough in the frame, and your image quality is good enough to allow some cropping that is.. Macro really is only a term widely used to describe CLOSE UP. From Wikipedia.org. 'Macro photography refers to close-up photography; the classical definition that the image projected on the "film plane" (i.e film or a digital sensor) is the same size as the subject. '
Thank you for reply.
Which aspect of lens specification shows focus lenght?
how much close your lens focus and how much close an 18-55 can focus?

thanks
04-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #15

Original Poster
What is the minimum focus distance for close ups

QuoteOriginally posted by legolas Quote
Thank you for reply.
Which aspect of lens specification shows focus lenght?
how much close your lens focus and how much close an 18-55 can focus?

thanks
Hi Legolas, if by focus length you mean how close to the subject can you focus? I just tested on the Sigma lens, and it will focus lock at approximately 10cm from the subject at 15mm. This is much better than I thought.

The 18-55 will focus only to approx 14cm at 18mm, both do a good job at that distance though.

Phil