Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Helios Inquiry/Advice

I am looking to pick up one of the Helios lenses, but do not know anything about them. I would like to pick up a faster one, for a go-to in low light. Are there things, in particular, I should be looking for. Are there certain models which outperform others? I'll really appreciate direction on this--thanks.

02-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I guess you're referring to the Helios 44 (58mm f/2) lens? If so, there's a few threads floating around about the different models. I have the 44-2, one of the older ones, it's very sharp and great for low light work.

The only issue I have with mine is that it wobbles on my K10D which really bugs me but doesn't seem to bother others as much. I think anything from the 44M ~ 44M-4~44M7 models are easier to get on ebay and they also sit correctly on DSLR cameras and don't wobble. Helios 44 experts correct me if my info is wrong
02-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Igilligan

I have the Helios 44M & and hey fig...

Mine has the a/m switch like the taks do. So you can quickly focus at f2 and slide the button to your preset Ap for metering.

I am very happy with mine, sharp subjects and pleasing OOF area most of the time at F2. I have a lot of threads on here so you can click on my name and look at my posts or do a search. There are others with the 44M 2 / 4 / 6's that have posted on here. Some say the 4's and 6's are even sharper but mine is pretty sharp so....

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, as most folks who have got them seem pretty happy. Just don't spend to much...

Hey figmental, I stuck some of the first shots from the little industar pancake up... nothing special just some test shots to figure out how the lens works... I will try and get some real shots later. It is a fun little thing, and you should be able to get it for cheap.
02-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hey figmental, I stuck some of the first shots from the little industar pancake up... nothing special just some test shots to figure out how the lens works... I will try and get some real shots later. It is a fun little thing, and you should be able to get it for cheap.
Hey Gus, that's the lens I was looking after this weekend! Again you're ahead of me... No kiddin': do you have the 3.5 or the 2.8? Or even something more exotic??

Jewelltrail, I've got the 4 and I like that one very much. It doesn't have the switch like Gus' 2....

02-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Gus. Also Jewelltrail, check the lens database as there are a few reviews of the helios 44.
02-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i have original M version (Helios 44M) - it has auto/manual switch, it sits nicely on K-mount bodies, and wobbles just a bit.
it's great lens, i'm using it on my Zenit EM, and all K-mount bodies i have (MX, P5 and K100Ds).

the lens:

my flickr photos taken with Helios 44M: flickr
02-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i found one for $9 cdn in a second hand shop, all covered in dust and the price tag on the rear element.

found all the rear screws loose on the mount, the A/M switch does not work (manual apature works but automatic does not. Probably a broken spring. Had to disassemble the front element to get all the dust out, and found all the front screws not tight either but the glue or what ever was in place.

Optically, now that it is clean and all glass is tight, it is a good lens, but build quality is suspect to say the least. Before disassembly the elements probably rattled, but I never thought at the time to check

02-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

build quality depends on targeted market - lenses made for export were made much better than domestic-market (russian use) models.

my father bought one back in 1980 in moscow, but as a foreign citizen, he got export, higher quality model. that lens looks almost new, and works perfectly even today.
02-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Igilligan

Hi Lowell

It sounds like you have one that the previous owner may have attempted to take apart... I have a supertak that I got off of ebay that sounds very similar to your helios. Someone had taken it apart and lost the spring/ball or whatever make. the aperture 'click' into place.

They had also attemted to get the front of the lens off and it was very loosy goosy in the front.

My 44M is built like a tank (cold war... literally) and looks almost as new as the day it rolled of the line...
02-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You never really know what you're going to get from these suppliers. My helios 44-2 said new and it looks fairly used. I also ordered a Jupiter-9 last year and it said new, looked new and everything was cool. I then checked the manufacture date and it said 1989! A lot of these lenses just sit in warehouses until someone orders them, so you never really know.
02-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are all great--thank you for all the help. I will find my way from here.
02-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you again everyone--perhaps there is something in here which will help some of you: Manual Focus Forum / Helios differences
02-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
Igilligan

What a great read

Thanks for the link... Very informative

I have ordered a very cheap 44-2 because I wanted one with the preset... but I would love to see some examples from the 6 or 7 version...
02-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been looking at these on ebay, and most of them seem to be coming from the Ukraine, although I did see one that closed yesterday and it was in NY. Think it went for less than $20. Are you guys getting them from Ukraine, and have you had any problems in doing so. I noticed quite a few of the posters stated credit card only. Just curious.
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Igilligan

I think I got that one

For 17 bucks... we will see in a few days if it was worth the dough...

I have got most of mine from us sellers, just to try and cut down on the shipping charges... but I have picked up a few from overseas... and have had positive experiences so far...

on ebay... I have used

alex-photo

Attilla931

but for the cheapies... it is hard for me to pay 20 bucks for the lens and then 25 to ship it...