Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Keep an eye on ebay user "rockycamera." He's a UK seller, but shipping is only $10 and his prices are typically low. I got my Helios from him, and the auction title only said "58mm f/2" etc etc, no mention of Helios. Might slip by unnoticed if you use the wrong search terms.

02-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a 44-M-6, but have only used it wide-open because I haven't had the time to do the surgery on that pin yet!

The Auto/Man switch would have been great, but I found it cheap in a shop and the surgery looks pretty easy.
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
... the surgery looks pretty easy.
Yes, it's very easy -- four screws and the plate with the pin through it will simply lift off (hold the pin as you lift so that it doesn't fall down inside the lens)

The only thing to watch out for is if the aperture ring lifts off the body there is a ball bearing that will drop out and roll under the table. Guess how I know that ...

(the ball bearing makes it click as you change the aperture)
02-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Keep an eye on ebay user "rockycamera." He's a UK seller, but shipping is only $10 and his prices are typically low. I got my Helios from him, and the auction title only said "58mm f/2" etc etc, no mention of Helios. Might slip by unnoticed if you use the wrong search terms.
That's the guy I got my 44m-4 from....

02-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Me too.....
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by duncsuss Quote
Yes, it's very easy -- four screws and the plate with the pin through it will simply lift off (hold the pin as you lift so that it doesn't fall down inside the lens)

The only thing to watch out for is if the aperture ring lifts off the body there is a ball bearing that will drop out and roll under the table. Guess how I know that ...

(the ball bearing makes it click as you change the aperture)
Thanks for the tip--I saw some pics on one of the above links, but didn't catch anything about a ball-bearing!
02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote

Wasn't there some bad press on the forum last year about "rockycamera" not being such a good guy to buy from? I can't find it, but it sure sounds familar.

02-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
Igilligan

Keith Rock - rocky camera post

Something about how it was another name and had so many issues that the name changed to Rockycamera or something like that...

Oh here it is

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/40009-careful-buying-lenses-seller.html
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

NEW RUSSIAN BIOTAR SLR COATED LENS HELIOS-44 2/58 M42 - eBay (item 360132745378 end time Feb-25-09 06:45:19 PST)

Hmm!
02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
Igilligan

The 44-2 is a sloppy fit

I just got the Helios 44M-2 and I can verify what Figmental was saying about the 44-2 being floppy on the camera. The back of the lens has no real support against the camera body so the it does move around. Having said that, it has a very cool look wide open, and I have always been a sucker for the front Preset lenses.

I am a little surprized there is not more people complaining about the 44-2 as it really does not fit on the camera as nicely as the others.

Had an emergency at home today so I will try and post some pics tomorrow, weather permitting...
02-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
figmental1978: The only issue I have with mine is that it wobbles on my K10D which really bugs me but doesn't seem to bother others as much. I think anything from the 44M ~ 44M-4~44M7 models are easier to get on ebay and they also sit correctly on DSLR cameras and don't wobble.

Hey, I was psyched about picking up the Helios 44M, then I read about the wobbling thing and started to have second thoughts. Then I just read another thread at this forum which discusses a similar issue, but on a different lens.

In the other thread, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/48564-again-p-...-question.html a fix is offered to get the lens to sit properly in the mount. Is it possible this fix would work for the Helios wobble too, or have you tried it already?

I am new to these wobbling lenses. Does someone have some insight?