Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

M42 Adapter Question

I'm about to purchase an official Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter and was curious if most users just get one or get more than one and just leave them on their M42 lenses? If I only get one and am constantly mounting/dismounting it from the adapter, does it put unnecessary wear on it? I read that is what happens to the Bower adapters. I'm just curious to see what most people do...

02-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only one. You mount it to the camera, not to the lens, so you don't need more than one. It is impossible to leave the adapter on the lens, except if you remove the spring....
02-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
I'm about to purchase an official Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter and was curious if most users just get one or get more than one and just leave them on their M42 lenses? If I only get one and am constantly mounting/dismounting it from the adapter, does it put unnecessary wear on it? I read that is what happens to the Bower adapters. I'm just curious to see what most people do...

I buy non-pentax adapters, remove the spring & leave them on the lens. I have 5 of them I think.

Others devote a camera body to m42's in which case only one adapter is needed.

Others swap as needed.

Dave
02-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have some 3..4. Dont think they are even bowers, varios origin. Infinity focus availible. Springs removed, mounted on lenses.
Did this after i could barely get the adapter out using pliers when i mounted it first time, still with spring.
2 of them had to be leveled off with a file, for them to mount in camera when on lens. I guess it was because when mounted they were recessed a little (les than 1/5 mm) in camera. When mounted on lens, base of lens did not allow them to be recessed, so a little had to be removed from those 3 flanges that goes in camera.

02-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I have two but only use one.

- Andrew
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I have some 3..4. Dont think they are even bowers, varios origin. Infinity focus availible. Springs removed, mounted on lenses.
Did this after i could barely get the adapter out using pliers when i mounted it first time, still with spring.
2 of them had to be leveled off with a file, for them to mount in camera when on lens. I guess it was because when mounted they were recessed a little (les than 1/5 mm) in camera. When mounted on lens, base of lens did not allow them to be recessed, so a little had to be removed from those 3 flanges that goes in camera.

It is no problem to get the genuine Pentax adapter from the camera. All you need is a thumb and a finger with nails. It's really a piece of cake!

I guess the problems described by ytterbium come with none genuine adapters....
02-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right on. Something else the OP must realize is that if you go with off brand adapters and remove the locking spring, leaving the adapter on the lenses....

... Without that spring, your nice M42 lens can easily dislodge from the camera body. The consequences can be, well you figure it out.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
It is no problem to get the genuine Pentax adapter from the camera. All you need is a thumb and a finger with nails. It's really a piece of cake!

I guess the problems described by ytterbium come with none genuine adapters....

02-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #8

I have only one, me too.

now i try to find and buy 3-4 m42 primes:
so when i go out i put the M42 adapter and i will use only m42 primes lenses

m42 lenses are very intresting
02-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Based upon advice of the bright minds here at Pentax Forums, I just ordered the "official" adapter from Pentax.

Mount Adapter B

Look forward to getting it and testing out the Super Tak 55/1.8 and S-M-C Tak 135/3.5.

I've heard that just owning these (and other Tak) lenses makes me a better photographer...
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Inactive Account

They have a very distinct advantage over "m" lenses in that you can use Av mode to meter without having to worry much about exposure. They function almost like an "a" lens. Grab a couple of Takumars and you're set!

And yes, the Genuine Pentax Adapter is very easy to remove, but will not come off accidentally with a lens attached. All you need is a fingernail.

- Andrew
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #11

yes, "official" adapter is better.

you can move it only using your fingers (without any problems) and it is in good metal (no chromatic metal)
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Based upon advice of the bright minds here at Pentax Forums, I just ordered the "official" adapter from Pentax.

Mount Adapter B

Look forward to getting it and testing out the Super Tak 55/1.8 and S-M-C Tak 135/3.5.

I've heard that just owning these (and other Tak) lenses makes me a better photographer...

That's the one I have, and I bought it from the Pentax store a couple of months ago. I think it was a couple of $$ more than that. Total including shipping was a tad over $37.

I used it yesterday testing out a Super-Multi-Coated Super Tak 55/1.8, and unfortunately, it did not make me a better photographer. However, I will get better.
02-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I buy 4-5 M42 adapters at a time from Roxsen on ebay. I take off the springs, and use one dot of Locktite as I screw it on the lens.
I then test fit, mark the lens lock pin location. I then use a diamond bit in the dremel to make a notch.
Now it works and locks in place like any K lens.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 09-27-2013 at 07:22 AM.
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I buy 4-5 M42 adapters at a time from Roxsen on ebay. I take off the springs, and use one dot of Locktite as I screw it on the lens.
I then test fit, mark the lens lock pin location. I then use a diamond bit in the dremel to make a notch.
Now it works and locks in place like any K lens.
After using locktite can the adapter be removed from the lens if needed?
Where is notch made with the dremel: on the camera's lens mount or on the lens?
02-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I use Locktite because I want to leave it attached. If you were to just tighten it very good it should be fine. The notch is made in the lens base. Just like on a regular K mount lens.