Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Jim, have you perused This Club Thread?
Oh yes!

That EVIL thread is largely to blame for me looking into these lenses Too much eye candy... must resist...

02-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Oh yes!

That EVIL thread is largely to blame for me looking into these lenses Too much eye candy... must resist...
Jim, as I stated in that thread, I believe the Cosina and the Porst to be different lenses precisely because the Cosina is pretty sharp wide open while the Porst is dreamy.

If you can get a new Cosina for $250, it's certainly great value for your money.
02-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well that settles it. I'll be looking at the Cosina and it's copies. Thanks a lot everyone!

... going into a search frenzy...
09-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Bringing this to life again.

What is the 55mm f1.2 worth today? In good condition. Heard it's the same as the cosina, true?

Anyone got sample images from it at f1,2? If you've seen/tried it, what do you think of the pictures at 1,2? Want to know how do they look and such.

09-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Last week I saw a buy it now for $200 on a Tomioka f1.2 m42. It was gone an hour later. How good is it?
09-28-2010, 04:38 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Has anyone any experience of the Revuenon 55mm f1.2?

Is it as sharp and as good as the Cosina equivalent? I've been looking at the f1.2 thread and dreaming of one
09-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to posters in this forum, the Revuenon and Cosina f/1.2 55mm lenses are the same Tomioka design.
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
According to posters in this forum, the Revuenon and Cosina f/1.2 55mm lenses are the same Tomioka design.
I have wondered how Cosina got the design from Yashica because they owned Tomioka at one point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelleans Quote
Has anyone any experience of the Revuenon 55mm f1.2?

Is it as sharp and as good as the Cosina equivalent? I've been looking at the f1.2 thread and dreaming of one
If you go to these links, you will find some images.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/41357-cosina-55mm-1-1-2-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74819-post-your-%831-2-photos-%831-2-only.html

09-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The price is sure not comming down. I would expect to the contrary as these 1.2 lenses will not re-appear on the production list. Apart from the Pentax A, which you can still buy brand new from sources in Japan (I guess, as long as there are some of those on the Pentax warehouse shelves and then it will be over), there are only the used ones and these get rarer.
Ben
Its ironic since this old thread was started that Pentax made at least one batch run of the A 50/1.2 at their Vietnam plant. However, the prices I've seen are ~$900. They have also made batches of the AF 1.7x TC.
09-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I think that the Porst/Color Reflex ones are not the same as the Cosina ones. They are cheaper and not that good.
I once had a "Color Reflex MC Auto" and cannot recommend it.
09-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I should have kept my Porst and my spare Revuenon, sold both for 200,-euros together (not on this forum, sorry).

Here's my take on the Porst vs. Cosina=Revuenon=Tomioka:
Main differences (Tomioka in brackets):
55mm filter thread (58mm)
6 elements (7)
8 blades (9)

Maybe we should contribute more to the Pentaxforums Lens Database.

Here's the Porst:

Porst 55mm F1.2 Color Reflex MC Auto Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Here's the Revuenon.

Revuenon 55mm F1.2 MC Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Why don't you just post some pictures of the lenses that you have got (eventually with aperture blades to be seen).
We could put these pics into the lens database as well. I guess if we did so it would become clear very quickly which is which.

Here's the last remnant from my part:
09-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Here's my take on the Porst vs. Cosina=Revuenon=Tomioka:
Main differences (Tomioka in brackets):
55mm filter thread (58mm)
6 elements (7)
8 blades (9)
Hi Georg,
that's really helpful and is in line with what I know about it.
I can add that the Rikenon and the Vivitar are also identical to the Cosina.
Cosina = Revuenon = Rikenon = Vivitar.
They may have a different outer finish, but I think they are all by the same manufacturer and are the same optically.
09-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I have the Cosinon S, which is similar to the Porst in specs and appearance. It has been an excellent performer for me. I've never compared it to the others, though. My only nit with this elderly lens is that its focus is not as smooth as it could be.
09-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Wieland/blende8, I have basically stolen Miserere's comment (cited in the Porst review). I hope we can get this thing straight with all the valuable contributors and lens owners here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have the Cosinon S, which is similar to the Porst in specs and appearance. It has been an excellent performer for me. I've never compared it to the others, though. My only nit with this elderly lens is that its focus is not as smooth as it could be.
Hi Gene, if it would not be too much trouble for you, could you please post some pics of your lens with the aperture blades visible, (front, back, sides basically) ?
Reason for it, the Cosinon S is not so common and I think it would be awesome if we could get a grip on this. As I have stated (in a snappy mood) in the above-linked PF-lens-database Porst comment, "I just realised that to complete confusion, the Porst is most probably made by Cosina. The Tomioka however was quite often labeled with 'Cosina', but was never produced by Cosina."

Who knows if that's true after all .-)
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Btw. those who think those f1.2 lenses are soft at f1.2 should really try focussing in liveview.
It will be a revelation!