Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 228
well. The lens is not sharp. But the pentax 2,5/135 isn't the Canon L 2/135, nor the Zeiss 1,8/135 nor the Sonnar 3,5/135.

Not in the same category than the Super, S-M-C- or the SMC 3,5/135.

I could like to see a pic with the sears and with the 2,5/135 both at F/8-11?

02-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,814
QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote
well. The lens is not sharp. But the pentax 2,5/135 isn't the Canon L 2/135, nor the Zeiss 1,8/135 nor the Sonnar 3,5/135.

Not in the same category than the Super, S-M-C- or the SMC 3,5/135.

I could like to see a pic with the sears and with the 2,5/135 both at F/8-11?
"Free" makes up for a lot of sharpness issues.
02-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I was just given this lens this evening by a thoughtful student who knows that I shoot Pentax. His family had this lens in a box and they were going to throw it away, but he thought maybe I could use it. It is a SEARS 135mm f/2.8 Auto MC and is basically in "like new" condition. It is all-metal (and quite heavy), and I like the nifty built-in hood. I know it is a third party lens and that some of you shoot Sears (per the "Sears Lens Club" thread.)

I have posted a picture of it on my k10d below with the hood retracted and extended. I thought maybe anyone with this lens could tell me what you think of it. I was able to successfully use it in "M" mode, but tomorrow maybe I will have some time to try it in daylight.
I had that lens. It was one of my all-time bargains. I paid $5 for mine, but seeing as how I had 3 different 135's I sold it to a student for $5. I still have one picture from it available. Not bad for $5.

02-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I wish the modern lenses would have such built-in hoods. It is nice how it stows away so neatly. Maybe there are space constraints on modern lenses that make it inconvenient to do this though.
IIRC, the 77Ltd has this type of hood. Not sure any other current ones do, though.

02-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by estudleon Quote
well. The lens is not sharp. But the pentax 2,5/135 isn't the Canon L 2/135, nor the Zeiss 1,8/135 nor the Sonnar 3,5/135.

Not in the same category than the Super, S-M-C- or the SMC 3,5/135.
I disagree that the lens is not sharp. Look at this, it is wide open! The fact that a 30-something year old manual, 3rd party lens can be this sharp makes me think that we are being taken when buying new lenses!
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Matthew's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hawkesbury
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 345
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I disagree that the lens is not sharp. Look at this, it is wide open! The fact that a 30-something year old manual, 3rd party lens can be this sharp makes me think that we are being taken when buying new lenses!
Yes! There are lots of things wrong with my Sears 135/2.8 but lack of sharpness is not one of them. Even wide open the centre is sharp and the edges come into shape pretty quickly once you stop it down a bit. At about f8 it is clearly sharper than my DA*300. OK not a fair comparison but it does make you wonder about new lenses and just how some old lenses were so good.
Were they able to use materials back then that are now banned?

Regarding the built in hood;
I love it, but it only extends 15mm. Needs to go at least 40mm.
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member
PentaxPoke's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,411
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote

Regarding the built in hood;
I love it, but it only extends 15mm. Needs to go at least 40mm.
I didn't realize that. That must be the reason then: it just isn't worth designing it in to the lens, if you can't make it long enough to be effective.
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,814
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
Yes! There are lots of things wrong with my Sears 135/2.8 but lack of sharpness is not one of them. Even wide open the centre is sharp and the edges come into shape pretty quickly once you stop it down a bit. At about f8 it is clearly sharper than my DA*300. OK not a fair comparison but it does make you wonder about new lenses and just how some old lenses were so good.
Were they able to use materials back then that are now banned?
I think some third-party manufacturers were able to come up with a good inexpensive design at 135mm.

estudleon: Check out this page for some of the lenses you mentioned. It made me pretty satisfied with my SMC Pentax 135/2.5, same optical formula as the Super-Multi-Coated Tak. Look at the f8 results too:

135mm Lens War

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hood, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, sears, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Manual Sears 135mm f2.8, Sears 80 - 200mm f4.0 Macro, Takumar Asahi 28-8 (Worl vytas Sold Items 5 10-08-2010 04:13 AM
Sears 135mm 2.8 lens jboyde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 12-27-2009 03:31 PM
Sigma Zoom 28-80 f/3.5-4.5 Macro 1:5.3, Anyone familiar with this lens? skid2964 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 06-25-2008 08:51 AM
Sears Lens w/k100D ron305 Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 06-06-2008 08:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top