Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens Advice for three new shoots

Last night I had three, yes three, awesome photo shoot ideas pop into my head. Two of the shoots will be in studio, one outside. Each idea has one or two subjects and will be full body or wider.

With these shoots I want to ramp up my abilities. I currently only have "kit" lenses, the 18-55 and 50-200 and feel neither of these is "good enough" to be relied upon if I want to make a stellar image.

My question is what might be the best lens for this idea? Obviously I don't have a professional photographers budget for lens equipment so I'm thinking maybe the 40mm pancake?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please let me know!!

03-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SuperJared,

I'd go with the 16-45 f/4. Nice and sharp, and what I can see from Benjikan's pictures a great all-round lens.
03-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess it depends on what kind of perspective you're looking for (and thus what focal length). Wide angle? Something a little longer (and therefore more "flattened")?

Finn
03-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I'd go with the 16-45 f/4. Nice and sharp, and what I can see from Benjikan's pictures a great all-round lens.
Hm. If I'm essentially going to replace the 18-55 I have wouldn't it be better to wait for the 16-50 2.8?

Plus I'm thinking a prime might be better sharpness-wise? Again, I'm throwing these ideas out since I'm really not a pro and haven't been around very long.

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I guess it depends on what kind of perspective you're looking for (and thus what focal length). Wide angle? Something a little longer (and therefore more "flattened")?
I'm definitely thinking something more "normal", therfore I'd be shooting above 35mm, though probably less than 70mm.

03-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #5

Well, I shoot both the 16-45mm and 43mm Limited and love them both. The 43 is great is marginal light situations and fun because it'll make you stop and think about your composition before "pulling the trigger" on your shot. Besides, I LOVE the bokeh and sharpness of shots made with it, although the 16-45 ain't bad either!
Rob W
03-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

If you don't mind to use third party lenses, I recommend Sigma 17-70mm,
APO 70-300mm DG (current version), and either Pentax FA 35mm F2.0 or FA 50.4.
03-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
Plus I'm thinking a prime might be better sharpness-wise? Again, I'm throwing these ideas out since I'm really not a pro and haven't been around very long.
The 16-45 is honestly not that far behind the 50/1.4 for sharpness, and is a long way ahead of the 18-55. Mind you, the 16-50 should be sharper again and has the weather sealing to match the K10D.

Last edited by SupremeMoFo; 03-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
03-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
Last night I had three, yes three, awesome photo shoot ideas pop into my head. Two of the shoots will be in studio, one outside. Each idea has one or two subjects and will be full body or wider.

With these shoots I want to ramp up my abilities. I currently only have "kit" lenses, the 18-55 and 50-200 and feel neither of these is "good enough" to be relied upon if I want to make a stellar image.

My question is what might be the best lens for this idea? Obviously I don't have a professional photographers budget for lens equipment so I'm thinking maybe the 40mm pancake?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please let me know!!
Are you going to use this lens mostly for portraits?
If so, a good fast prime would be what I would go for. one that is very sharp wide open like the 50 1.4. Low light portrait photography can be very effective, and that is why sharp wide open would be something to shoot for.
If you are doing head and shoulders mostly, then a 77 1.8 might be a good thing. remember, just remember... your feet are just as effective as a zoom option in portraits
don't forget, you would want a lens that lets you stay back a distance from the subject that will not put you in their "comfort zone", meaning everyone has a distance that they allow people to be from them before they start feeling uncomforable.
I don't own a 40mm, but I would guess too much wider and you might get a little close for some people's comfort.
If I was going for a zoom and had the money I would either go with the *17-50 or the *50-135. big bucks, but in the grand picture, spread the cost over a life time of pleasure and it seem to justify itself (until the wife finds out)

good luck with your choices
let us know how you make out.

cheers

randy
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Budget?

So much will depend on your budget. If I had to choose one lens 'NOW" and it had to be a great all rounder, I would go for the Pentax 16-45 f4.0 Lens. It is on par with my 17-40L Canon lens and at some focal lengths sharper. If you can wait till May-June perhaps you could consider the Pentax* 16-50 f2.8 lens. It will be about 2.4x More expensive than the 16-45 f4.0 lens. I cannot speak of the IQ as I haven't received mine yet. Who knows, the 16-45 may even be as good or better. I have no idea. What I will say is this. If I had a pro shoot tomorrow and could only use one lens, the 16-45 would be it. I always shoot between f5.6 and f11.0 so all of my images will be tack sharp at all focal lengths.

It is the bargain of the year...

Ben

Sample shot with the 16-45...

Last edited by benjikan; 04-28-2007 at 04:04 PM.