Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Which Zoom for K200D ?

Hi, I'm from Australia, it's my first post here. I own a Pentax K1000+Pentax 50mm+Sigma18-70mm. I'd like to go digital and I'm considering a K200D. I've got these 2 kits to choose from:
1 - K200D+SigmaAF18-50 AUD600;
2 - K200D+Pentax 18-55 AUD700.
Can you tell me whether the Pentax zoom is better quality than the Sigma ? Is it worth the extra 100 bucks ? My gut feeling is that they're both entry level lenses, therefore of comparable quality, so the Sigma would be just as good as the Pentax. Is that so ? Thanks

02-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi from another Aussie.
Buy the Pentax lens, its heaps better and recognised as one of the best kit lenses out there.
Better still, look for the K200 body only for $600 or less (or buy the $600 with Sigma) and then get a Pentax 16-45mm f4 from ebay for about another $350. That will make you happy.
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks mate. I finally got the K200D+SigmaAF18-50 for $599. I haven't opened the zoom box yet, I'm wondering whether I should go back and change it for the Penax...

Otherwise I just start using it and later on invest in a better quality zoom.

Do you have any suggestion on a polarizer filter to match ?

Cheers
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #4

Better get the body only, and spend money on better lens. you can use your old manual lens on it anyway. The kit lens is good if you just started to learn DSLR or SLR, but it's not worth more than $80USD.

02-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The K200D body retails for around AUD590, the kit with Sigma AF18-55 retails for AUD599 !

This is probably because the 200 is not in production anymore. It's been replaced by the K-m.
02-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Get the body only and buy a used Pentax kit lens from the marketplace here for about $80AUD.

The sigma lens is absolute rubbish.
02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thread moved to SLR lens section.
02-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok but which one ? What about the Pentax DA 18-55 ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Get the body only and buy a used Pentax kit lens from the marketplace here for about $80AUD.

The sigma lens is absolute rubbish.

02-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussiegus70 Quote
Ok but which one ? What about the Pentax DA 18-55 ?
The phrase "kit lens" specifically refers to the Pentax DA18-55 - it's the only standard zoom lens included *by Pentax* as part of it's "kit" worldwide (even though apparently some Australian outlets sell a kit that includes a Sigma lens). Version II is better than version I (though not by a lot), and either is suposedly much better than the Sigma.
02-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from yet another Aussie.
You should be quite happy with the results you get from the Pentax kit lens for a long time - it may even be a keeper for you - it's considered one of the best kit lenses around.

Otherwise, if price is not so much a barrier and you're keen on quality from the start, I'd suggest picking up a DA 16-45, which is being sold in this marketplace at the moment for around US$240. It's a real winner as a wide zoom lens. From there you can decide what other focal lengths (and thus lenses) you may want.

Enjoy.
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok thanks. I'll consider that. I'll also buy a polariser filter. Should I also buy a hood, considering that I'll take most of the photos outdoors (landscape, architecture, people etc) with an harsh australian light... ?
02-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok thanks. I'll consider that. I'll also buy a polariser filter. Should I also buy a hood, considering that I'll take most of the photos outdoors (landscape, architecture, people etc) with an harsh australian light... ?
If you're buying a new lens, it comes with a hood. Buy multi-coated filters: I tried Tiffen's uncoated garbage and returned them for a full refund. It's easy to tell if you're looking at a Tiffen filter without looking at the rim: if you can use it as a mirror, it's a Tiffen. You might as well put plastic wrap on your lens. OK, ok. Just kidding.

"Made in U.S.A. ... Hmmph. No, thank you." -- Marge Simpson.
02-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi asdf,

I went back to the shop (a major retailer in Melbourne, Australia) to upgrade from Sigma 18-50 to Pentax AF 18-55 (extra $100 AUD) and been told that the zoom kit doesn't come with a hood.

They showed me the box and yes, it doens't have a hood.

Should I insist ?

BTW, is Tiffen a type of filter or a brand ? Pardon my ignorance

The offered me a Kokin at $ 40. At another shop they have Hoya, but hte cheapest one is $79.90. Not sure whether The Kokin is multicoated tough. Maybe this is another case where I should go for quality...

Also, is it worth having a polariser filter on every lens (e. g. for added protection) or is it good enough just to mount it on the lens I'm gonna use ?

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
If you're buying a new lens, it comes with a hood. Buy multi-coated filters: I tried Tiffen's uncoated garbage and returned them for a full refund. It's easy to tell if you're looking at a Tiffen filter without looking at the rim: if you can use it as a mirror, it's a Tiffen. You might as well put plastic wrap on your lens. OK, ok. Just kidding.

"Made in U.S.A. ... Hmmph. No, thank you." -- Marge Simpson.
02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Strange: My Pentax 18-55 II came with a hood. BTW, get the 18-55 with the II, i.e., the second version.

On HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear, you'll find out about the different filters which are offered by Hoya. HMC/DMC filters tend to be in the middle of the price and performance ranges. S-HMC and HD filters are the most expensive Hoyas. As far as I've noticed, Tiffen's new multi-coated filters are actually very expensive, as well.

You'll need one circular polarizer, if all your lenses have the same diameter of their filter threads (52mm in the case of 18-55II). BTW, 18-55 II is a good kit lens. There is a thread on this forum with pretty photos made with the lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/45425-best-sho...8-55-i-ii.html

Good luck!

Hi asdf,

I went back to the shop (a major retailer in Melbourne, Australia) to upgrade from Sigma 18-50 to Pentax AF 18-55 (extra $100 AUD) and been told that the zoom kit doesn't come with a hood.

Should I insist ?

BTW, is Tiffen a type of filter or a brand ? Pardon my ignorance

The offered me a Kokin at $ 40. At another shop they have Hoya, but hte cheapest one is $79.90. Not sure whether The Kokin is multicoated tough. Maybe this is another case where I should go for quality...

Also, is it worth having a polariser filter on every lens (e. g. for added protection) or is it good enough just to mount it on the lens I'm gonna use ?
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Hi asdf,

Is it possible he was showing you the box for the DA-L (part of the K2000 kit normally) instead of the regular DA (part of the k200D kit normally)? It is true the DA-L does not come with a hood.

QuoteQuote:
You wouldn't want a polarizer at all most of the time, so it would be pointless to have it a lens you aren't using - you'd just have to take it off in order to use it in most cases. Polarizers are mostly used outdoors for landscapes in bright sun when you're trying to reduce reflections or darken skies. As such, you're most likely to need it only on lenses you'd normally use for landscape. Bu again, ven then, yu'd only want it on sometimes.