Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Saw one ebay store in Canada finally has it (galaxycamera), but the price is still in USD ($749), so I'll see what the Canadian retail is. At least it made it this side of the border!
Yeah, I just saw that eBay ad and came looking for the comments now that I realized it hit the shelves.

GalaxyCamera is brix & mortar right here in Ottawa-Gatineau, baby! I'm half tempted to go over and mount one. Except that then I might want to buy it ! Seriously, I have to ease off on the LBA. What with the 50-135 and 300 which attempted delivery at 4:30 pm but I didn't get home from work till 6:30 and yet it's not showing as ready for pickup at my local outlet and and and

I CAN HAS ALL THE LENSES?

02-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #62
Inactive Account

David...$1000 CDN is pretty steep. I can wait until it's in stores and I can touch it and test it.

c[_]
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
David...$1000 CDN is pretty steep. I can wait until it's in stores and I can touch it and test it.

c[_]
It's listed as "in stock" at Aden in Toronto now:
Aden Camera

$849 CDN, which is decent, if not awesome.

Hopefully that'll start the price war! ... but doubtful.
02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Do we have any indication of how good or not good the corners are on the DA* 55? Understood this may not be the most critical feature at wide apertures for portraits, but is an attribute overall performance. This is an area where I believe the FA43 is somewhat better than the FA50/1.4.

02-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Aden Camera

Now...that's more like it! Aden is about 1 hr away from me, but I do know that my local Henry's will price match them.

Aden's prices are always pretty good for a Canadian seller.

c[_]
02-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, my Guelphite friend, I think you've just made my point again: it is steep, but I can go touch & taste it--but I'm afraid I'll like the taste. But seriously, that $1000 CND pricetag means I could only taste but not bite. Kinda frustrating.

Now if the 55 causes a crash in FA Ltd values (seems to me that with the promise of top-end isolated-subject portraiture a comparison to the 77 is also in order, even though the FL is even more <> than compared to 43), perhaps I can lighten your load when next I visit my parents back in ol' G-town.
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #67
Inactive Account

lol...my 77 isn't going anywhere buddy!

If you are interested in picking one up though...Aden Camera has the 77 on for cheap right now ($549 I believe). If you have a Henry's nearby they will price match them too.

c[_]

02-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Now...that's more like it! Aden is about 1 hr away from me, but I do know that my local Henry's will price match them.

Aden's prices are always pretty good for a Canadian seller.

c[_]
Hot topic! I was refering to the earlier post re $1000 CND and all these others snuck in.

Galaxy camera (the $1000 CND eBay seller is the brix & mortar store I was contemplating visitng) is pretty good at price matching other brix stores, so might go down to Aden's price.

But there's no freakin' way I'm spending even the lower price. Or any even lower price I'm realistically liable to encounter. *sigh*
02-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$599 CND actually. Stab me in the heart. I missed the $450 USD 77 sale here (30 minute 3am sale *shakes tiny fist*), opted for the DA50-135, and now will pass on owning a new 77 as well for $480 USD equivalent.

Sometimes I want to go into doing professional headshots for my fellow theatre artists just so I wouldn't be crazy to be buying more of these legendary lenses. But I digress.

To refocus the discussion:

I get the impression that the 43 advocates criticizing CA on the 55 may have a slight point, but really the CA is an issue at f/1.4. Compare equal apertures and the CA looks fairly minimal in comparison.

But with what looks like a clear sharpnes advantage through f/5, and with some testing putting the stopped down 43 as one contender for "sharpest Pentax ever" could the DA*55 be in the running to prove itself a new sharpest ever?So another lens comparison to add for the sharpness battle would be... oh whichever macro you think, I'm not going to get into that viper's nest!
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #70
Inactive Account

I could try to compare it with Sigmas 70mm macro - it's rumoured to be one of Sigma's sharpest ever made...
02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
But with what looks like a clear sharpnes advantage through f/5, and with some testing putting the stopped down 43 as one contender for "sharpest Pentax ever" [I][B]could the DA*55 be in the running to prove itself a new sharpest ever?
Could someone with more lens authority than I have please either confirm or dispel the statement that the 43mm is "one of the sharpest Pentax lenses ever"? I've seen one person state this but have never heard it before. Wouldn't the FA 50/2.8 macro or A 85/1.4 or FA 31/1.8 be stronger contenders for that title? BTW, I don't believe in photozone.de figures as much anymore as I used to. Unless the very same camera was used to measure resolution you cannot compare the results at all. Also, according to falconeye, many sharp lenses outresolve the K10D's sensor resolution. This casts some doubts on the validity of the resolution figures, doesn't it?

Last edited by Class A; 02-18-2009 at 08:26 PM.
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Aden Camera

Sweet jesus that's a grand including taxes. That's outright insane, i'm sorry but it's a 50mm lens and you can pick up the FA50 for like $220 and i'll bet pounds for peanuts there is bugger all difference from f/2.8.

Man a grand! I can't get over that price. You can pick up a 200/2.8 for that price ... madeness, utter madness.
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
I could try to compare it with Sigmas 70mm macro - it's rumoured to be one of Sigma's sharpest ever made...
If you could do that - that would be awesome! The Sigma 70 is my favourite lens and I'd love to see how the two stack up with respect to bokeh and image creamy-ness.

David...you may end up with my 77 after all...

c[_]
02-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Sweet jesus that's a grand including taxes. That's outright insane, i'm sorry but it's a 50mm lens and you can pick up the FA50 for like $220 and i'll bet pounds for peanuts there is bugger all difference from f/2.8.

Man a grand! I can't get over that price. You can pick up a 200/2.8 for that price ... madeness, utter madness.
You're right..., but the FA31 is also a $1K CDN and MANY people own it. You can p/u the FA35 which is also awesome (like the FA50) for 1/3 that price.

c[_]
02-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Could someone with more lens authority than I have please either confirm or dispel the statement that the 43mm is "one of the sharpest Pentax lenses ever"? I've seen one person state this but have never heard it before. Wouldn't the FA 50/2.8 macro or F 85/1.4 or FA 31/1.8 be stronger contenders for that title?
This is based on resolutions tests on photozone.de

Pentax SMC-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Review / Test Report

At f/4, it's off the charts, and the reviewer calls it "the one to beat on the K10D" or something to that effect.