Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Thumper473

Question about an old SLR film lens?

This is the lens that i got with my K1000 back in 1984. Is this a A Prime Series 1.2 50mm as listed under the Pentax Lens Review Database?

The reason I am not sure is I noted a difference in the focusing ring between the one I have and the one shown in our database. mine only has two bands where as the one in the database has four.

I have always loved the quality of this lens. Here is a recent shot taken with my lens:

Thanks,
Eric

02-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper473 Quote

The reason I am not sure is I noted a difference in the focusing ring between the one I have and the one shown in our database. mine only has two bands where as the one in the database has four.
Yes, you have a Pentax-A 50/2. A very dingy example, but a 50/2 none-the-less .

I count two bands on the focus ring:

From database:

Steve
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nope, it is A50/f2.0, not the f1.2.
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Thumper473

Steve my lad, if you only knew where that lens has been and how many times it's been there.

kjao,
Thanks for the reply.

02-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the difference between 1:1.2 and 1:2. Also nearly a 20x difference in price.

Windex and an old toothbrush will make all those engraved characters look better.
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Thumper473

I must really be starting to loose things for me to miss scrolling down far enough, DUUH! Well I will just have to add my love to the love/hate of this lens.

Perhaps I inhaled too many gas turbine engine fumes from the helicopters I flew in.
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Thumper473

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's the difference between 1:1.2 and 1:2. Also nearly a 20x difference in price.

Windex and an old toothbrush will make all those engraved characters look better.

Thank you for the reply.

I wonder if Windex and a tooth brush would work on this old character, meaning my very own beat up body and personality, too?

02-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve my lad, if you only knew where that lens has been and how many times it's been there.

kjao,
Thanks for the reply.
I know the story...

Steve

(owner of a fairly grimy, now deceased ricoh body...)
02-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Go easy with the Windex and toothbrush approach. I was applying this solution to a recent lens acquisition about 3 weeks ago and ended up with an EMPTY engraved lens scale. Yep, the old grimy paint just scrubbed right out. I have heard of a fix where you use some sort of lacquer crayon to fill it back in, but for now, I have no nice letters...

Steve

(Never had that happen before...)