Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A tilt & shift lens thats making me sweat!

A full frame 17mm tilt & shift lens! Oh my. The possibilities are incredible. Unfortunately it fits Canon. Remember posts a few years ago that said TS lenses were a dying breed with digital. Guess that just got shot out of the water.
Pentax we would really like a TS lens! You had a nice 28mm FF years ago.
thanks
barondla (lust in my heart)

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #15 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #16. Any brand camera. Enter now!

02-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My brother has the Canon TS lens; cost him something like a $1K or more and I bet he's probably shot less than 100 shots in the last year with it... hell, I bet he's shot less than 500 pics on his then-new 5D which he bought at the same time
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original 28mm was just a shift lens--no tilt--or I'd have one!

Yes, a tilt lens or two would be great additions to the line-up.
02-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Re: A full frame 17mm tilt & shift lens!

OMG......I think I just wet myself !!! Dear G*d Pentax, what about ANY tilt & shift lens for that matter .....lol !
Dream on, brother.......now calm down a bit and repeat after me: "I must control my urges, I must control my urges" !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-20-2009 at 02:38 PM.
02-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you really can't stand it, there are a couple options that I'm aware of:

Horseman View Camera Converter adds a bellows with movements and is available with K mount adapter. Because the lens is moved forward on the bellows, this unit only works for close-up and studio distances--no infinity focus--no landscape shots. Swing, tilt, shift and rise are all available on this system. It previously used Rodenstock large format lenses. The last price list I have is '02 and apparently some of the lenses changed to Schneider Componons--I think Schneider bought the Horseman company, but I haven't researched it...

I believe there are a couple similar view camera/bellows attachments available on the market. I've seen their promo pieces but didn't actually obtain info...

Second option is the Zork Multi Focus System for Pentax 67 which can then be adapted for K mount (Pentax 67 to K mount adapter). I personally own this unit for use on the 67, but haven't tried it on my digi bodies. The main unit includes a "tilt tube" with "30 degrees of tilt/swing along any axis, through 360 degrees of rotation." This is an exteme level of tilt ability far exceeding dedicated tilt lenses by other manufacturers. Shift can be added with an optional shift board...which I do not own. Mine has a Rodenstock 105mm APO enlarger lens that produces very sharp images from corner to corner. On the small digi sensor, you could probably use a variety of enlarger lenses--the image circle doesn't need to be anywhere near as large as the circle needed to cover 6x7 format. This unit close focuses to nearly macro level and goes clear to infinity as well. It's kind of like a lensbaby with a killer lens and designed for sharpness and clarity rather than for artistic oof as the lensbaby. But mechanically, the tilt tube is somewhat similar to the lensbaby tube...

Anyone with other options for tilt or other lens-plane movements please post...
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

there were those hartlblei ones for k-mount
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #7

Norwegian pricewinning photoseries using TS lens . Canon though
Personally I love the idea of being able to manipulate DOF in such a manner.
Would really like to try one of these... perhaps the mc-35mm-tilt-shift. No idea what the quality of it is though. It seems to have been discussed a bit in earlier threads regarding TS-lenses somewhere in this forum.

02-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Wow. That's one lens I would love to have. It's lenses like this and the Canon 85mm 1.2 that convince me that if I had 10 grand to blow I'd probably go with Canon for full frame.
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #9

I was reading about the Canon TS lenses. Personally I'd prefer the 24mm focal length. I'd really love to see a new pentax TS lens.

DPReview article
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it called Arax or Zenit? Anybody used such a lens and have comments?

Thanks for the link from Norway!
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently the Hartblei Super Rotater Tilt/Shift lenses are sold out and no longer in production? That was my read from their website...too bad, seems like a nice product if you can find one...
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

and w/ live view technology now, tilt-shift becomes a lot easier to use
02-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to argue with K100d, but I rather like using the viewfinder to work with the tilt function. Of course, I'm looking through a big, bright 67II viewfinder which is decidedly easier to work with than the digi finders. But when I use the LCD on a digi, my eyes see the LCD, and the camera back and also around the camera. Looking through a viewfinder, all I see is the image. It's almost like crawling under the "dark tent" for large format. With my eye to the viewfinder, it's the only thing in my mind--the rest of the world melts away...

K100d's point is well taken...how you analyze your image before tripping the shutter is really important with tilt movements--foreground and background in focus but midground out of focus...left and center in focus but right side falling off (360 degree rotation of Zork tilt tube means you can miss focus in strange places--or is that "selective defocus"?) My first few rolls of "tilted" images exposed lots of "learning curve" regarding careful tilting, composition and framing to avoid lensbaby effects where I really didn't want them. I've sort-of settled on careful tilting first then stopping down (when possible) to extend the effect and, of course, lots of checking depth of field while stopping down. The old adage to "check all corners" is even more important with tilt movements than it is with standard photography.
02-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$2,500 for a lens definitely makes me sweat. A pro architectural photographer with a full-frame Canon could probably make good use of these. I'll stick with perspective correction in Photoshop - definitely not as good, but does the job OK for me.
02-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Dear Pentax don't bother with a new tilt and shift lens, just make me a tilt mechanism, I've already got the 28mm shift.

Aye right.