Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
M42 adapter on K200D - a problem

I recently acquired the original pentax M42 adapter, and attached to it my new shiny old piece of glass - a Meyer-Goerlitz Orestor 135/2.8. I soon noticed an interesting bad thing - the adapter does not fit tightly into the K-mount of my K200D, but has an amount of loose space within the flange. It moves, and alongside it the lens also moves, which does not make me happy.

Question 1: is this a natural situation, or I should get a new adapter/take camera for repair?

What I also notice with this lens is that the lens ending towards the M42 screw is conical - there is no contact between the lens and the K-mount flange. The M42 adapter is actualy wider than the lens at the flange level. Around the lens the K-mount connectors and pins are visible (and reachable). I guess that it contributes to the looseness of the lens.

As far as I was able to grasp, other M42 adapters exist with the flange covered, but which add additional thickness which limits the lens' ability to focus to infinity.

My assumption would be that it would be better (for the mechanical integrity of the mount, save for the camera handling and the rest) for the lens to be fit tightly to the camera.

A feasible idea would to acquire a flange-type adapter for this lens, and remove the extra distance from the lens itself. The M42 screw on this lens is easily detachable (it's actually some sort of adapter, probably to enable various mounts for the lens) and can be adjusted fairly easy with a lathe or some other machine tool.

Ideas, experiences, suggestions?

02-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mirek, the Orestor is great! Probably this thread is a help with your adapter problem: And again a p to k mount adapter question
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Either the camera's mount or the adapter are out of specification. Most likely the problem and its solution are shown in the following photo.

Place the adapter ring ear side up on a tabletop or floor and tap the ends of the ears as shown until the adapter fits snuggly. Tap only the clockwise ends of the ears - decreasing the distance on the other end of them may prevent them from beginning to engage.

The above is easy to do.

QuoteQuote:
A feasible idea would to acquire a flange-type adapter for this lens, and remove the extra distance from the lens itself. The M42 screw on this lens is easily detachable (it's actually some sort of adapter, probably to enable various mounts for the lens) and can be adjusted fairly easy with a lathe or some other machine tool.
This is also a reasonable approach. Perhaps you can use a flange-type adapter to replace the M42 end of the lens.

Dave
02-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Sometimes the small flange on the m42-K adapter is too thin (it should be 1mm I believe). If it is too thin, tightening the adapter to the camera can draw the lens so close to the body that an aperture ring or focusing ring on the lens jams against the body and cannot be rotated.

Notice the gap between the adapter and bellows on the photo I showed earlier - the gap is due to a spacer made of a wire ring.

Dave

PS this may be the solution to a problem identified earlier by Rense

03-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I decided to try and adapt the lens to the K-mount, basically because I can easily do it without damaging the lens physically. Using a machine tool I can create a replacement part for the M42 screw which would hold the K-mount bayonet.

For the bayonet part itself, I considered using a flange type M42 adapter. This would be good for several reasons: it is a commonly available K mount, it covers the external flange (making the lens more stable), and in the end, the final product is a lens that locks into place like a normal K lens.

As for the infinity focus, I plan to remove the extra distance introduced by the adapter flange from the custom made metal part which will replace the lens' M42 screw, thus keeping infinity focus.

Any advice on which flange type adapter to buy? I heard people talking of nasty experiences with adapters jamming in the lens mount... which I would like to avoid.
03-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirek Quote
I decided to try and adapt the lens to the K-mount, basically because I can easily do it without damaging the lens physically. Using a machine tool I can create a replacement part for the M42 screw which would hold the K-mount bayonet. ...
All the flange-type adapters I have used have a slot milled in them for the K-mount's locking pin and no spring clip which might jam. I've had no problems with over-rotation.

The better of these adapters are chrome plated brass which is better for machining than black anodized aluminum.

I guess if it chrome plated it is probably brass.

Dave