Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Lens to Pentax Program A PLEASE!!!

Hello! As a beginner I need your help. Recently I got bored with my digital camera and I want to start my adventure with film slr. I want to buy a Pentax Program A. The point is i dont know anything about lenses. What Im interested in is mainly street photography, street journalism, portraits . First question what do you yhink about camera? Second what lens should i get? Please help me with some solutions, thank you !!

02-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a whole FILM SLR section where these things have been discussed - take a look, though unfortunately you'll get a ton of different opinions...

I have a Program Plus which is the USA name for this same camera. I love using it on the street etc. I use the following types of lenses on it without any problem at all:

SMC-A and equivalent, K-A mount lenses with the aperture ring. Set to the "A" you have a program camera. Set to any non-A aperture, you have aperture priority. (e.g. the 43 limited works well in this manner.)

SMC-M and equivalent, K-M mount lenses - set the aperture on the lens, and the camera is in Av mode.

Takumars and other M42's with the adapter - when you manually close the lens down to the aperture you want, the camera automatically sets shutter speed. The metering is more accurate than with the digital bodies.

Auto-focus / aperture ringless lenses (e.g. DA 70, 16-45) work great, but only in Program mode.

Manual exposure is also feasible with all except the last category.

I'm a wide to normal kind of guy - I got mine because it came with a SMC-A 28/2.8, which I find really good to use on the street. Any version of the 35mm's out there are classics for street shooting. And the Pentax 50's are hard to beat.

(With the 28's and 35's, third party lenses such as the Vivitars, Soligors etc are also excellent, and can be had much cheaper than the Pentax K mounts. And you tend to have to pay a premium for the K-A mount, though less so with the third party lenses. For more portrait-y work, the classic 135mm is also plentiful, and most lenses are pretty good. "off-length" lenses that I find the most useful - 85/90/100/105mm - tend to be rarer and more expensive.)
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This begs for the 31,43 and 77mm Limiteds. That would be all you need. But having read your other thread and budget concerns, get a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Perfect range on a film camera for all of this.
02-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #4

Pentax film

Having used 5 different Pentaxes over 46 years, I would recommend the Zx-5n as the ultimate film reflex. It mounts and meters with any Pentax lens (Other models like the ist* film reflex will mount older lenses but you have to switch to manual mode and have to guess the exposure - no meter) What I especially like about it is that you can change from full auto mode to aperture or shutter preferred auto without pressing any buttons or looking at any menus. Change the shutter speed dial from A to an actual value or change the lens aperture setting from A to an actual F-stop. Or if you set both the speed and the aperture, you are in full manual mode. In other words, You aren't slowed down by having to first change modes before you can adjust the settings. Specifying a setting automatically changes the mode. It makes the camera much faster to operate than any other I've used.

As for lenses, I keep the 20mm 2.8 on the camera 75% of the time. Also love the 43mm 1.9 limited