Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone know what this is?

Tamron telephoto lens

It looks like the 70-210 in the lens review section, but it says it's an 80-210. I know some of you really know your glass, so I figured anyone who would know probably hangs out on here.

02-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
hello sachse from SE dallas

i've got this 80-210/3.8-4.. it's a nice lens.. 35usd is fair.. i'd sell you mine that's mint but it's got 1 hair in the lens somewhere .. doesn't affect IQ but i can see it very well. mine also has the 'A' setting.. you'd have to have a adaptall2 PKA mount for it.. i've got 1 of them also for sale but it's almost 3 times the cost of the lens.. i also have a M adaptall2 mount for about the same cost of the lens..
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is all the dope on the lens:
Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm F/3.8-4 Model 103A
It was a pretty good lens when new. I considered buying one back in 1982, but decided on the lighter and more compact 70-150/3.5 (20A) instead. If the glass is good and the mechanism smooth, it would definitely be worth the $35.

There is the off chance that it has the Ricoh adapter with the dreaded Ricoh pin. Check before mounting!

Steve
02-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Igilligan

I got one of these about 6 weeks ago as a throw in with some filters I was buying. I use the manual K mount adapter as I could not afford the KA adaptal... I actually got it for the K mount adaptal mount to use on another lens, but this is no throw away zoom. Actually after trying this lens it makes me want to pony up for a KA adaptal to use on it.

Here are the first test shot I did with it. I think it is a pretty decent zoom and has nice close focus ability...

Tamron 80-210 BBAR MC adaptal - big crop on the first one

02-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here is all the dope on the lens:
Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm F/3.8-4 Model 103A
It was a pretty good lens when new. I considered buying one back in 1982, but decided on the lighter and more compact 70-150/3.5 (20A) instead. If the glass is good and the mechanism smooth, it would definitely be worth the $35.

There is the off chance that it has the Ricoh adapter with the dreaded Ricoh pin. Check before mounting!

Steve
the Ricoh pin on the adaptall mount isn't as bad as some other dedicated Ricoh mounts because its a ball. Plus its removable. I have a mount that had it removed when I got it.
02-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
the Ricoh pin on the adaptall mount isn't as bad as some other dedicated Ricoh mounts because its a ball. Plus its removable. I have a mount that had it removed when I got it.
That was my memory as well. I had one for a short time, but never had the nerve to try it on my K10D.

Steve
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. But all the info also got me thinking, since I don't really know what to look for when buying a used lens, would it make more sense for me to just save up a bit more and buy something new from B & H? It looked like they had some good deals on there in the less than or right around $200 range. I'm just really wary about buying used things from people, especially when I don't know exactly what to look for. I know I'm only out $35 if it turns out bad, but still.
02-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by jeenyus Quote
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. But all the info also got me thinking, since I don't really know what to look for when buying a used lens, would it make more sense for me to just save up a bit more and buy something new from B & H? It looked like they had some good deals on there in the less than or right around $200 range. I'm just really wary about buying used things from people, especially when I don't know exactly what to look for. I know I'm only out $35 if it turns out bad, but still.
I wish I was wary about buying used lenses... I would have a lot more money, but probably less fun.

If you are more comfortable buying new, then I would do that. I would say if you see a lens on this forum marketplace that you want, I would trust the sellers. These folks use these lenses and know what the 'real' condition is. On ebay you have some who just sell stuff they find in garage sales or attics and they may not know a lot about them.

Good luck
gus

02-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

One of these days (ha, ha) one of us should post a sticky thread with a used lens evaluation check-list. There are questions you can ask a seller and things you can do on initial inspection that will ferret out most serious issues.

Here are the things to look for:
  • Evidence of hard impact.
  • Bad filter threads
  • Damage to or excessive wear on the mount
  • Visible scratches/scuffs/chips to front or rear elements (particularly the rear)
  • More than incidental internal dust/debris
  • Fungus
  • Evidence of element separation
  • Internal water spots
  • Rough or jerky focus operation
  • Rough or jerky aperture ring
  • Rough or jerky zoom mechanism
  • Excessive barrel wobble (especially for one-touch zooms)
  • Loose/missing screws or parts
  • Sticky aperture diaphragm (check at all f/stops), action should be "snappy"
  • Oil on aperture blades (except for manual aperture lenses)
  • Asymmetrical aperture opening ("fallen" blade)
  • Bent or damaged coupling levers on mount

If possible, examine the lens in a dimly lit space with a strong penlight shone obliquely through the lens. Alternately, look at both the front and rear of the lens, both with and into the light. Any obvious faults with the glass (fungus, separation, scratches) will be readily apparent.

Steve
02-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
One of these days (ha, ha) one of us should post a sticky thread with a used lens evaluation check-list. There are questions you can ask a seller and things you can do on initial inspection that will ferret out most serious issues.

Here are the things to look for:
  • Evidence of hard impact.
  • Bad filter threads
  • Damage to or excessive wear on the mount
  • Visible scratches/scuffs/chips to front or rear elements (particularly the rear)
  • More than incidental internal dust/debris
  • Fungus
  • Evidence of element separation
  • Internal water spots
  • Rough or jerky focus operation
  • Rough or jerky aperture ring
  • Rough or jerky zoom mechanism
  • Excessive barrel wobble (especially for one-touch zooms)
  • Loose/missing screws or parts
  • Sticky aperture diaphragm (check at all f/stops), action should be "snappy"
  • Oil on aperture blades (except for manual aperture lenses)
  • Asymmetrical aperture opening ("fallen" blade)
  • Bent or damaged coupling levers on mount

If possible, examine the lens in a dimly lit space with a strong penlight shone obliquely through the lens. Alternately, look at both the front and rear of the lens, both with and into the light. Any obvious faults with the glass (fungus, separation, scratches) will be readily apparent.

Steve
Haha, this clinches it, I'll save up and buy something new I'm also bookmarking this post, for when I do eventually buy something used.

I would feel much more comfortable buying off of here, than off of craigslist, for the reason mentioned above, that people here know the true condition of the lens. That "pulled it out of the attic" thing is the kind of stuff I'm worried about.

I don't think I'd want to mess with adapters either.

Again thank you very much.
02-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeenyus Quote
Haha, this clinches it, I'll save up and buy something new I'm also bookmarking this post, for when I do eventually buy something used.

I would feel much more comfortable buying off of here, than off of craigslist, for the reason mentioned above, that people here know the true condition of the lens. That "pulled it out of the attic" thing is the kind of stuff I'm worried about.

I don't think I'd want to mess with adapters either.

Again thank you very much.
I didn't want to discourage you. If the lens in question is a good copy, it is probably worth the asking price. There are a lot of vintage gems to be found used. Here is one that I picked up this last week for only $30:

I haven't posted any sample images yet, but that 1971 Vivitar is a very nice piece of glass. It also is quite the looker

Steve
02-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There are a lot of vintage gems to be found used. Here is one that I picked up this last week for only $30:

I haven't posted any sample images yet, but that 1971 Vivitar is a very nice piece of glass. It also is quite the looker
And that Ricoh Singlex TLS is a serious piece of equipment. A great camera, practically indestructible, one of the first SLR to sport a Copal square shutter. [Sorry for the off-topic and sorry for hijacking the thread.]

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
No worries Abbazz, I'm beginning to think threads were meant for hijacking, like trains in westerns.

I need something to go beyond the 18-55 kit lens(There's a Heron I want a picture of and 55mm just won't get me close enough). I saw this in passing, it seemed like a good deal, but I'd much rather buy from someone on here, or from a reputable dealer. Also, is it really worth it if I have to buy adapters for it?

IGilligans photos certainly vouch for it being worth the money, but is there a better low priced lens, that wouldn't need adapters, to look for to get me beyond the kit lens' range.
02-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I had one of the Ricoh Singlex TLS cameras. It was my first SLR. It was pretty much indestructible, it once fell of my knee when I was changing films and it landed on a rock, the rock broke and the camera continued working with a bit of a dent in it.