Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
old lens

Just wondering if anyone here had ever shot with these lens before. I have a Vivitar 50mm f1.9 that I used at a wedding last month and had some pretty nice shots with and a Sears 28mm f2.8 that I am thinking of trying out with my ist dl. The Vivitar came on a Vivitar film camera my wife and I got back around 79 and the Sears came a couple of years later. The main reason I went with Pentax was because I could use theses old lens. Rick

03-31-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I hope to pick up some old really cheap lenses this summer, just like $20 throw around lenses that I don't expect to get a whole lot out of, but it would still be cool to have.
03-31-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I haven't shot with those particular lenses, but I have used some old Pentax M and A lenses, and the odd Tokina/Sigma/Tamron/Vivitar etc... They all work very well.

You don't mention what camera body you have. The K10D reportedly has some exposure issues with non "A" lenses. I have not tried my M lens yet, so I can not confirm.

Other than that, should be no problem with either of the 2 lenses you mention.
03-31-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am using a ist dl and a k100d. I got the 100d about 2 months ago and am really liking this camera. I have had the ist dl for over a year now and am still very pleased with it. Rick

03-31-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I hope to pick up some old really cheap lenses this summer, just like $20 throw around lenses that I don't expect to get a whole lot out of, but it would still be cool to have.
HEY! LoL never underestimate the power of aged glass. Like aged wine, many of lenses are far better than most of the AF glass made today.

Back then, competition was far stronger and manfucturing standards were for the most part really high. Like Pentax trying to out compete Zeiss. Many people who own the famous Takumar 50/1.4s will agree that its a sellar lens. Even the likes of third party manufacturers like Kiron, Ricoh, Vivitar, Makinon, Tokina (RMC). Good glass that you can easily find under $100 on ebay, second hand, etc.