Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 03:03 AM   #1

need help with buying those lenses:

Im planning to het pentax super program ina an offer with thoses lenses:

3 SMC Pentax Lenses:
SMC Pentax-A 1:4 35-70mm
SMC Pentax-M 1:3.5 135mm
SMC Pentax-A 1:4 70-210mm

The point is Im a beginner and dont know anything about lenses. Could someone be so kind and explain me? What I can use the for, what are they good for, or if they are good at all. Is one of them good to make portraits ? Thank you very much

02-19-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the 70-210 is in good condition, it's an excellent lens and might be your favorite tele zoom even on the digital body.
02-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Havn't used the first two but the 70-210mm lens is a good one. You can check out the lens review section for opinions on these lenses.

Any good for portraits... well I use it for portraits at least...
02-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are all good lenses. The A35-70/4 is a two touch zoom, meaning separate zoom and focus rings. It has a close focus mode at 70mm, down to about 10 inches. Pentax has another zoom with similar specs that is not constant f4 aperture, which feels much cheaper. I use the f4 version on my film camera; the focal length isn't that great on digital. It takes a 58mm filter like the A70-210/4 and has a six-blade aperture. I read something about barrel distortion at 35mm but it doesn't bother me.

The 135mm is a classic portrait length. It's a compact lens with an integral hood. This is also a well-built lens with excellent performance at all apertures. It uses a 49mm filter. It only focuses down to about 5 feet, and it's not quite as useful on digital as film.

The last zoom has a great reputation but I've never used it.

02-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not familiar with the 35-70, but the other two lenses are very, very good. I used a 135/3.5 M series on a KX for sports for several years. I still have the 70-210 and it works just fine on my K10D as well as the film bodies.
02-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by michalkrawczyk Quote
The point is Im a beginner and dont know anything about lenses. Could someone be so kind and explain me? What I can use the for, what are they good for, or if they are good at all. Is one of them good to make portraits ? Thank you very much
What you need is to check out a book on photography tha can explain the concepts of focal length and aperture. Then you'll know what those lenses are for. It's way too big a topic to answer in a forum posting.