Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is full frame capability a deciding factor for you when buying new lenses?
No, I decide my purchases mostly based on other aspects. 5156.67%
Yes, FF is a major or deciding factor for me. 3943.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't plan or wish to turn this thread into a discussion about whether Pentax will eventually release a full frame DSLR or not.
But that's exactly what this poll represents.

02-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
If there was a FF camera anytime, most likely it would be a high end one. Are you that much dedicated to photography to buy one? ...
This is a good point. If Pentax came out with a $3000 USD FF camera, I basically wouldn't buy one anyway because of the price - $3000 would buy so much great glass for the K30D.
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is a good point. If Pentax came out with a $3000 USD FF camera, I basically wouldn't buy one anyway because of the price - $3000 would buy so much great glass for the K30D.
what if you had a selection of amazing Pentax FF glass?
if by the time Pentax would have a FF camera I would have all the FA ltds .
and this Pentax FF camera would be street price $3000 with a kit of a new FA* 24-70 or a new FA*70-200. I would buy it in a sec

its not fair that my canon friends can collect all the lenses in the world and be ready for what ever camera they want in the future.
and with Pentax to get film glass I need to go to the black market and buy a used glass on-line with out feeling it first and with out warranty
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Nope, FF compatibility is a non-issue to me. There are more important things such as Image Quality, is it the right focal length, is it fast enough, is it value for money, size, weight, etc, etc to consider.

If the lens that I want happens to be FF compatible, then it's FF compatible. If its not, then it's not.

02-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Your poll is too limited. There should have been a third choice: given the choice, I prefer lenses that are *not* FF, because I see no reason pay for or have to carry around all that unnecessary glass when I have no intention of ever buying an FF camera.
02-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
No it doesn't. I don't care if Pentax ever releases an FF camera; that has no bearing whatsoever on my answer. Unless they force me at gunpoint to buy it, I have no intention of doing so.
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't plan or wish to turn this thread into a discussion about whether Pentax will eventually release a full frame DSLR or not. There are endless discussions about that already. However, it would be interesting to know how many of us happily buy DA crop sensor lenses and how many want FF capability - just in case.

So let's start the poll!
I still shoot film, using a PZ-1 primairly but also Ricoh XR2s and KX. therefore full frame especially and to a lesser extent the ability to have manual apature is of some importance

If you are only shooting DSLRs and not planning on digressions into film, don't worry. Also non FF lenses still work on modern film cameras, you just get dark corners
02-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
No it doesn't. I don't care if Pentax ever releases an FF camera; that has no bearing whatsoever on my answer. Unless they force me at gunpoint to buy it, I have no intention of doing so.
In other words: "No, I decide my purchases mostly based on other aspects." That's exactly my point, this is ultimately a full-frame poll, and your response confirms it. FWIW, I feel the same way.

02-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
emr

Well, if we do not consider film photography, I admit the poll sort of revolves around the question whether Pentax is going to release a FF camera. However, I did not want the emphasis to be on that aspect but more on how it is effecting people's lens buying behavior.
02-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

In other words: "No, I decide my purchases mostly based on other aspects." That's exactly my point, this is ultimately a full-frame poll, and your response confirms it.
In the post to which I was responding, I thought you were saying that the answer to the original question would somehow correlate with the answer to the question, "do you think Pentax will release an FF camera". And I assumed you were thinking anything who thought Pentax *would* release an FF camera would necessary prefer FF lenses. I was just pointing out that this isn't necessarily so.
02-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

I voted NO, but....
I'm doing a lot of research on lenses I'm buying, and by happenstance most of my lenses are FF compatible:
APS-C only:
Sigma 10-20
DA18-55

FF capable:
FA31
F50
DA40 (usable I believe)
Sigma 105
Tamron 70-300

not used but FF capable:
Hoya 135
Tokina 28

I think Sigma 10-20 would be te most missed lens.
BR
02-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Your poll is too limited. There should have been a third choice: given the choice, I prefer lenses that are *not* FF, because I see no reason pay for or have to carry around all that unnecessary glass when I have no intention of ever buying an FF camera.
in that case there should be other option too: I don't seek FF capability but I ended up with it...
02-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I don't know about you,...but the OP's (open ended) question is pretty clear to me:

c[_]

I voted "Yes".
02-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #29
emr

The results so far have been interesting. If I was posting the poll now, I'd formulate it like this:
  • No, I decide my purchases mostly based on other aspects.
  • Yes, FF is a major or deciding factor for me because of the possibility of Pentax releasing a FF sensor DSLR.
  • Yes, FF is a major or deciding factor for me because I shoot film.
02-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Hmm my most demanding point for choosing a lens is that it provide a field of view that I want/can take photos with it