Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is full frame capability a deciding factor for you when buying new lenses?
No, I decide my purchases mostly based on other aspects. 5156.67%
Yes, FF is a major or deciding factor for me. 3943.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
...And, sadly, I think the likelihood of Pentax going FF is shrinking monthly. We'll not see it in 2009 or 2010, and I personally don't think we'll see it.... ever. The market will have to be changed by a manufacturing process that makes the sensors cheaper - either economy of scale (not likely,) or some real breakthroughs in the technology...
Interesting story on the topic. I used to be very pro buying FF glass, now I don't really see the point of it (unless you have a specific reason of course).

When I bought a K10 in August of 07, it was my first SLR and in all my research, it seemed it was the best bang for buck with the caveat (for me) that the sensor was changing eventually and I would want it. So, I accepted the eventual body change and bought lenses accordingly.

Over the period of time between then and now, I've come to realize the same thing as J. I mean, _maybe_ Samsung will, but will it also sacrifice somewhere to compete on price? while it was nice to have all the manual, FF 'sweet spot' glass I did garner as a result of my diligence, the reasons I ever wanted a FF body only magnified over that time. In the end, I admitted it was worth the cost and effort to start over in a new body that matched my interests and I'm very pleased with the result, but I could have mapped things out better had I had a crystal ball.

So what have I learned that has changed my opinon? Today we see the market segmenting to meet consumer price and requirment points all across the board. FF is definately here to stay - and for the consumer, not just the pro - but on the same token, so too is APS-C it seems. Its feasible (probable?) Pentax will never go 24x36. If my hobby was not serious, I may have just bought more DAs for my K20 and enjoyed the cost saving. But what of this idea of buying FF glass for future proof purposes? Ask yourself this: Is it A)only for the 'insurance' (ie you think everything will be FF eventually)? Or B) are you actually hoping for the lenses to be used on a FF K-mount... someday? (or even perhaps a little of both?). I've learned that if you are serious about it, better insurance is simply buying that glass for a system that already has FF.

02-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #32
emr

I hadn't myself voted in this poll yet as I was still pondering upon the question. However, as I posted in another thread, I've come to the conclusion that no matter what the technical and image quality aspects tell us, the customers and money are heading the full frame way. So I see it a "bring full frame" or "go extinct" situation for Pentax. And as a conclusion, FF is a deciding factor for me if I'll get new additions to my modest lens collection.
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll buy specifically FF lenses when I get a FF camera. Until then I prefer to get the best offer for my *current* camera (K20D) and I don't really care if it's FF or not.
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I hadn't myself voted in this poll yet as I was still pondering upon the question. However, as I posted in another thread, I've come to the conclusion that no matter what the technical and image quality aspects tell us, the customers and money are heading the full frame way. So I see it a "bring full frame" or "go extinct" situation for Pentax. And as a conclusion, FF is a deciding factor for me if I'll get new additions to my modest lens collection.
This is what I don't understand. Do people assume that just because Pentax might offer FF as an *option*, that everyone will be forced to buy it? I can't imagine why I'd go out of my way to buy a bigger, more expensive camera on which the field of view of all my lenses suddenly changes. Only if Pentax actually *discontinued* the APS-C line would I reluctantly buy an FF body.

Now, of course, people who already have reason to want FF might make the change in an instant. But it seems you aren't in that category - like me, you seem to be seeing FF as somethng that others appear to be demanding but don't really concern us. So why be concerned about whether or not Pentax introduces an FF body?

I mean, Pentax maintained medium format and 35mm systems simultaneously for years, and I don't hear about 35mm people who refused to buy 35mm-only lenses because they wouldn't work on 645 systems they had no interest in. So why should APS-C people refuse to buy APS-C-only lenses just because they won't work as well on FF systems we have no interest in?

And I say they won't work "as well" because presumably, Pentax would do the same as others in making a "cropped" mode available that allowed the camera to emulate APS-C when using APS-C lenses, albeit with a corresponding reduction in resolution.

02-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #35
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This is what I don't understand. Do people assume that just because Pentax might offer FF as an *option*, that everyone will be forced to buy it? I can't imagine why I'd go out of my way to buy a bigger, more expensive camera on which the field of view of all my lenses suddenly changes. Only if Pentax actually *discontinued* the APS-C line would I reluctantly buy an FF body.
_When_ Pentax releases its FF DSLR (supposing it does not throw in the towel), it'll most likely have its prosumer models in FF format and probably only the entry-level bodies in APS-C format. So one with DA lenses only is bound to that category for new bodies.

Naturally there's no rush to get rid of those fine crop sensor lenses one already has, but as I personally only have two kit zooms in DA format, I see no reason to bind myself to APS-C more than I am now.

My 2 Euro-cents worth.