Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Is full frame capability a deciding factor for you when buying new lenses?
No, I decide my purchases mostly based on other aspects. 5156.67%
Yes, FF is a major or deciding factor for me. 3943.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
emr

When buying new lenses, do you demand FF capability?

I don't plan or wish to turn this thread into a discussion about whether Pentax will eventually release a full frame DSLR or not. There are endless discussions about that already. However, it would be interesting to know how many of us happily buy DA crop sensor lenses and how many want FF capability - just in case.

So let's start the poll!

02-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even with cropped sensors, FF capable lenses theoretically offer more bang for the buck. On a cropped sensor camera you will be using the sweetspot of the lens (and less of the edge) for the image. This allows the use of less expensive lenses with great results. Also helps with the vignetting problem.
02-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I would prefer FF compatibility, but I don't demand it. At this point 4 of my 5 oft used lenses are FF.

To get wide angles on APS-C you really have to go for digital only lenses. There are the Sigma 14mm and Tamron 14mm lenses which are full frame but they also cost around $1000 if you can find them new, and from what I've read their performance level doesn't match their price tag.

I think the DA* lenses are great. At least the 2 I've used are. Not only is their IQ generally amazing, but the weather sealing is nice as well. They're really the only digital only lenses that I think I would want at this point.

Basically, if there is a FF lens that can match a digital only lens as far as focal length/aperture/etc/, I would prefer to have the FF, even if it meant an increase in price.
02-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having obtained almost all of my lenses in "pre-DSLR days", having FF lenses is the "default" here.

There are some potential optical advantages is using FF lenses, as mithrandir has pointed out. However, as Votesh explained, there are also some very nice DA* lenses available.

In particular, I'm still toying with the idea of adding a D* 300/4 to the stable here, and giving the F* 300/4.5's some competition. I shoot a lot at 300mm, so this would seem like an interesting way to go (for my first APS-C lens)...

02-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Likewise, by default most of my lenses are FF at this point. I might dabble in the "digital only" zooms but I think I'd end up seeking out the FF primes.
02-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

new lenses

I will buy new lenses in the case if a FF pentax hit the market.
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes.

I assume a Pentax FF camera will come out eventually, even if 2 years from now, and eventually in a price bracket I can afford. And I want my lenses to last a lifetime.

02-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

IMO, anyone who has used the DA 35ltd extensively would reconsider a FF-only self-imposed restriction

And Nikon has just released a DX (1.5 crop) HSM digital-only 35mm f/1.8 lens with reportedly better optics than their FF 35 f/2 - for $199 MSRP.

The DA/DX lenses give you some advantages over FF lenses - one of which is a lower price because less glass is needed.

And, sadly, I think the likelihood of Pentax going FF is shrinking monthly. We'll not see it in 2009 or 2010, and I personally don't think we'll see it.... ever. The market will have to be changed by a manufacturing process that makes the sensors cheaper - either economy of scale (not likely,) or some real breakthroughs in the technology.

Pentax needs to make up too much brand-loyalty ground to catch up to Nikon/Canon, and Sony's camera division is just like a hobby to that huge company - they can do whatever they want, fail, and it almost doesn't matter.

I'd like to be wrong.

However, you can still take advantage of FF lenses on film, so it's not a wash.

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-19-2009 at 07:51 AM.
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Being I still shoot some film I want lenses I can use on both but I am planning on getting the DA 10-17 fisheye. With the current state of the family budget, I have only bought some used Takumars recently.
02-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I only have one APS-C - lens, the DA*16-50. All my other lenses are FF.
I do like the DA*16-50. However, it is likely to remain the only non-FF lens in my bag.
I am not saying anything at all about timing, but eventually I think Pentax will have to join the FF bandwagon.
02-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Demand? No. Though I do have a strong preference for FF capability as well as compatibility back to my film bodies. FF and presence of an aperture ring was a deciding factor on both my Sigma 50/2.8 macro and FA 35/2 purchases.

Steve
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If there was a FF camera anytime, most likely it would be a high end one. Are you that much dedicated to photography to buy one? Today the k20d is almost too profesionall and pricey for me to consider, k10d still might do, but a actually buying and using (bulky) FF is completely out of question any near time. Are you going to shoot film? Why pay more, narrow choice, add weight/size if its not actually needed?

Reffering to sweet spot thing. I have not reasearched it, but i belive in many cases only this argument may be wrong. Bad FF lens wont be good APS-C lens in the middle. Good APS-C lens should be good all over the image.
I think that the fact that FF lens should provide acceptable quality across whole frame, in some cases may not allow its quality to be maximized in center. Concentrating all efforts on smaller frame than trying to cover bigger one may produce lens with much more quality.
This is just my thoughts and are not based on any actual source or testing.
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I answered yes, but with a caveat. Like several others it is really just a strong preference that a lens work on both FF and APS-C. I have a PZ-1 and soon will have my mom's old superPROGRAM (that I just found out was still in the family) and enjoy shooting film as much as digital. So having lenses that I can use with all my Pentax cameras is a major advantage to me.
02-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I answered yes, but if you check my lens list, I have enough lenses for the film bodies as well as the DA lenses. On film, I have the 24-90, 70-210, 100 macro, 400, 1.4X and 1.7X converters. I have the three DA lenses for use on the K10D and also all the lenses listed in the previous sentence. Heaven!
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

for me huge issue. not only BC of FF but also BC I have film cameras.
it one thing to buy a new body every couple of years but to build a new lens set is very hard.
the major problem that I have with Pentax is not giving us the option of a fast FF zoom.
what if I want to use penatx for film? what option do I have? non
I could buy tamron or sigma but I dont want to.. I have a Pentax and I want to use Pentax glass.

I think FF or not pentax will have to give us 24-70 and 70-200 fast lenses with an aperture ring as well. or in other words bring the FA* back