Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
emr

Any German readers of fotoMAGAZIN? (a lens related question)

I was today at the library browsing the German fotoMAGAZIN February 2009 issue and there was a separate supplementary magazine which had brief test results from 360 different lenses. As my German's rather rusty (wasn't that great to begin with), I didn't understand quite everything. However, I got the impression that DA 16-45mm had better results for optical quality than DA* 16-50mm! Did I really understand that correctly and what did the results table actually say?

02-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #2

Sorry...for my english but i tried my best

@emr....Your impression is correct.

translated from "FotoMagazin Special Februar 2009"

Pentax da 4,0/16-45mm ED AL

Setting
High quality, very good operability,very good scattered light protection,close-border good.

Imaging capacity

clearly higher-contrast and higher resolution than the da 18-55 mm. errors at 16/28mm with max. aperture. stopping down improves the image contrast and the resolution.

Vignetting

visibly however very homogeneous

Distortion

barrel distortions at 16mm only. altogether very well

Optic : 81% at APS
Mechanic: 81%

FotoMagazin note: Very good

Vs.

Pentax 2,8/16-50 DA* ED IL SDM

Setting

Very high built quality, very good operability,the front element does not rotate,metal bayonet, MF-modus

Imaging capacity

performance is typical and fair at f/2.8, good at f/4 and very good from f/5.6 onwards.

Vignetting

at 2,8/16mm strong, at 50mm noticeably , stopped down very good

Distortion

at 16mm very strong, at 28mm excellent, at 50 mm well to very well

Optic: 73% APS
Mechanic: 88%

FotoMagazin note: Very good

Last edited by danduran; 02-21-2009 at 12:46 AM.
02-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
emr

Vielen Dank, danduran!

emr
02-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #4

Nichts zu danken!

Viele Grüße nach Finnland!

Dan

02-21-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The optically best of the Pentax standard lenses - as tested by ColorFoto, the second big German photo mag - is, by the way, the 17-70. It reaches the same performance level as the 16-45, but with an extended range.

Nevertheless, I tend to be very mistrustful, when reading such tests. Especially concerning the Fotomagazin, I read some tests, which very outregous. I remember a test, where the measurements put the Pentax contender at least en par with the very best Canon and Nikon lenses and clearly above the main field of the lenses in this test. But in the final summary, the editors only talked about the superior performance of the two Canon and Nikon lenses and did not even mention the at least equal quality of the Pentax lens. Since that day (and similar things had been printed before), I hardly ever bought Fotomagazin again ... You know, many, less technical inclined readers, simply skip all the graphs and measurements and just read the conclusion and advice - and that was extremely misleading.

Ben