Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Pentax Super Program need lens !! Please people :)

Hello everyone, Im looking to get a lens for my Pentax Super Program. What im lookinf for is a lens for portraits, headshots. What type of lenses will fit my Super program - new type of lenses will fit as well? its just i dont know what do I need to look for. Do you have any ideas ? Thank you for your time....

02-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #2

Original Poster
forgot to say that im a student so my budget is really limited. What do you think about this :

Pentax Super A with Lenses, filters, and accessories su eBay.it 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Cameras Photo
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Lenses without aperture ring will not work. Well, you can take the photo but the lens will always be at full aperture.

Other than that, any lens with PK mount and its derivatives (PKa, PKaf, ...) will work. Lenses without "A" setting on the aperture ring will not work in program mode and in shutter priority mode (It's been a while, I'm not sure if the Super A/Super Program has shutter priority mode). But manual and aperture priority modes will work.

M42 (screw mount) lenses will work with an adapter. But you will have to manually stop down the lens before taking the photo.

Of course focus is always manual.

The eBay listing seems to be a decent package. I'm not sure about the running prices in your area. There is one thing that I don't understand, however:

"The camera film counter has been disconnected to allow for film rolls in excess of 24 exposures!!!"

I don't have to disconnect the film counter on my SuperA to use film rolls of more than 24 exposures. You may want to ask the seller.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-19-2009 at 12:53 PM.
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That film counter thing sounds like 'its broken'... the lenses are good ones. I don't know if you need all of them, but they certainly cover the range.

The Super Program works in Program mode with ALL Pentax lenses (ones without aperture ring: in Pgm; ones without an A setting: the Pgm mode converts to Av automatically)... and unlike the Pgm Plus, the Super Pgm supports Tv as well.

Portraits and headshots - a reasonably fast or constant aperture regular zoom - 28 or 35mm at the wide end, 70-80mm at the long end - will suit most situations. Or even a 35-135 zoom. There are several listed in the lens review section. With manual focus you don't pay current prices, so you can get a yesteryear 'super' lens for little money. And you don't need to insist on a K-A lens, as portraits etc you'll probably be shooting in Av mode anyway.

Sorry I can't be very specific about the lenses, as there are lots of good to excellent choices out there - most Pentax glass, and Tamron (Adaptall or not), Sigma, Tokina, Soligor... The usual tell tale for a step up from kit lens quality is when the aperture stays below f/5...

I have a Tamron Adaptall 35-80 SP CF 2.8-3.8 which I've used for what you mention for 25 years, and it's a good one.

The other alternative is to go primes, for what you're after 50mm is plentiful, but the 70 to 105 range tends to be scarce and therefore expensive. 135mm is again plentiful and cheap.

02-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was taken with a SuperProgram and Sears 135mm f2.8 macro lens. It has the 'A' setting, earlier versions do not. It was scanned from Kodak 200 gold via Epson v500. I could have improved by using the Lightsphere II on the flash. I actually have 2 of these I bought new. The pka versions have macro in the name while early k and m42 versions don't. The macro is really just close focus with 1:5, 1:6 and 1:7 settings.

02-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #6

For portrait a 50mm f1.7 is good, if you want to get close up, a 135mm f2.8 is good for headshot, or fine a cheap zoom lens some are 28-75mm. If you want it cheap, try some Sears Brand, they have alot of 50mm and 135mm on ebay, they are abit bigger than the Pentax brand lens, but still take pretty good pictures and won't cost you more than $30 USD each.