Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super Tak Owners - CA?

The quality of Super Takumar images posted on this site are extremely good. I have non-SMC 200mm f/4 and 300mm f/4 teles. I like the color rendition very much but I'm getting a lot of CA and it's not pretty. It's not really PF as such but red/cyan and blue/yellow, sometimes on the same subject depending on the light. And the bokeh is really terrible. I have a Hoya HMC multi coated filter on each lens which I thought would help mitigate the CA but the following images are examples of what I see.

02-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

My Pentax M200/4 is like that too. I wonder if there's any similarities in the optical formula.

- Andrew
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can't comment on those particular lenses but I have other non SMC Takumar lenses which don't have CA issues.
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The quality of Super Takumar images posted on this site are extremely good. I have non-SMC 200mm f/4 and 300mm f/4 teles. I like the color rendition very much but I'm getting a lot of CA and it's not pretty. It's not really PF as such but red/cyan and blue/yellow, sometimes on the same subject depending on the light.
This is lateral color (transverse chromatic aberration). You will find it on almost every lens over 150mm in focal length, unless it is an "apo" lens, a lens using low dispersion glass (ED) or a catadioptric (mirror) lens. Please refer to the superb web page of Paul van Walree if you need more details about the chromatic aberrations -- and if you need a good reason to stop drooling every time you see the Canon EF 85/1.2 L USM...

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
And the bokeh is really terrible. I have a Hoya HMC multi coated filter on each lens which I thought would help mitigate the CA but the following images are examples of what I see.
The Hoya HMC filter will have absolutely no effect on the chromatic aberrations. Contrary to a widespread belief, it also won't help reducing lens flare or enhancing contrast. If you want maximum quality out of your lenses, put a deep lens shade on them and use them without any filter. If you need a filter for protection or to add some effect then, yes, a multicoated filter is better than a non coated filter.

Cheers!

Abbazz

02-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies. Thanks for the link Abbazz. It explained a lot. I knew what CA was but never saw it displayed so distinctly. Some of the CA in his images are exactly what I noticed in mine. No lens needs to be stressed like that but some are much worse than others. Good thing we have PP software to help out.