Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

Vivitar lens question

Hi all, does anyone know much about the Vivitar 300mm f5.5 lens? i have the chance to buy it along with a Yashinon 50mm f1.7 both for $25. both lenses are screw mount and should fit my Spotmatic and my KX with an adaptor.
i have looked at both and they look good, but i think the blades on the Vivitar are a bit slow and the 50mm might recess into the camera body too much when focusing to infinity...
any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by migz55; 02-19-2009 at 07:14 PM.
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd buy them for $25. If you don't, let me know.

The Vivitar 300mm is a decent lens. It is big and heavy, but usable handheld. The slowness of the aperture blades is OK, at least for now, because the lens will be in stop-down mode (at least on the KX) anyway. The aperture mechanism does not need to be snappy.

If you want to clean the blades, you can do so. If you somehow damage the lens in the process, you don't lose that much.

I have the Yashinon 50mm f1.7, but have not used it yet (I have probably 12 50mm lenses). I will try it tonight and report back.
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'd buy them for $25. If you don't, let me know.

The Vivitar 300mm is a decent lens. It is big and heavy, but usable handheld. The slowness of the aperture blades is OK, at least for now, because the lens will be in stop-down mode (at least on the KX) anyway. The aperture mechanism does not need to be snappy.

If you want to clean the blades, you can do so. If you somehow damage the lens in the process, you don't lose that much.

I have the Yashinon 50mm f1.7, but have not used it yet (I have probably 12 50mm lenses). I will try it tonight and report back.
Seems like a very decent price to me .... LBA rules, especially for those price. I will cut coffee to get the 300mm lens.

Hey SOldbear , is that you? I bought my Tokina sz-x 287 28-70mm f/2.8-4.3 zoom from you about 2 years ago. I hope it is you, it is a small world and I am glad to run into you again. I have since sold the lens due to un-managed LBA behavior, but I couldn't thank you enough for the wonderful experience.

About the Vivitar 300mm lens, what serial number does it start with. I personally like lens from Komine, Kiron, and Tokina. Cosina is also nice. And I have since remembered them by heart when I spotted a Vivitar lens with a serial number starting with these numbers:
  • komine -- 28
  • kiron -- 22
  • tokina -- 37
  • cosina -- 9

How will the lens compare to SuperTakumar 300mm? There seems many variations of Takumar in the 300mm f/4.0 lens, I wonder how the Takumar (many variations) compare to the Vivitar 300mm.

Thanks,
Hin
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I tried the Yashinon last night. I can see why you're concerned about the rear element sticking out (or is it sticking in?) to far into the camera body. It does stick out farther than on any lens that I have. I try the lens on these bodies: Spotmatic II, K1000, MX, and K10D, none of them has any problem. I think it's safe to use.

It is also a pleasant surprise: the lens is very sharp, probably as sharp as the Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4. I think I will be using it more and more from now on. There is only a minor problem: it does not have "Manual" setting. So it depends on the camera body to push the pin in to close the aperture before the shutter release. That is of course not posible with a body with PK mount, so you need to modify the lens to set it permanently in "manual" (stop-down) mode. My lens was modified by the previous owner.

About the 300mm f/5.5, I don't have it in PK mount. The lens has Soligor/Vivitar TX universal mount and currently it has a TX adapter for Nikon AI mount. I was able to (kind of) attach the lens to the K10D body to take some test photos and found that I like the lens. But the lens does not latch securely to the body, so I put the lens on the shelf, waiting for a TX adapter for PK or M42 mount (I put this in the "wanted" forum).

(I need to steal this thread a bit to reply to Hinman; he's a nice guy)

[STEAL]

Hey Hin,

Yup, that's me SOldBear who sold you the Tokina a while back. It's nice to meet you here. I've heard that you've inflicted a great deal of LBA to people on the forums here

I myself have no experience with any of the Takumar 300mm. This is my most recent found:

K1000 body, Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 (67mm filter thread, Cosina-made), SMC Pentax-A 35mm f/2.8, Vivitar 283 flash with SC-1 remote cord, Zero Halliburton aluminum case. Everything is like new. All for $100, and the guy dropped it off my office. Life is good

[/STEAL]

02-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IVivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 (67mm filter thread, Cosina-made)
Hey, I have one of those. For some reason I thought I needed a 28-105, got two, then never used them. I took a couple of pictures with the Vivitar and it has a warm yellow color cast.
02-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About the 300mm f/5.5, I don't have it in PK mount. The lens has Soligor/Vivitar TX universal mount and currently it has a TX adapter for Nikon AI mount. I was able to (kind of) attach the lens to the K10D body to take some test photos and found that I like the lens. But the lens does not latch securely to the body, so I put the lens on the shelf, waiting for a TX adapter for PK or M42 mount (I put this in the "wanted" forum).
I have a 300 f/3.5 T4 mount - a decent lens but not top drawer. A t4 mount works on TX lenses by the way, but not necessarily the other way around. I managed to get a TX on the T4 300, but with a max aperture of f/4.

So if you have a T4 or can get one, it's as good as TX for you
02-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies…

Well LBA struck again and I went ahead and bought the lenses. I did try the 50mm on my Spotmatic and the mirror did hang up, but only when focused completely out so I will have to remember that in the future.
Thank you SOldBear for checking in to the Yashinon I appreciate the post…I do like the lens it is very clear and yes I agree that it is almost as sharp as my Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4.
As for the 300mm it is a nice old lens, all glass and metal got to love how they made them back in the day.
hinman, I did check on the serial # and it starts with 37, do does that mean it was made by Tokina and is just a rebadge?

Once again thanks for the reply…always good to get other Pentaxian opinions.

02-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
[QUOTE=SOldBear;496377]There is only a minor problem: it does not have "Manual" setting. So it depends on the camera body to push the pin in to close the aperture before the shutter release. That is of course not posible with a body with PK mount, so you need to modify the lens to set it permanently in "manual" (stop-down) mode.

SOldBear i was wondering if you had any tips on how to modify new lens as you mentioned?
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
[QUOTE=migz55;498018]
There is only a minor problem: it does not have "Manual" setting. So it depends on the camera body to push the pin in to close the aperture before the shutter release. That is of course not posible with a body with PK mount, so you need to modify the lens to set it permanently in "manual" (stop-down) mode.

SOldBear i was wondering if you had any tips on how to modify new lens as you mentioned?
I am documenting the changes needed to convert an Auto only M42 lens in this thread, perhaps you can make some reference. Risk is involved in opening up the lens, the best method seems to find a tubing that the pin can insert through and use the 2mm tubing to lock the pin in place as if it is depressed from top

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51749-m42-auto...ification.html

I was busy over the weekend along with several failed attempts. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks,
Hin