Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdphoto Quote
Could be because the minimum focus distance is to the sensor, not the front of the lens. You may indeed end up with only 1" or so of working distance from the front of the lens to the in-focus part of the subject.

The "minimum focusing distance" specified for my DA 35 Limited is 5.4 inches. Working distance is more like 0.9".
I think that's a bit of a stretch. I don't see the phrase 'working distance' in the description.

Here is what the auction says,
QuoteQuote:
Super Macro
An ingenious internal focus system allows photographers to focus from as close as approx. 1" (approx. 2.5 cm), giving them the power to fill the whole frame with surprisingly small subjects.
It also says,
QuoteQuote:
this lens effectively compensates to overcome chromatic aberration throughout the image.
I own this lens. It has the absolute worst CA or purple fringing of any lens I own. It is a misrepresentation to say it doesn't have CA.

Don't get me wrong, I love using this lens. But don't say it focuses down to 1 inch and doesn't have CA's.

This seller is lying his a$$ off.

02-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I really need to find one of these!
02-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I own this lens. It has the absolute worst CA or purple fringing of any lens I own. It is a misrepresentation to say it doesn't have CA.

Don't get me wrong, I love using this lens. But don't say it focuses down to 1 inch and doesn't have CA's.

This seller is lying his a$$ off.
Well, the focusing distance itself isn't that much of a stretch- I just tested mine while reading this, and the front end of the lens is a little less than 2" from the screen and I can get focus.

The seller's comment about the CA and purple fringing is a joke though - you are 100% correct it has the worst CA and purple fringing I've ever seen. I absolutely hated this lens (using PS Elements) because I couldn't correct for it. Those were the only shots I ever converted using the Pentax Photo Lab software because it had adjustments for CA. (but not purple fringing)

to the OP: yes, $356 isn't a bad price at all, I think when I bought mine it was in the $390-s.
02-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks to everyone who replied!! You've all been very helpful.

Unfortunately, my out-of-warranty Sigma flash just went South so now I need to juggle some additional priorities (such as how long can I get by using an old Sunpak 383 Super instead).