Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #1

My new lens is a photoshop plugin

Hyperbole? Maybe, but I think it is justified in this case. The plugin is 'fisheye-hemi' and it modifies images from a fisheye lens. It does not 'de-fish' the images in the normal sense (otherwise this thread would be very misleading). Instead, the image is transformed so that verticals are straightened, but horizontals are left bent. This creates a 'sort of fisheye' result, which I really like.

This means my 10-17 lens can work in four ways:

1 - True fisheye at 10mm, with lots of distortion.
2 - Fisheye at 10mm, but with careful composition to avoid any lines that do not go through the center of the image. The image does then not look 'fisheye'
3 - Ultrawide Rectilinear using standard de-fishing. This seems to work best at the 17mm end than the 10mm
4 - Partial fisheye at 10mm with the fisheye-hemi removing some aspects of the distortion.

I did find a coupon "Savvy" for 10% off.

BTW, I have no link what so ever with the plugin creators or vendors.

02-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
BTW, I have no link what so ever with the plugin creators or vendors.
here you go:

Plugin page: Image Trends - Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In - Corrects Fisheye Lens Distortion and retains Image Content Details
Ken Rockwell's review: Fisheye-Hemi
02-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many thanks for shjaring this plug-in with us. Letting to know is very important.

thanks
02-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
Oops - I was trying to convey that I did not have any financial link with the creators and had no ulterior motive for publicizing their software. My comment ended up being very ambiguous at best, especially when I messed up and did not include a URL.

02-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
I read somewhere that Ken Rockwell doesn't require fisheye lens distortion correction: Space-time itself bends for him.
02-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I read somewhere that Ken Rockwell doesn't require fisheye lens distortion correction: Space-time itself bends for him.
Poor old Ken is an easy target, but he does have some articles that I find interesting. For instance How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses was quite good, Your Camera Doesn't Matter was intriguing, and his pointer to 1x.com and Mountain Light Photography | Galen and Barbara Rowell |Fine Art Prints, Photo Workshops, Stock Photography have been very valuable.