Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
These are the bearings I have used to replace my escapees:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=BB-1-5M

The 1.5mm size works for Pentax-M lenses. Takumar bearings seem to be larger and Pentax-A bearings are smaller. I don't know the exact original merasurements
Dave, thanks for the micro-tools.com website. This is a cool place! I have ordered 1.2mm, 1.5mm and 1.7mm as it is only a dollar for five. Now that I think about it, I should order the 1.0mm also.

Thanks,
Hin

03-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Micro-Tools are awesome

Good luck, Hin!
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #18

how come you want this lens in manual only?
03-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wilkin Quote
how come you want this lens in manual only?
Without the fix, the M42 lens is at wide open aperture and there is no mechanics in the K10/20/100/200 KAF mount bodies to depress the pin. I don't know how to say it correctly, but a modification is needed for the lens to work in all apertures

There are many Auto M42 lens that have the A/M switch for auto and manual. For those M42 lens, you want to switch to M for manual diaphragm so that the aperture is governed by what you set on the aperture ring. But there are older M42 lens such as mine in the picture that don't have the A/M switch.

Thanks,
Hin

03-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #20

ok i see, its so you can have full control of the aperture
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a few other lens brands that have the auto-only function too. Here's an easy solution that's worked for me:

- Clean the pin and base with a degreasing agent (alcohol, etc)

- Prepare a drop of fast setting (5-minute) epoxy glue (about 1.0-1.5 mm in size should do). A windshield chip repair kit should also provide a source of quick set 'glue'.

- place it on a piece of wax paper, glass or other non-stick surface

- Set the base of the lens/pin on the drop of epoxy

- Use a knife or razor blade to trim any excess epoxy after it sets

The idea is to trap the pin in the hole with epoxy. There isn't much surface for the epoxy to adhere to and the pin is polished so make sure the area is clean and oil-free.

A Dremel Tool with an engraving bit could be used to slightly roughen the surface of the pin and enlarge one side of the hole to provide enough area for an adequate amount of epoxy, but I've never needed to do that with the pin and hole free of grease and wax.

H2

Before trying this method, I'd considered drilling and threading the side of the lens mount to take a small set screw to hold the pin retracted. Using the glue plug saves disassembling the lens.

I expect the epoxy plug could be removed later with a pointed tool if desired.
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
There are a few other lens brands that have the auto-only function too. Here's an easy solution that's worked for me:

- Clean the pin and base with a degreasing agent (alcohol, etc)

- Prepare a drop of fast setting (5-minute) epoxy glue (about 1.0-1.5 mm in size should do). A windshield chip repair kit should also provide a source of quick set 'glue'.

- place it on a piece of wax paper, glass or other non-stick surface

- Set the base of the lens/pin on the drop of epoxy

- Use a knife or razor blade to trim any excess epoxy after it sets

The idea is to trap the pin in the hole with epoxy. There isn't much surface for the epoxy to adhere to and the pin is polished so make sure the area is clean and oil-free.

A Dremel Tool with an engraving bit could be used to slightly roughen the surface of the pin and enlarge one side of the hole to provide enough area for an adequate amount of epoxy, but I've never needed to do that with the pin and hole free of grease and wax.

H2

Before trying this method, I'd considered drilling and threading the side of the lens mount to take a small set screw to hold the pin retracted. Using the glue plug saves disassembling the lens.

I expect the epoxy plug could be removed later with a pointed tool if desired.
Thank you for the suggestion and use of epoxy glue.

03-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ball bearing comes from micro-tools. That place is awesome place

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=BB-1-5M

03-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Ball bearing comes from micro-tools. That place is awesome place
And they send you candy! The bearing looks good.

There was a K-mount version of this lens on eBay a couple of days ago that sold for about $80. I was looking at it but decided that I wanted to put my money towards a different lens.