Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A35 F/2...it was me

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I finally managed to get the A35 F/2.

Pentax-A SMC 35mm f2 Wide Angle P/K mount w/HA-90B case on eBay, also, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 17-Feb-09 02:53:19 GMT)

This lens was like-new-in-box, and must have been in a collection, or new-old-stock. I am so looking forward to using it as my standard lens. Its almost like the old days again. Razor sharp from F/4 up, usable wide open. For anybody who was watching it on the Ebay, sorry to have bid so high, but I missed four previously by being sniped, and I was NOT going to miss another. I dont know how to post pics on this forum, maybe somebody can enlighten this old-timer.

02-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
I finally managed to get the A35 F/2.

Pentax-A SMC 35mm f2 Wide Angle P/K mount w/HA-90B case on eBay, also, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 17-Feb-09 02:53:19 GMT)

This lens was like-new-in-box, and must have been in a collection, or new-old-stock. I am so looking forward to using it as my standard lens. Its almost like the old days again. Razor sharp from F/4 up, usable wide open. For anybody who was watching it on the Ebay, sorry to have bid so high, but I missed four previously by being sniped, and I was NOT going to miss another. I dont know how to post pics on this forum, maybe somebody can enlighten this old-timer.
Nice one!

That seller has is a store downtown here, and it's where I got my K100D. Great store in case you were worried! (it's eBay, you can always worry, right?)
02-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy it. I wouldn't part with my A35/2, it's just too good a lens.
02-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was watching for that too but didn't bid. I think you got a winner.

02-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LBA sated.....................

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Nice one!

That seller has is a store downtown here, and it's where I got my K100D. Great store in case you were worried! (it's eBay, you can always worry, right?)
You would not believe how well they packed it. Original hard case, original box, original warranty card, all like new. Somebody bought this lens new and kept it in its box especially for me. It's quite humbling really.

I can sleep at nights now instead of waiting on ebay with a trigger finger and heart in mouth. I suppose I should sell my "M" version of this lens now. Its also a gem, but the metering issues are just outside my tolerance level for convenience, that's why I wanted the "A" version so much. Gorgeous wife thinks I am bonkers. She also thinks my LBA is sated................
02-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was watching the auction and seriously considered buying it - but not at that price, as I already have the M-version, the FA and then the 31mm ltd. Just for collecting dust in my cupboard? No, better be the lens with you. Use it!

Ben
02-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Nice find and a beautiful lens. Sounds like a nearly new version.

As for posting pictures. there are a number of ways to do it. Go to the 'Post your photos" forum here: Post your photos! - PentaxForums.com
and the top section of posts (sticky's) are the instructions. Thread #2,3 and 4 have all the answers

02-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

better than the FA35 f/2?

I don't quite understand.
Is this lens supposed to be so much better than the FA35 f2?
02-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I had the same thoughts. I'm not familiar with the lens. What are it's advantages over the FA35?
02-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brucestrange Quote
I had the same thoughts. I'm not familiar with the lens. What are it's advantages over the FA35?
It's easy to find a like new condition FA35, but it's very hard to find an A35/2 as new as the above one, thus the high price. It's more or less for collector purpose, or for someone who really appreciates the excellent built quality and great handling of an old manual lens
02-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Dedicated manual focus. Plus, the focus motor should last my lifetime without serious problems.

I never did enjoy AF, and still feel I can focus better than the machine, particularly since I know what I'm trying to focus on.

Old-school I guess.

Dyed in the wool.

Stuck in the mud.

YMMV
02-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Dedicated manual focus. Plus, the focus motor should last my lifetime without serious problems.

I never did enjoy AF, and still feel I can focus better than the machine, particularly since I know what I'm trying to focus on.

Old-school I guess.

Dyed in the wool.

Stuck in the mud.

YMMV
That is dedication!
If manual focus is what you're after, then I see why you woud prefer an A to a FA.
And indeed, the build quality is of course a bonus as well.
I have some MF lenses as well but they weren't picked for that reason: guess I'm not that decicated .
(Pretty sure I'm even more old-school though).
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

woah ... i was just at that store today getting my film
their used section always seems kinda bare, but maybe next time i should check out what they have.
02-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
woah ... i was just at that store today getting my film
their used section always seems kinda bare, but maybe next time i should check out what they have.
That's the thing--they never have anything in the used section. I guess they go straight for eBay with the good stuff, same as Henry's--probably not a bad idea with the currency exchange.
02-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Haha Downtown Camera's used section is very limited way over priced. Go to Henry's Outlet Centre if you want slightly better to better prices and a lot more selection!

Btw, nice find on the A35, its a little pricey but that aside, I would prefer it over the FA35 I have now. I use the FA35 on manual focus full time anyways and I can't tell for sure from the photos but..that looks to be like one of the few metal "A" primes I've seen haha. The A50/1.4 I used to have was plastic. -_-