Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 404
My lens kit

After some thought as to what I would like to have, what is out there, best value for my purposes, reviews posted here and elsewhere, sample photos, and the kinds of photography I'm either into or would like to be into more my kit has become the following.
Primes:
Pentax DA21mm f3.2 LTD - for wide view, compact size
Pentax FA31mm f1.8 LTD - my fastest lens, standard view, low-light
Pentax DA70mm f2.4 LTD - for narrow view, compact size
Tamron AF90mm f2.8 Di Macro - close-ups, flowers and bugs
Zooms:
Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.0 - good all-round, light, cheap. Fills the gap between 31mm and 70mm with adequate (for me, for now) performance.
Vivitar S1 70-210mm f3.5 - cheapest (bought used), manual everything, sports
Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG - when you can't or shouldn't get too close, nature and wildlife

I also have a good solid tripod and wireless-capable external strobe. By fall I may feel the need to add something that at some point during the summer I wished I'd had along. But for now I'm feeling satisfied and a little pumped at getting out there and collecting some images.
--
dbh

03-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 184
Here's my eventual kit

My ultimate kit:
Primes:
DA21mm
FA31mm
DA40mm
DA70mm

Zooms:
DA10-17mm
DA16-50mm
DA50-135mm
DA50-200mm
Sigma 135-400mm

Now all I need to do is sell a few lenses (Tokina 80-400mm, Sigma 17-70mm and FA50mm) and book a couple of gigs to make some $$ for the lenses I'm missing. Just finished my website Home
03-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 27
I'll take that FA50mm off your hands.
03-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member
FotoPete's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,710
Grrr.. I can never find the kiron Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5. bUt that would be my favourite line up.

Vivitar S1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5
Vivitar S170-210mm f3.5 (<- need this one but I'm broke haha)

03-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by Leya216 Quote
My ultimate kit:
Primes:
DA21mm
FA31mm
DA40mm
DA70mm

Zooms:
DA10-17mm
DA16-50mm
DA50-135mm
DA50-200mm
Sigma 135-400mm

Now all I need to do is sell a few lenses (Tokina 80-400mm, Sigma 17-70mm and FA50mm) and book a couple of gigs to make some $$ for the lenses I'm missing. Just finished my website Home
I just checked out your website and like it a lot!
the only thing I would do is make the pics clickable to an enlarged version... that size you have now just doesn't do great photography like yours justice

cheers

randy
03-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 212
I have the S1 28-90 in Canon FD mount. It is a fantastic lens, albeit a little heavy with that huge front element. Would definitely be a nice find in K-mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Grrr.. I can never find the kiron Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5. bUt that would be my favourite line up.

Vivitar S1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5
Vivitar S170-210mm f3.5 (<- need this one but I'm broke haha)
03-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
I have the S1 28-90 in Canon FD mount. It is a fantastic lens, albeit a little heavy with that huge front element. Would definitely be a nice find in K-mount.
Canon lenses cannot be mounted on pentax SLR camera. Way too big to for canon lenses to whack on pentax camera.
03-31-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 364
The kit i am working on

Sigma 10-20 DC EX f4-5.6
Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8
Pentax DA 35 f1.4 (If it pans out like that)
Pentax FA 50 f1.4
Pentax DA* 50-135 F2.8
Pentax FA 77 f1.8 LTD
Pentax DFA 100 f2.8 MACRO
Pentax DA* 200 f2.8
Pentax DA* 300 f4

04-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 184
Thanks Randy

I made the images smaller because most people over here have lower res screens... However I think maybe your on to something- maybe I'll set up a separate gallery with higher res images for those that are upgrading to higher res ones... *sigh* I thought I finally finished with it, the webmaster's work is never done!

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I just checked out your website and like it a lot!
the only thing I would do is make the pics clickable to an enlarged version... that size you have now just doesn't do great photography like yours justice

cheers

randy
04-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK/Canada/wherever work takes me
Posts: 95
Like the website!

Great photos and I really like the text you have chosen too, seems very well thought out. I think it will sell especially well to women; you've really played on the special day, romance element very well!
04-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Finn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,056
So are we all just sharing? Well then here's the current lineup (which doesn't include various other lenses that overlap):

FA 31/1.8 (on the way!!!)
Super Takumar 50/1.4
Tamron 90/2.5 macro (but a good tele as well)
Also, an FA 28-90 to temporarily cover some of the gaps

To fill in the gaps:
DA 21/3.2
FA 43/1.9
FA 77/1.6

Argh! How I miss having a wide angle lens!!! I may have to just suck it up and put down $80 for the 18-55 for the time being, untill I find a spare $400 for the 21...
04-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by Leya216 Quote
I made the images smaller because most people over here have lower res screens... However I think maybe your on to something- maybe I'll set up a separate gallery with higher res images for those that are upgrading to higher res ones... *sigh* I thought I finally finished with it, the webmaster's work is never done!
You are so right!
I have been working on a website for my wife's buisness sassyslash.html and it is taking forever.... we don't always agree on the design but it seems to be going well overall.
putting up the "core" of the website doesn't take long, its the details that suck up most of your time.

cheers

randy
04-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member
FotoPete's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
I have the S1 28-90 in Canon FD mount. It is a fantastic lens, albeit a little heavy with that huge front element. Would definitely be a nice find in K-mount.
Yea I have the Kmount one luckily. Found a buy-it-now on ebay. Its insanely sharp! the only problem is trying to track down a K-Mount Vivitar S1 70-210 (the Kiron 67mm filter size one)
04-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 212
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Canon lenses cannot be mounted on pentax SLR camera. Way too big to for canon lenses to whack on pentax camera.
I'm painfully aware of this fact. Too bad though. 50 1.4, 28 f2.8, 70-210 f4 and the aforementioned Vivitar S1 would be as nice a kit on the K100 as it was on the Canon. It's ok though, I think the Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 or 1.4 will be an even better lens, once I find one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, kit, lens, ltd, pentax, pentax lens, size, slr lens, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k-x lens , kit 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL , what 50mm f1.4 can do over kit lens? crossing Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 01-15-2010 03:23 PM
Nature This is what a kit lens can do (K20D+kit) vulcanman Photo Critique 8 12-31-2009 06:52 PM
k-x kit lens vs old k1000 kit lens SouthernOracle Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-28-2009 07:17 AM
K200D kit lens vs K-x kit lens alehel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 12-20-2009 05:38 AM
For Sale - Sold: WTT Pentax 18-55 AL II kit lens for 18-55 AL kit lens + money wallyb Sold Items 2 11-11-2009 02:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top