Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
My 50-135 is still the fastest SDM lens at the moment and is crazy awesome.
It seems that DA* 50-135 is the only SDM lens everyone appears to be happy with in terms of SDM AF benefits. For now, I am avoiding SDM lenses - it seems that Pentax has not perfected the technology yet. I don't know about DA 17-70 -- since it is the first SDM-only lens it may be optimized to benefit from SDM, but again I don't know. Anyone?

02-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the lens could get this color/contrast/sharpness at f/1.8, I'd buy it:

f/1.8
02-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
You are NOT alone in what you discovered. I'm actually in the middle of writing a review of the 55mm for an online publication and both the lab results and my experience after shooting with the lens for several weeks are not particularly positive.

I'm still an active Pentax user, although I also shoot with other cameras/lens, and I think Pentax makes the best primes in the business. However, last year's 300mm and this year's 55mm are the two worst Pentax primes I've used in many years.

They're NOT horrible lenses ... they just aren't as good as what I've seen from other Pentax lenses.

Out of curiosity, what body/bodies did you use the 55mm with ... I noticed different performance depending on the body.
i can't sure 55mm. but i heard that 300mm is one of the best len available in K mount (or even other mount).
Would u pls share your experience with the 300mm?
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
It seems that DA* 50-135 is the only SDM lens everyone appears to be happy with in terms of SDM AF benefits.
"in terms of SDM AF benefits" huh? There is basically only one benefit of SDM: The lens is quiet.

It doesn't do your laundry or your dishes, if that's what you're talking about.

02-22-2009, 02:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I dunno guys...increased contrast, sharpness and better bokeh with weather sealing? Seems like a step up across the board. Remember the FA50 (and 50mm's from brands in general) are already some of the best performing lenses lenses...so to improve upon the classics is pretty exciting to me.

Premium lens for a premium price? Looks that way!
02-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
It seems that DA* 50-135 is the only SDM lens everyone appears to be happy with in terms of SDM AF benefits. For now, I am avoiding SDM lenses - it seems that Pentax has not perfected the technology yet. I don't know about DA 17-70 -- since it is the first SDM-only lens it may be optimized to benefit from SDM, but again I don't know. Anyone?
I was with you 100% back a month ago as for fast actions shots I avoided using sdm lens (only DA*200mm) at all. And the fastest AF lens of mine seemed to be FA135mm

I am still doing manual lens (A300mmF4) even for bif shots.

That was until this set of images proving that I needed to improve my skill and view of using sdm lens. I doubt if my FA135mm can manage this pace at all

Fast action shots DA200mm - Pentax / Samsung dSLR - Digital SLR Cameras - Steves-digicams.com Forums

Daniel
02-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I tested the lens on the K10D and the K20D.
The presented results were all with the K20D.

Yes the lens is half right.
It is better optically, but very slow in AF speed.
For me personally this is very disappointing since I wanted to use the lens e.g. for indoor shooting of kids, where I always thought the FA50 to be a little slow. Take that! The FA slow! Right. It is still slightly to slow for kids.

Well ...
For its price, it should at least prepare breakfast for your kids and drive them to school too.

But seriously, thanks for the comparison and the lens was noticeably better optically. If you want fast AF, perhaps, try DA 40.

02-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I still need to have more test myself on the focus speed of the SDM. I just would not write it off yet . So far
02-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I dunno guys...increased contrast, sharpness and better bokeh with weather sealing? Seems like a step up across the board. Remember the FA50 (and 50mm's from brands in general) are already some of the best performing lenses lenses...so to improve upon the classics is pretty exciting to me.

Premium lens for a premium price? Looks that way!
I more or less agree.

In this focal length about all that's left that can reasonably be improved at the current state of optics, compared to other lens' in this focal length, is to make small incremental marginal improvements around the edges no matter how much money you throw at it.

Marginal improvements at a stunning price increase compared to main stream 50s is exactly what I would have expected and Pentax has not disappointed. To expect improvements anywhere near in proportion to the price increase is to expect a miracle not a lens.

The FA 50 at 200 bucks, in this focal range, is already at the point of rapidly diminishing returns.

Speaking only for myself I'm going to put in my order for a FA 50 while I can still get one.

Last edited by wildman; 02-22-2009 at 03:03 AM.
02-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #25
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
However, last year's 300mm and this year's 55mm are the two worst Pentax primes I've used in many years.
Thats the point were you can stop reading flame articles...

Lets see the facts from other I know:

"The DA* 55 is sharper than a FA*85 1.4. It has the better bokeh and its colours are warmer..."
"The DA*55 is as quick in AF as a lense in the middle of DA*16-50 and DA*50-135..."

When a man had come two years ago and had said:
"Hey, I give you a brandnew Pentax prime.

Its sharper than the FA50 1.4 and the FA*85 1.4 from corner to corner.
Its contrast is mutch better.
The colours are warmer.
The bokeh up from 1.6 is mutch better.
Its build weatherproofed.
Its quicker in AF than the DA*16-50.
It has IQ like a 85mm 1.2L lens from canon with a price tag of 1.300 Euro. Its quicker in AF than the famouse canon L lens more than triple the price!! (but thats not a problem for the well known canon. The lens is for portrait and so nobody in Canon country cares for ****ing AF quickness.)

It will cost you only 400 Euro."

Had you said:"No thanks I will try a Sigma"!!

Thats Pentax people live!

Rainer

Last edited by TKH; 02-22-2009 at 03:03 AM.
02-22-2009, 03:45 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So what your telling me is to hang on to my Nokton 58/1.4?
You'll have to pry my Nokton 58 from my cold, dead hands!
02-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #27
Inactive Account

The Da* 55mm Still looks pretty good to me - although it is currently out of my reach $$ wise.

Would love to see it compared to the old K 55mm F1.8 (which I think is a superb lens)
02-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This lens is a NEW lens, limited reviews and your all throwing it away over the OP's test results (no insult intended)
''Disclaimer: This is a test by a layman, who does not really know what he is doing.''

I am concerned with the autofocus speed especially with a 1.4 stopped lens, but I for one have not written off this prime just yet.

Taff
02-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
This lens is a NEW lens, limited reviews and your all throwing it away over the OP's test results (no insult intended)
''Disclaimer: This is a test by a layman, who does not really know what he is doing.''

I am concerned with the autofocus speed especially with a 1.4 stopped lens, but I for one have not written off this prime just yet.

Taff
I don't think anyone's throwing it away Taff...we are all saying that at this time the benefits of owning this lens are far outweighed by the cost.

Marginal improvement in IQ, equal bokeh, and much slower AF do not equate to the additional $600 cost in many of our books.

If the DA* was priced at $400 or so...I think we'd all be lining up to get it.

c[_]
02-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
This lens I was waiting with great anticipation, sold few lenses to fund this * lens, but...

Unfortunately, I too will pass on it. Thank you for the tests and samples! Aside from small optical disappointments (to some degree, but more so at that price), slow AF (again, specially at that price), to me is simply unacceptable.

So for better or for worse, I placed an order for another lens, order confirmation reads:

"Sigma SI5014PE Normal 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF..."

One can only hope for a good performance, fast and accurate AF, right? Will see later next week.

Regards,
D
Duh Vinci - This lens is now on my radar. Would you be kind enough to let us know your findings with the Sigma lens when it arrives and you've had a chance to play with it?

c[_]