Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
help me cover my 50/1.2

OK, so I have a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.2 with a 52mm filter. To keep it safe I've got a non-original pinch cap. I also have a generic metal 52mm thread hood. It's a wide-angle, since I originally bought it for a 28mm lens.

I have three problems with this. First, the hood falls off too regularly. Second, I want to be able to cap the hood itself, so I don't need to take the hood on and off. Third, I don't want a hood this wide. I shouldn't need to with a 50mm.

Anyone got a solution that works for this lens?

02-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
OK, so I have a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.2 with a 52mm filter. To keep it safe I've got a non-original pinch cap. I also have a generic metal 52mm thread hood. It's a wide-angle, since I originally bought it for a 28mm lens.

I have three problems with this. First, the hood falls off too regularly. Second, I want to be able to cap the hood itself, so I don't need to take the hood on and off. Third, I don't want a hood this wide. I shouldn't need to with a 50mm.

Anyone got a solution that works for this lens?
This HAMA rubber collapsible lens hood screws into the 52mm filter threads, extends to a length suitable for a normal lens on film, and longer for a normal lens on an APSc sensor digital camera (narrower Field of View). A 55mm lens cap will clip onto the outside of the screw in metal ring on the hood.

Hama | 52mm Screw-In Rubber Zoom Lens Hood | HA-929.52

hama.de | 00092952 HamaGegenlichtblende Gummi "Telematic S", 52 mm

Alternatively you could check KEH and ebay from time to time for the original round or square fitting hood, but that would only be suitable for film. You would need to also buy a larger clip-on lens cap for the round hood. For the rectangular hood the solution is tougher.

I have a New Old Stock (box, papers, case - unused) 52mm Round Hood for this lens - PM me if interested.

clip-on hood: PH-R52
clip-on hood: PH-S52

Hama also made a rectangular plastic clip-on hood with a fitting cap for video camera use that works well for your needs but you would have to find one 2nd hand.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-21-2009 at 07:43 PM.
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon make a slew of lenses with 52mm threads, and they make terrific metal hoods.
Look for a hood for their 85/1.8 lens (for cropped sensor) or 50mm lens (for film use). You might have to modify the 85mm hood slightly for vignetting, but you might not, too.
I've heard that plastic snap lids from tubes of potato chips (Pringles?) can sometimes be made into slip on lens caps for covering lens hoods, but whether anything is available that narrow, I do not know.
02-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember someone talking about a metal B+W hood. They used a 58mm pinch cap on the hood, not the lens. I could only find this:

B+W | 52mm Screw-In Metal Telephoto Lens Hood #960 | 65041207

Which doesn't say what focal length it's for or how long it is or the end diameter.

02-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I remember someone talking about a metal B+W hood. They used a 58mm pinch cap on the hood, not the lens. I could only find this:

B+W | 52mm Screw-In Metal Telephoto Lens Hood #960 | 65041207,,,
That's basically what I've done, except that I got an inexpensive metal Chinese screw-in hood off eBay. Was able to pick up a 58mm Pentax new style pinch cap that fits the hood. In the lens pouch, I keep a 52mm pinch cap for when I don't have the hood mounted, but it seems like the hood is pretty much on the lens anyway. My hood doesn't look as deep as the B+W hood.
02-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
That's basically what I've done, except that I got an inexpensive metal Chinese screw-in hood off eBay. Was able to pick up a 58mm Pentax new style pinch cap that fits the hood. In the lens pouch, I keep a 52mm pinch cap for when I don't have the hood mounted, but it seems like the hood is pretty much on the lens anyway. My hood doesn't look as deep as the B+W hood.
Yeah, that B&W hood looks pretty deep and does say it's for "telephoto". Do you know which eBay hood you ended up with? Different ones might have different end diameters. I might just follow your exact example.