Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA begins... Vivitar 70-150mm

I hope that I made a good impulse buy.

After shooting the concert last night I was really wanting a longer lens, but being short on cash... I was trolling ebay and came across a Vivitar 70-150mm zoom lens with Vivitar UV1 filter

"This lens is in excellent working condition and is an excellent addition for the Pentax enthusiast who wants to take excellent telephoto shots. This lens comes with a Vivitar UV1 filter, and back lens cap. The F stop range is 3.8 to 22."

The image posted is the "stovepipe" version, which (if my research was correct) means it was one of the Kiron made Vivitars.

I also hope that it will fit my ist DS. I believe it has a K Mount. The description just said "Pentax" mount. My searches never really mentioned which mount.

Grand total with shipping came to $41.75, so even if I need some sort of adapter cost...not too bad. (by the way, the seller had another one and had a 70-300mm listed as well.) Anyway, Im sure I'll post again when I get it and try it out.

slinky

03-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Haha nono. Stovepipe was the nickname given to the Kiron or Vivitar 28-85mm f2.8-3.8.

You got a 70-150mm. Serial #22---------- right? Yea that means it was made by Kiron. should be a pretty good lens, especially for $42. (<---the answer to all things LBA....#42 :P)

Hey can you link us to the auction page? Wanna see the pictures.
04-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, but I think the looks are similar, big barrel ring instead of 2 rings. I'm actually not certain about the serial... I think it's from that range because of the style of lens, and the fact that the 300mm they list has the #22.... serial.

Here's the link. One of my pet peeves is for images of photo equipment to be out of focus... but I bought it anyway.

eBay: Vivitar 70-150mm zoom lens Pentax mount (item 190097706398 end time Mar-31-07 19:29:05 PDT)

Anywho, if I don't like I I should be able to get the same money out of it... I hope.

slinky
04-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup, I can just make out that "P/K" designation on the base of the lens in the photo. You should be alright.

Nice Buy-It-Now price too! yea converted to 25mm, this should give you a 105-225mm focal length which will be great for portraits!

04-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reassurance on the mount.

Man, I love Pentax's ability to utilizy glass from previous years. The other camera people I know all have the Can-n/N-kon models. I can't wait to show them the old lens on my recent model body, and then show the images it can (hopefully take. I know that they all paid lots and lots more than I have for their 200mm range lens.

Don't get me wrong, they take nice shots, but they sure have a huge investment in their set ups. I want to have a nice range of lenses, but I can't/won't drop thousands on them (unless I start making money off the pictures... then we'll talk).

slinky
04-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #6

Good Lens

I love mine. Use it alot for a long pseudo macro with good results. Bought mine for $41us in excellent shape. It's definately a good addition to any outfit. Have fun!
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

the 2nd number looks like a 2 but even if it's not then it would be an8 and that's as good or better--komine
04-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Most likely Kiron. Although I've seen 80-200/4.5 Komine Vivitars that look pretty robust.

04-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm waiting for tracking information. It's coming all the way across the continent, from CA to NC, but I still hope to have it be this weekend. Going to see the in-laws on Easter and staying for a few days. They're up in WV in a beautiful area.

Also, lots of glass makers and pottery places... Normally those are boring after the first few minutes, but now I can snap some shots while others shop.
04-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I'm waiting for tracking information. It's coming all the way across the continent, from CA to NC, but I still hope to have it be this weekend. Going to see the in-laws on Easter and staying for a few days. They're up in WV in a beautiful area.

Also, lots of glass makers and pottery places... Normally those are boring after the first few minutes, but now I can snap some shots while others shop.
Haha glassmakers? Aren't you holding some nice glass now? :P
04-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got the tracking info and they did not mail it until today, so it won't be here until next Tuesday... after I'm on my trip. Dissappointing. If they'd shipped it first thing Monday I could've had it Friday, and used it on my trip.