Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Metering Question On Older Lenses

The situation is that the local camera shop is closing out the used Pentax stuff. There are some "A" lenses I am interested in. The 50mm wouldn't meter.

I understand how it wouldn't do what it can't, AF or AV blah-blah. I don't understand why it wouldn't meter. Is there something I am missing?

One item I did purchased was a 1.4 rear converter. Only a few shots with it so far so I am not sure how it works. Does pass through control of speed and aperture.

There was an off brand lens that said Pentax P/K mount on it. It wouldn't mount on my k100d but it would mount on the converter. When on the converter it also wouldn't meter.

When The lenses wouldn't meter the VF would flash f in the bottom right corner.

They also had some M42 mounts. Sending away for an adapter. Then I'll check them out.

Thanks.

02-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture ring must be set in the A position, otherwise the camera thinks it's a non-A lens. That sounds like what has happened here.

The lens that mounted on the converter but not your camera may have an extended light shield that's running into parts of the newer camera mount. The light shield is next to the aperture lever. It will look much bigger than one on a Pentax lens. It can be removed and filed down so it's the same shape as a Pentax lens.
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The aperture ring must be set in the A position, otherwise the camera thinks it's a non-A lens. That sounds like what has happened here.

The lens that mounted on the converter but not your camera may have an extended light shield that's running into parts of the newer camera mount. The light shield is next to the aperture lever. It will look much bigger than one on a Pentax lens. It can be removed and filed down so it's the same shape as a Pentax lens.
Thank you!... Thought I checked that out... Hummm... OK will check out on Monday and if they meter I'll get them and play! The Macro function on the 50 sounds neat.
02-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Damn Brit

It's quite easy to knock the lens out of the A position when mounting it, I do it all the time, especially with smaller lenses because you have to hold them so close to the camera body to mount them.
The other possibility is the contacts, try rubbing on them with an eraser.