Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

DA or FA limiteds?

I actually shoot with a Fuji S5Pro which I love for people and especially indoors. I use a Sigma 30 f/1.4, a 50 f/1.8 and a 105 f/2.5 AIS.
But besides the fact I don´t like that much the Fuji for outdoors, I really miss Pentax.
So, now that I have a little money aside I decided to get into the Pentax system again, especially for outdoors - candids, portraits and general street photography. I also want some lightcombo and that is where the Limiteds come in the equation.
First I was not sure about to get the K20D, the K200D and the k-m but have almost decided for the K200D - cheaper than the K20D and almost as good. The k-m is indeed lighter but it misses some important stuff plus the IQ rendering is quite discussed in forums for diferent results while the K200D is a safer bet in this matter. (at least in my opinion) - plus I can get a K200D a little cheaper than the k-m, so there is no context here.
Since I don´t need the lens for lowlight but apreciate a considerable amount of DOF I´m not sure about DA or FA limiteds.
I´m considering either the FA 43 f/1.9 and the FA 77 f/1.8 against the DA 35 f/2.8 (or DA 40 /2.8) and the DA 70 f/2.4
In terms of price there should be no discussion since the DA are much cheaper than the FA limiteds.
But are the FA that much better in terms of IQ than the DA discussed here or is the diference minimal besides the speed?

I could aslo get a FA 43 f/1.9 and the DA 70 f/2.4 and have a little of both... still the FA 43 f/1.9 costs 100 Euros more than the DA 35 and 150 Euros more than the DA 40.
This time I don´t wan´t to trash my money in a crazy way for almost no diference at all... I´m no pro at all, just an hobbyst with love for primes and shooting my familly, friends and stuff.

Please give me your honest opinion.

02-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think this topic is one of the most talked about on this forum. it is recomeded to do a search.
bottom line you can not go wrong with Pentax Ltd's

the DA smaller, faster focus, cheaper
the FA faster apertures, works on FF and film

choose your drug you can not go wrong

I personally choose the FA BC I also shoot film but will get the 40 and 70 DA just BC I love the size so much
02-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Pick the focal length that will work best for you. They are all great lenses.

c[_]
02-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The other thing is the FA Ltd are more prone to flare (AFAIK because I don't remember people w/ the DA lenses complaining about it). You can see how much it is if you look down in this forum a bit at my thread about the 77Ltd hood not being big enough...

That said, if light and prime is what you're after, get a set of pancakes and be done w/ it. The FA Ltd are solid metal jewels and at least the 77Ltd is quite a bit heftier than the 50/1.4...

02-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

FA vs DA
aperture ring vs no aperture ring
larger vs smaller
faster vs slower
more CA vs less CA
more $$$ vs less $$$
no quick shift vs quick shift focus

in terms of quality, i think the differences are much more personal taste than anything else.
photozone has tests of all the lenses you are considering and try some searches on flickr to see if a particular quality really interests you.
02-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your desire is for high quality outdoor lenses with small size, light weight, and excellent optical quality, I'd recommend you go with the DA35 and DA 70. The DA 35 is optically amazing, very small, tightly constructed, and has the added bonus of macro. The 35mm perspective is also probably more versatile for you than the 40mm, for not much more money. The DA 70 is smaller, cheaper, and less prone to PF and CA than the 77, so if you don't need the extra speed (only about a stop anyways) I'd call that the way to go.
02-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
FA vs DA
aperture ring vs no aperture ring
larger vs smaller
faster vs slower
more CA vs less CA
more $$$ vs less $$$
no quick shift vs quick shift focus

in terms of quality, i think the differences are much more personal taste than anything else.
photozone has tests of all the lenses you are considering and try some searches on flickr to see if a particular quality really interests you.
Pretty much right on. I'd like to add another difference. For manual focus, FA is better; as it has a longer throw, so you can be more precise. But, the shorter throw of the DA Limited result in faster auto focus.

02-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I'm still one of the believers that Pentax will go full-frame someday. I don't want to be stuck with too much DA glass when that happens. So these days I'm on the hunt for what FA lenses I can get my hands on.

That said, I've come to realize through what I've read and experienced that quality-wise you can't go wrong with either. Unless you're also paranoid like me about buying not too many DA lenses, I agree with the post about just picking the focal lengths that will work the best for you, whether DA or FA.
02-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by coloseu Quote
First I was not sure about to get the K20D, the K200D and the k-m but have almost decided for the K200D - cheaper than the K20D and almost as good.

Please give me your honest opinion.
Honestly, having just upgraded from the CCD K10 to the CMOS K20 this past month, I couldn't disagree more. The way noise is handled between the two is light years apart. Perhaps if you will be shooting STRICTLY outdoors, then yeah maybe. Otherwise, pony up for the K20 and happy shooting...
02-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Honestly, having just upgraded from the CCD K10 to the CMOS K20 this past month, I couldn't disagree more. The way noise is handled between the two is light years apart. Perhaps if you will be shooting STRICTLY outdoors, then yeah maybe. Otherwise, pony up for the K20 and happy shooting...
Well, first of all thank you very much for your replies. Great stuff.
I know the K20D is superior to the K10D for several reasonsand despite the K200D shares the K10D sensor, I believed the rest was improved. For example, the K10D JPEGS were always recognised to be kind of soft, but this issue was adressed with the K200D. Also noise at high ISO seems to be much better with the K200D than with the K10D. In fact, the k-m seems to be even better than the other 2 older models.
I know the K20D is in its own league, but for the price diference I´m not sure if the K200D is not a better investment.
But please feel free to correct me and clarify my actual opinion.

Thanks
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For example, the K10D JPEGS were always recognised to be kind of soft, but this issue was adressed with the K200D.
More accurate would be to say, "dpreview didn't care for the K10d jpeg, but liked the K200D a bit better". I don't anyone else had any serious issues with JPEG quality from either. It's all pretty subjective.

QuoteQuote:
In fact, the k-m seems to be even better than the other 2 older models.
No, the noise performance as measured by GordonBGood on dpreview showed it a little worse than the K200D, although probably not enough that anyone would be likely to notice in real life.

FWIW, it's tough to do noise comparisons between cameras unless you have both cameras right in front of you. You can see great high ISO images form the k20D, and clearly less good ones from the K200D - but you can also see examples where the difference isn't actually all that great.

Anyhow, I'm happy enough with my K200D. I have no doubts the K20D is "better" in virtually all ways, assuming you're OK with the difference in size and price - but I wasn't.
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
SouthShoreRob

Well, first of all thank you very much for your replies. Great stuff.
I know the K20D is superior to the K10D for several reasonsand despite the K200D shares the K10D sensor, I believed the rest was improved. For example, the K10D JPEGS were always recognised to be kind of soft, but this issue was adressed with the K200D. Also noise at high ISO seems to be much better with the K200D than with the K10D. In fact, the k-m seems to be even better than the other 2 older models.
I know the K20D is in its own league, but for the price diference I´m not sure if the K200D is not a better investment.
But please feel free to correct me and clarify my actual opinion.

Thanks
I can not correct you, nor clarify your actual opinion, but I can try to persuade you with visual evidence. Two hockey photos, same rink, same lens (FA*200mm), same 1600 ISO but two different bodies: the K10 and then the K20.

Two very different real-world results. Original file opened in PSE, cropped at 300x300, no processing involved. Saved at maximum 10 setting.

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 03-17-2009 at 05:16 AM.
02-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #13

Just my very personal experiance

I have owned the 21mm 40mm 43mm 70mm and 77mm. If I were to re buy any of them I would first get the 21mm and the 77mm and then the 40mm. I think for outdoors a wide angle like a 21mm is a must. Image wise I can't really put my finger on why I loved the 77mm more than the 70mm but I just did. As for the 43mm I really didn't like it any better than the 40mm and I prefered the slightly wider angle and tiny size. I really loved the primes. Either way you really can't go wrong.
02-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
I can not correct you, nor clarify your actual opinion, but I can try to persuade you with visual evidence. Two hockey photos, same rink, same lens (FA*200mm), same 1600 ISO but two different bodies: the K10 and then the K20.

Two very different real-world results. Original file opened in PSE, cropped at 300x300, no processing involved. Saved at maximum 10 setting.
Thanks for making me want to shell out another ~700 USD.
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #15

I second that btw- from real worl usage of the K10D and the K20D the K20D I would say is between a stop and a half to two stops better than the K10D. With the K10D I couldn't stand going over 640 and really tried not to go over 400 with the K20D I wouldn't go over 1600 though somehow even the 1600 seems somehow better to me than the K10D did at 640.