Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tamron AF Aspherical LD (IF) 28-200mm-please advise

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I just inherited a Pentax ZX-7 with a Tamron AF Asperical LD (IF) 28-200mm lens on it.

My first question is will the lens work on my K20d without any issues? (Like pins in the wrong place, etc.???)

I read a few posts on here about this lens. I'm just wondering if anyone could add their thoughts. Is it worth keeping and using?

Thanks for your help! Susan

02-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

is it the XR model? that was the one i have, it's a bit smaller than the first non-XR model.
the lens will work perfectly on any DSLR body.

if you want a cheap af superzoom, that is probably your best choice (the pentax/tamron 18-250 on digital is much much more). i had one for a while, and it did the job that it was required to do. sure, it was lacking in sharpness in certain areas and i think the colours were slightly 'off' in my opinion, but overall, it's a pretty decent lens. i found mines very well built with no zoom creep.
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up an XR copy of this lens on the marketplace here as a budget walkaround zoom. I'm quite happy with it- any minor shortcomings are easily corrected in post processing, and it's handy and versatile.

I tend to shoot outdoors at f/8 most of the time- I don't consider this useful indoors, I save that for my MF primes.

I used this lens almost exclusively on a trip to France last fall. I loved it! A bit soft at 200mm, yep- it has lots of faults, such as nasty CA at the longer end of the zoom, but for the money, and a little PP? Can't beat it!

A few sample shots, all PP'ed in lightroom. Mostly exposure adjustments/tonal curves, sometimes a bit of sharpening around 40% with 60% masking, but not every shot:

Last edited by virgilr; 02-22-2009 at 03:08 PM.
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your help!

K100D -- Thank you for the informaiton on my lens! It isn't an XR model. It says
"Tamron AF Aspherical LD (IF) 28-200mm" on the lens. You helped calm
my fears about mounting it on my k20d!

Virgilr -- Those are such great shots!! The colors came out beautifully. I loved the
ironwork pictures.

You both encouraged me to get out and try the lens today. I had a hard time getting it in focus. I do wear contacts, so maybe it is me. I probably just need to play with it more. I did get a couple of decent shots. See below.
Thanks again! Susan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Susan-

Way to go and just give it a try! I know the initial concerns of compatibility are always a little daunting. But, as I found out once I got my K100D super a couple years ago, almost any lens that was designed to fit a Pentax camera can work on the the digital SLR bodies- you just have to read and ask if there are specific concerns or issues about your particular lens, which you did!

There are also some fantastic manual focus lenses out there that you can get for good bargains, and they make shooting so much fun! You may have to read/ask about how to use them, but basically, any lens that is designated as K mount for Pentax can be used with your camera.

I would always suggest to check first before trying to attach a lens to your camera, especially if the lens isn't manufactured by Pentax. But by and large, most lenses that are auto focus and auto aperture that are in K mount for Pentax will work fine! Sigma, Tamron, Cosina, to name a few companies that make lenses for K mount.

The last thing I wanted to say, for focusing problems, is have you adjusted the diopter for your viewfinder? Just above the viewfinder where you look through when shooting, there is a little piece of plastic with ridges on it. sticking up slightly from the frame of the camera. This slides side to side, and adjusts how you see focus through the viewfinder. The best thing to do is to use an auto focus lens, and focus on a subject that is clear and bright with details- like a tree, a fence, etc. Not anything too far away. Once the auto focus confirms that the focus is locked, adjust the diopter slider left or right until what YOU see is in focus. That's all there is to it!
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Virgilr,

Thanks so much for the information on the manual lenses! I did have one from my old ME Super. Also, I just bought a couple of Takumars. So, I'm excited to get out and try to use them. I've been reading up on a lot of tips here for using them. Plus, I've seen some of the great pictures that people have shared!

Thank you for the tip on the diopter. I plan to go out later today and use your focussing tip!

Thank you for taking the time to help me out! Susan