Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
It's quite an astonishing lens when you find it's sweet spot.
Your first impressions mirror my own. I was/am hesitant to proclaim the Rikenon as some sort of "wonder lens" since I have not done a good controlled test. All I can say is that it appears to be as sharp as any thing I have ever used.

Steve

(Pretty good for £15 indeed!)

04-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
Forum Member

I had the XR Rikenon 50mm f/2 for a while and ended up selling it on, not a keeper for me. Image quality is really very good for the price you pay, but the build quality is definitely lacking.

I ended up picking up the XR Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 very cheaply and that was my fast 50 for about a year, until I moved to the Pentax FA50mm f/1.4

I found the XR Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 superior to the f/2 in every way. Definitely sharper, better colours and better build quality. Both the f/2 and f/1.7 were in equivalent optical condition (clear glass, snappy aperture, etc.)

Here's two samples from the 50mm f/1.7:

04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juice Quote
I had the XR Rikenon 50mm f/2 for a while and ended up selling it on, not a keeper for me. Image quality is really very good for the price you pay, but the build quality is definitely lacking.

I ended up picking up the XR Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 very cheaply and that was my fast 50 for about a year, until I moved to the Pentax FA50mm f/1.4

I found the XR Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 superior to the f/2 in every way. Definitely sharper, better colours and better build quality. Both the f/2 and f/1.7 were in equivalent optical condition (clear glass, snappy aperture, etc.)
Hi,
You had issues with the build of the XR 50/2? Both of mine are all metal with the exception of the rubberized focus grip. The only build issue I have had is a very slight wobble of the lens barrel. There was a later version (not labeled XR) of the 50/2 that was plastic with a less sophisticated optical formula. I have handled that lens and it feels cheap, cheap, cheap. Perhaps yours was one of those perhaps?

Steve

(BTW...the XR 50/1.7 looks to have been a good lens for you. I have heard mixed things about that lens, but you definitely had a good copy.)