Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens Mount ID?

I do not recognize this mount. Does anyone here know what mount this is? Thanks.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 09-25-2009 at 09:00 AM.
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A+, #1 resource:
SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide
Steve

(Looks like something Canon to me...FD?)
02-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like an FD mount...and from the numbers...a Vivitar?
02-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was thinking Canon FD and there's safety in numbers right?

02-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely Canon FD compatible

This looks like the mount preceding FD (FL I think) which is fully FD compatible.
Not really sure why I've kept mine...
Completely useless for any modern camera although I guess you could convert them to work as macro lenses.
For its day the A-1 was pretty cool but I look at it now and wonder how I got by. Still, it was smaller and lighter than the K20D, had just as good a prism and focus screen, lasted for years on a little battery and could use film from iso 00006 to iso 12800.
I still hate Canon for switching mounts 20 years on!

Last edited by Matthew; 02-23-2009 at 06:11 AM.
02-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
Completely useless for any modern camera although I guess you could convert them to work as macro lenses....
Maybe not useless.

If the Bayonet mount is removed, there is a good chance it can be replaced with a flange-type m42-K adapter. The thickness of the FD mount is sufficient to make up for the flange-distance specs for FD & K lenses.

Dave
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

People are converting FDs to EF all the time, especially the Ls and SSCs.

But yeah...some are harder or impossible to convert than others.

If this is a Vivitar as it appears from the numbers...just look out for an M42 or K mount if a conversion is too much.
02-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve, that is a nice guide, quickly stored away in my favorites--thank you.

My first run through the guide had me thinking FD too, but enter Matthew and his discussion of FL and I'm not sure. The lens is defintely a Vivitar.

QuoteQuote:
Ryans: Looks like an FD mount...and from the numbers...a Vivitar?
Ryan, to which numbers are you referring? Do you mean those faint little green ones at the pic's base?

I bumped into the lens, while searching for Pentax-mount (K or M42) Vivitars: the 135 f2.8 & its close focus counterpart; and the 200 f 3.5--Komine built. I put in a 99 cent bid and won the lens, most unexpectedly, at first. Now that I realize the doubtful utility of the lens, the win @ 99 cents makes more sense.

But the lens looks to be an excellent copy and even has a hard case. All of the good help and direction here may inspire me to attempt a conversion. I am very grateful for all of the help.

As always, I can not thank all the good people here enough!--but thank you anyway!

02-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, the green/white theme looks very familiar to me...my Viv 28/2.5 has the same ones

I would say...take the mount off, to start. Just watch out for the aperture's ball bearing. You might find the lens is easily converted to PK/M42. I suspect the mount comes off, leaving the rest of the lens as-is (kind of like an Adaptall).

Grab a flanged M42 -> PK adapter if it works out and you might just be in luck for a conversion
02-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #10

It does look like the original Canon breech lock mount.
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a Canon FD mount. The FL mount was the one from before full-aperture metering, and has only the one lever at the bottom for stop-down. Occasionally you'll see an 'R' mount lens, which looks the same as an FL, but the stopdown pin moves in the other direction.

The bit of confusion is between the FD breechlock mount and the 'New FD' bayonet system, (found only on Canon-branded lenses, you can recognize that by the release button on the lens mount itself: Sigma also made an imitation 'New FD mount' which was nothing more than a breech-mount with a red release button on the ring, though,) The 'New FD' was really just a re-engineering to make FD lenses attach more like a bayonet lens. Nothing about compatibility or functioning changed, though.

Here, I can line the three up for you. Forgive the hasty snap: I'm nursing a cold.

To the left, over there, is the FL mount: not much to see, there.

The middle is the FD breech mount, like the lens in question. A couple of models, at least, will also have a handy little switch in there, as well, for manual (non-auto-stopdown) aperture, which is handy for things like old extension tubes and reversing rings and the like, but there aren't too many like that.

On the right is the 'New FD' bayonet. Same workings, as you can maybe see: it's just arranged so that the whole lens turns to bayonet on, instead of just that ring.

Hey, btw, what lens *is* it? I still shoot FD for film, mostly.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-24-2009 at 11:08 AM.
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's a Canon FD mount. The FL mount was the one from before full-aperture metering, and has only the one lever at the bottom for stop-down. Occasionally you'll see an 'R' mount lens, which looks the same as an FL, but the stopdown pin moves in the other direction.

The bit of confusion is between the FD breechlock mount and the 'New FD' bayonet system, (found only on Canon-branded lenses, you can recognize that by the release button on the lens mount itself: Sigma also made an imitation 'New FD mount' which was nothing more than a breech-mount with a red release button on the ring, though,) The 'New FD' was really just a re-engineering to make FD lenses attach more like a bayonet lens. Nothing about compatibility or functioning changed, though.
You are correct. I just couldn't remember the term "breechlock". Sorry for the confusion.
02-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
People are converting FDs to EF all the time, especially the Ls and SSCs.

But yeah...some are harder or impossible to convert than others.
A bit too much reference to mirror shaving for my liking.
In the late 80s or early 90s I recall taking the measurements between my FD lenses and one of the first EOS bodies and decided it was too close to contemplate.
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

QuoteQuote:
Here, I can line the three up for you. Forgive the hasty snap: I'm nursing a cold.
To the left, over there, is the FL mount: not much to see, there.

The middle is the FD breech mount, like the lens in question. A couple of models, at least, will also have a handy little switch in there, as well, for manual (non-auto-stopdown) aperture, which is handy for things like old extension tubes and reversing rings and the like, but there aren't too many like that.

On the right is the 'New FD' bayonet. Same workings, as you can maybe see: it's just arranged so that the whole lens turns to bayonet on, instead of just that ring.

Hey, btw, what lens *is* it? I still shoot FD for film, mostly.
Ratmagiclady: This is a thorough, clear and thought-provoking discussion of the subject matter. It is amazing the amount of knowledge which resides here, at this forum. I never cease to be amazed. Thank you very much--Everyone!